Book of Beautiful Horrors

CapnZapp

Legend
I just stumbled over something that (for me) is very rare: a fan-made supplement that blew my socks off.

I was looking for WFRP warpstone but found this instead - the crones are perfect for my upgraded Tome of Annihilation Sewn Sisters. Intriguing mechanics... and the illos! The beautiful illos! :D

(PS. Google Book of Beautiful Horrors by Regerem)

Lancelot

Adventurer
Beautiful illos indeed... taken from other publishers like CD Projekt Red, Games Workshop and Bethesda. Which, one hopes, were authorized. Although somehow I doubt it.

Oh, yeah. Flipping through it, it's not just petty art theft. This is hardcore mugging artists in a dark alley level theft. He credits the artist at the end, but also accepts donations for himself.

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Oh, yeah. Flipping through it, it's not just petty art theft. This is hardcore mugging artists in a dark alley level theft. He credits the artist at the end, but also accepts donations for himself.

You’re sure the art is used without permission?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Anyway, leaving the art to one side, there’s a bunch of great monsters in here, many that would find a leading place in a Curse of Strahd campaign.

Dausuul

Legend
You're saying CD Projekt Red, Games Workshop, and Bethesda all agreed to let their stuff be used in this guy's book? Come on. And 60+ independent artists? You could try to find that many artists willing to give permission, or you could go to art school for 5 years and do it yourself. The second option would be quicker.

No malice involved, I'm sure, but he's still trying to profit off other people's work.

Last edited:

CD Project Red seems like a decent company, but they are not in the habit of giving out permission to use their artwork for things like this. Games Workshop is notoriously litigious about things like this. If I was a gambling man, I would bet money that he doesn't have permission for even half of this art.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
You're saying CD Projekt Red, Games Workshop, and Bethesda all agreed to let their stuff be used in this guy's book? Come on. And 60+ independent artists? You could try to find that many artists willing to give permission, or you could go to art school for 5 years and do it yourself. The second option would be quicker.

No malice involved, I'm sure, but he's still trying to profit off other people's work.

Hmm I guess I didn’t look to closely at the list! :)

dave2008

Legend
I just stumbled over something that (for me) is very rare: a fan-made supplement that blew my socks off.

I was looking for WFRP warpstone but found this instead - the crones are perfect for my upgraded Tome of Annihilation Sewn Sisters. Intriguing mechanics... and the illos! The beautiful illos! :D

(PS. Google Book of Beautiful Horrors by Regerem)

Yep, I've download a couple of versions over the past year or so as it gets added to every so often. There are similarly impressive fan made projects out there as well.

Remove ads