Bob World Builder is soliciting interview questions for D&D Executive Producer Kyle Brink

Dausuul

Legend
I think there is a pretty strong chance of the 3E and 3.5E SRDs getting released to Creative Commons. From WotC's point of view, there is very little downside to doing that.

The 4E SRD might be a tougher sell, since it wasn't previously available under the OGL, so they're releasing genuinely new material for open use.

Pre-3E editions would require crafting a new SRD from scratch. I think at that point Wizards would be better off just gesturing in the direction of OSRIC.

Haplo781

Legend
I think there is a pretty strong chance of the 3E and 3.5E SRDs getting released to Creative Commons. From WotC's point of view, there is very little downside to doing that.

The 4E SRD might be a tougher sell, since it wasn't previously available under the OGL, so they're releasing genuinely new material for open use.

Pre-3E editions would require crafting a new SRD from scratch. I think at that point Wizards would be better off just gesturing in the direction of OSRIC.
People are pissed. They need to actually give something up. Otherwise it's "haha sorry we tried to screw you, how about we just go back to status quo and forget this ever happened" and that's not gonna fly.

In the end, the one question I really want answered is how they are going to fix the OGL 1.0a - in a binding legal way- so that nobody can try to deauthorize it in the future. In reading the comments in the Bob the World Builder discussion on the issue, that appears to be one of the three biggest questions everyone has.

Haplo781

Legend
In the end, the one question I really want answered is how they are going to fix the OGL 1.0a - in a binding legal way- so that nobody can try to deauthorize it in the future. In reading the comments in the Bob the World Builder discussion on the issue, that appears to be one of the three biggest questions everyone has.
Putting all their content under a CC license removes all incentive for them to mess with the OGL. That's good enough for me.

Remove ads