Bob the World Builder Interviews Kyle Brink

darjr

I crit!
One thing that strikes me. When the question is a tough one Kyle often says “I dint know I’m not a part of that department or that was before my time” yet he goes into great detail about things that are positive, in an authoritative way, about areas he’s stated are not in his area or were before his time.

Note however I am probably biased.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
One thing that strikes me. When the question is a tough one Kyle often says “I dint know I’m not a part of that department or that was before my time” yet he goes into great detail about things that are positive, in an authoritative way, about areas he’s stated are not in his area or were before his time.

Note however I am probably biased.
Corporate spin 101.

dave2008

Legend
@Retreater and @Morrus Kyle talks about what he thinks monetization means in this interview (though my guess is it is not really up to him):
  • More options for players
  • Make play experience better
  • VTT(may have been talking abot 3PP VTT) & Digital Playspace (3D VTT?)
  • Digital Playspace (starts about the 55:00 min mark):
    • Will have assets built-in, "enough stuff there to play"
    • Can purchase additional assets (says buy an ogre instead of a standard orc - I hope the ogre is included too, but I get his point)
    • Not doing lute box / random purchases. Direct purchase of assets only - not gambling
    • Mentions buying fireball animation as an upgrade.*

*This is the only one I have some issue with. I would hope included spells (and monsters, etc.) come with animations, sounds, etc. If you want to add more assets or upgrade how they look - I am fine with that being a cost. However, if you have to buy the spell in pieces (mechanics, sound, animation), then that could be an issue IMO. I think it should be included, but could tolerate a minimal cost ($0.01).

Last edited:

Loren the GM

Adventurer
Publisher
Biggest take away so far for me that hasn't been covered in other interviews (not finished listening) is around the 33:00 minute mark. In addition to the scrambling to put out actual changes to the OGL and not wanting to communicate until something concrete could be said so as not to flame the fire, the internal leaks shut down internal communication. This made it harder to create external communication. For instance, that first statement was not seen by Kyle until it literally got posted, because the internal systems of communication shut down because of a lack of trust as the leaks continued.

This feels very accurate and helps explain this part of the breakdown in communication to me, and why that first public response was so bad.

dave2008

Legend
@Morrus, some more information.

• OneD&D is intended to be published in multiple languages as soon as possible after release in English. Can not commit on a specific timeline / date.
  • There will be a "boxed set" for the core books. But unsure yet if original release will be staggered or all at once.
  • Haven't come back to Dark Sun the setting because it has problematic elements and it is difficult to be faithful to the source material and update to current standards.
  • Playspace and DnD Beyond will be separate apps/websites that will talk to each other. Playspace and DnD Beyond are not supposed to used at the same time. Each are fully functional separately, but they can talk to each other.
  • DnD Beyond content can be used in Playspace (carry over your beyond character sheet to Playspace). I believe I heard that, but I will have to check

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Biggest take away so far for me that hasn't been covered in other interviews (not finished listening) is around the 33:00 minute mark. In addition to the scrambling to put out actual changes to the OGL and not wanting to communicate until something concrete could be said so as not to flame the fire, the internal leaks shut down internal communication. This made it harder to create external communication. For instance, that first statement was not seen by Kyle until it literally got posted, because the internal systems of communication shut down because of a lack of trust as the leaks continued.

This feels very accurate and helps explain this part of the breakdown in communication to me, and why that first public response was so bad.
The bolded part was new to me too, I heard him say the rest of it before. I hadn't thought that before, but it makes sense.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases