BoEMII has arrived!!!!

Benben

First Post
Crothian said:
I always thought that the sorcerer was well done before hand. Now it gets more HP, more skill points, more class skills, gains spells earlier (by one level), and doesn't need material components. All that is balanced by a different spell list.

This different spell list completely removes them from the versatility of a wizard. No longer can they use the same spell completion and spell activation magic items. The core sorcerer can just run out and buy a scroll/wand of identify whe he encounters a magic item. Now he doesn't have that option.

Any versatility the sorcerer had has been eliminated. They are now WYSIWYG casters.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
spellsinger

when my Spellsinger prestige class comes out in this month's Asgard, please note that I finished it before BoEM2 came out.

Ahh, but can you claim to have finished the class before the Spellsinger books came out. (In case you've never heard of them, they were a rather blah series that Alan Dean Foster wrote in the mid 80's.)

Crothian

First Post
Benben said:

This different spell list completely removes them from the versatility of a wizard. No longer can they use the same spell completion and spell activation magic items. The core sorcerer can just run out and buy a scroll/wand of identify whe he encounters a magic item. Now he doesn't have that option.

Any versatility the sorcerer had has been eliminated. They are now WYSIWYG casters.

They were never as versatile as a wizard. Sure, a different spell list will limit them from scroll and wand options, but it's not that big of deal. I've never seen a sorcerer try o to become versatile with a big list of wands or scrolls. It does change things a little, but I don't think it's that big a deal.

Matchstick

Adventurer
Say it with me: "optional".

Personally I think the Sorcerer as it is in the PHB is one dimensional and boring. And certainly nowhere NEAR as versitile as a Wizard. I'm not the only one that thought that way, so I'm glad to see this alternate version, and I'm sure other people are too.

Don't even get me started on the Bard in the PHB.

If nothing else, it hurts no one to have MORE options for their campaign rather than less. And if you don't like either of Monte's alternates, no big deal, just stick with what works for you. That's the beauty of it.

Oh, and the domain Sorcerer that Basilisk/Vrylakos did is another good alternative for that class BTW.

Benben

First Post
Crothian said:

They were never as versatile as a wizard. Sure, a different spell list will limit them from scroll and wand options, but it's not that big of deal. I've never seen a sorcerer try o to become versatile with a big list of wands or scrolls. It does change things a little, but I don't think it's that big a deal.

We will have to agree to disagree then. I see this severely curtailing the usefullness of a sorcerer compared to a wizard, and makes it much more likely for me to play a wizard.

Interesting to see haste and fly moved to 4th level, and improved invisibility moved to 5th.

dagger

Adventurer
Well now I might actually play a Sorcerer.......I have a 18th level and 10 level Wizard. Until now the single class Sorcerer seemed like a waste of time too me.

rpghost

First Post
RPGNow.com

Urklore said:
After 2 hours of server's being down, no gateway to IP, and the site being down in general I have successfully purchased and downloaded this holy goodness. Should I scoop?

Hey guys, don't forget about http://www.RPGNow.com which also sells this product and is state side and has been up all day and delivers products within minutes and at fast rates...

James
http://www.RPGHost.com

Benben said:

We will have to agree to disagree then. I see this severely curtailing the usefullness of a sorcerer compared to a wizard, and makes it much more likely for me to play a wizard.

Interesting to see haste and fly moved to 4th level, and improved invisibility moved to 5th.

Monte Cook has stated earlier that he thought Haste should have been placed as a 4th level spell for anyone to begin with....

-Zarrock

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
It seems we should begin to call Monte "Alt_class Monte".
His alt_ranger is great, way better than PHBs, and the new Sorcerer and Bard looks cool and well done...

zorlag

First Post
Most of the book sounds good, now when does the print version come out? :)

As for Montes ranger, it's slightly too good, I had to modify it a bit to make fighter a bit more desirable...I do agree on you that I like it more than PHB ranger anyway (too bland, and same goes for sorcerer. Bard is missing both in flavor and power...)

Z.

Remove ads