Books - The Blade Itself

Grymar

Explorer
I'm reading The Blade Itself, by Joe Abercrombie, at the moment. I'm only about 1/2 of the way through, but I'm really enjoying the painful, gritty world. It reminds me a lot of the Song of Ice and Fire series.

Has anyone read the other two books in this series (The First Law)? Do they hold up?

Ebon Shar

Explorer
They absolutely hold up, and even get better. They are among my favorite books of the last few years. I'm currently reading his new book, Best Served Cold, set in the same world and it, too, is excellent.

Grymar

Explorer
They absolutely hold up, and even get better. They are among my favorite books of the last few years. I'm currently reading his new book, Best Served Cold, set in the same world and it, too, is excellent.

Great. The only thing I wish he had was a map of the world. I do so much better when I have a visual tool. Maybe there is one online somewhere.

But the action sequences are really incredibly done with a real sense of jeopardy.

<edit> Ahh, interesting blog by Abercrombie on that very subject: http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2007/10/maps-craps.html

Last edited:

Yeah, its a great series.

Only problem is, with this and Dark Heresy, all the kids are going to want to grow up to be Inquisitors ...

Scotley

Hero
I'm down to the last 40 pages or so of "The Blade Itself". I'm glad to hear the rest of his work is as good. I'll be making a pilgrimage to the bookstore shortly.

Speaking of which, I have Best Served Cold on hold for me at the library, to go pick up this evening. I haven't read the trilogy. I understand that this is standalone, although set in the same setting. That's not going to be any kind of problem, is it? I don't mind being spoiled on the trilogy if there's any of that, but I don't want to be floundering because I should understand something that I don't.

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Speaking of which, I have Best Served Cold on hold for me at the library, to go pick up this evening. I haven't read the trilogy. I understand that this is standalone, although set in the same setting. That's not going to be any kind of problem, is it? I don't mind being spoiled on the trilogy if there's any of that, but I don't want to be floundering because I should understand something that I don't.

I would recommend holding off on Best Served Cold until you have read the trilogy. There is a lot of carry over and the spoilers could very well ruin the original books for you.

Remove ads