OGL Ginny Di on the OGL

DarkCrisis

Legend
"Nothing against her, but here's something against her," is not an impressive stance.

And, as for retirement, maybe you didn't get the memo, but the days when you expect a single job carries you for decades to retirement are gone.
Pointing out that someone’s circumstances can change is “something against her”? Which they did. Okay.

And yeah no kidding, I’ve had like 10 jobs since I started working. Last time it took me 6 months to get a new one. I’m well versed in “things not working out as expected in today market.”

Pointing out that someone’s circumstances can change is “something against her”? Which they did. Okay.

And yeah no kidding, I’ve had like 10 jobs since I started working. Last time it took me 6 months to get a new one. I’m well versed in “things not working out as expected in today market.”
But that's not what you said. You specifically pointed out "D&D fan girl on YouTube will only take you so far." which is, frankly kind of demeaning to content creators. yeah there are some that are basically fanboys/girls with viewers, but there are also some that put in a lot of work for their craft. Making a sweeping statement like you did is showing a bias against her profession, whether you meant it or not.

DarkCrisis

Legend
But that's not what you said. You specifically pointed out "D&D fan girl on YouTube will only take you so far." which is, frankly kind of demeaning to content creators. yeah there are some that are basically fanboys/girls with viewers, but there are also some that put in a lot of work for their craft. Making a sweeping statement like you did is showing a bias against her profession, whether you meant it or not.
Oooohhh. Yeah no, that’s not how I meant to come off. My apologizes.

More power to her. I think she does a fine job. I just think that a career as a streamer is very volatile. Much like any celebrity-like career. Actually I’d say maybe more so. But I could be wrong, because I don’t know that much about it behind the scenes.

That’s all I was trying to say.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I hope most of them can pivot to RPGs in general rather than just D&D. There’s a lot of talent out there. The drive and passion is still there, it just needs to be refocused to other games rather than all pointed at…whatever kind of pseudo video game this mediocre lifestyle brand will become.
The issue with "RPGs in general" is that any other RPG has a lot less audience than D&D does. And when making money from advertising and sponsorship, that's a huge dip.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Oooohhh. Yeah no, that’s not how I meant to come off. My apologizes.

Fair enough. And thanks for offering the correction.

If I may give a note about why you were read that way? You referred to her as a "fan girl". Think about that for a moment.

You put focus on gender, as if that's actually relevant, and position her as not an adult.

When has "fan girl" or "fanboy" ever been used other than to be dismissive?

"Fan girl on YouTube." "Successful and popular professional gaming content creator." See the difference?

DarkCrisis

Legend
Fair enough. And thanks for offering the correction.

If I may give a note about why you were read that way? You referred to her as a "fan girl". Think about that for a moment.

You put focus on gender, as if that's actually relevant, and position her as not an adult.

When has "fan girl" or "fanboy" ever been used other than to be dismissive?

"Fan girl on YouTube." "Successful and popular professional gaming content creator." See the difference?
I've never used them that way. I'm a fanboy of RPGs and video games. Just like embracing the word geek or nerd.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
As of a month ago, sure.
Really, in the past month other RPGs have grown to be the size of D&D over the past year?

Please, do inform us.

Share going away from D&D does not mean that share is getting funneled into a single RPG. Or even that that many people are playing less D&D - just not planning on buying anything new.

Gradine

Final Form (she/they)
She has more YouTube subscribers than Matt Colville. She's been personally tapped by the D&D brand on at least one occasion. Can we move past the part where we pretend to be incredulous over her notoriety because she doesn't have a naughty word beard?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
But I’m not backing your point. Your point is wrong.

Your presented logic did. Sorry.

But, to be slightly more constructive about it, my point was expressing a generalization, in the form of a question.

Pointing out that the generalization isn't an absolute does not prove that the generalization is invalid, or that the generalization doesn't apply to the case in question.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4