Ginny Di interviews WotC's Kyle Brink

Continuing the D&D executive producer's interview tour, gaming influencer Ginny Di asks a WotC's Kyle Brink about the OGL and other things.

Continuing the D&D executive producer's interview tour, gaming influencer Ginny Di asks a WotC's Kyle Brink about the OGL and other things.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There was no live action movie last year and still the Hasbro end of year meeting said Transformers is closest to being a billion dollar brand after MtG.

With respect, "closest to" does not mean it is actually close, or expected to be over that mark without a movie in the market that year.

darjr

I crit!
You seemed to mention the costs of production, but seemed to leave out that there's another company in the middle that expect to make outright profit beyond those costs.
Ah.

I meant to add to the list of folks in line expecting a payout.

Haplo781

Legend
That assertion really calls for a reliable citation.

In addition, franchises including Dungeons & Dragons, Transformers, Peppa Pig and NERF will each execute brand plans designed to generate more than US$500 million in annual revenue by 2027. These IPs alone are expected to account for more than 50% of the toyco’s revenue each year.

teitan

Legend
So this implies that counter to the speculation in this thread that Transformers is NOT a 500m brand at this time except when a movie is out. The studio series toy line is not film dependent because it exists independent of a particular movie so it wouldn’t count towards revenue generated in a given year from a film release. The last film, Bumblebee, didn’t break 500 million on its own but was much smaller in budget than the first five. That was about 4 years ago. That was a much lower amount than the heyday of 500m years of the first two films. Maybe Rise of the Beasts will be a massive hit? I’m not seeing it doing well but could be. The movie does have a toyline that looks pretty cool.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So this implies that counter to the speculation in this thread that Transformers is NOT a 500m brand at this time except when a movie is out. The studio series toy line is not film dependent because it exists independent of a particular movie so it wouldn’t count towards revenue generated in a given year from a film release. The last film, Bumblebee, didn’t break 500 million on its own but was much smaller in budget than the first five. That was about 4 years ago. That was a much lower amount than the heyday of 500m years of the first two films. Maybe Rise of the Beasts will be a massive hit? I’m not seeing it doing well but could be. The movie does have a toyline that looks pretty cool.
The toys are perennially cool, so I'm sure they are fine.

Remove ads

Remove ads