• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Books which grant Skill Ranks

It's easier to balance an item that gives a bonus to a skill, rather than actual ranks.

I agree. An item that gives bonus ranks is actually useless to someone already trying to be as good at a skill as they can be. The point about prestige classes is a good one too. An item shouldn't give skill ranks, it should just give a skill bonus.

SchlieffenPlan

First Post
I agree. An item that gives bonus ranks is actually useless to someone already trying to be as good at a skill as they can be. The point about prestige classes is a good one too. An item shouldn't give skill ranks, it should just give a skill bonus.

I agree completely.

Nezkrul

First Post
there is a feat that gives 5 skill points (Open Minded); a feat that is either not part of a chain and has little or no prereqs or is the first feat of a chain is usually costed as either a +1 or +2 enhancement mod on weapons/armor or around 5,000 gold (you can also potentially use wishes to permanently acquire feats that you meet the prereqs of)

so, since 2 ranks is essentially what a level 1 character can have in a cross class skill (4 skill points), it should be valued as much as a feat on an item, but permanent would make it cost at least double (like a no-slot item); I would say 5,000 gold and 1 week of training per 1 skill rank (and no going over class/cross-class max)

Remove ads