D&D 5E Boop

What is the best Chassis for a 5e Warlord class?

• Artificer

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Bard

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleric

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Fighter

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Monk

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Paladin

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Ranger

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Sorcerer

• Druid

• Wizard

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Warlock

Votes: 9 14.5%

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Once you have the abilities roughed out it's easy enough to monkey around with the points. You could also put a X/rest limit on certain abilities on top of the point cost. Lots of options.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Or the Warlock and Rogue who don't really care about long rest...
I am not inspired enough by the rogue to figure out how to balance a sneak attack replacement.

the warlock could work, but that is a huge workload for a class, and the monk is already on exactly the short rest class chassis I’d want for the concept, anyway.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Your aura of martial supremacy causes the enemy overreach and stumble ie make guidance into a presence which for warlord types can affect enemies negatively as well
The issue isn't conceptual or modeling, it's that at-will abilities of any sort are, well "expensive" in class-design terms, and tend to be very limited or to just suck up the whole focus/design-space of a class.
Guidance, for instance, takes an action, requires Concentration, generally regarded as an even more profound limitation than it actually is; yet it's regarded as problematic and has provoked a number of debates, close readings, and restrictive interpretations.

Guidance in an area? That's Bless.
Affecting both allies an enemies?
As an at-will?

It's a slight difference, but the greater versatility of prepped fits the dynamism & adaptability of shifting tactics better than the Bard's eclectic known organization, the cleric's armor fits better but the bards weapons also fit better, and there's subtle differences in the resource balance, even though both weight rest-recharge heavily.

They made two martial classes and whelp we are done... those ought to be uber versatile no?
That sounds reasonable, but arcane classes are each very versatile, and there's now four or five of them? (Wizard, Warlock, Sorcerer, Bard, Artificer - yeah, 5, OK.) Class imbalances in D&D have always gone deeper than the merely mechanical.

Tony Vargas

Legend
You'd still need to develop a "warlord spell list", which kind of feels like it's against the concept of the warlord in the first place.
Presumably, you'd be developing a list of 'maneuvers' or the like, the BM serves as a very limited example of that, are powered by whatever long-rest resource claims the design space taken up by those spells in the 'template.' (Maybe not CS dice, which are conceptually and mechanically focused on personal superiority in weapon-swinging combat, which is, afterall the fighter's thang. Also, there might be some more appropriate limited-use criteria than resting.)

I was more saying that if you start out with a bard, and rip out all the spellcasting, I have no particular way to gauge the value of any replacement features. It would just be by feel at that point.
From what MM has shared, it sounds like 5e design has mostly been by feel (so, I suspect, much like it always has been), but, with a touchstone: spell slots, denominated in hit points. Magic in general and spellcasting in particular are the overriding focus of the game, as is reflected in the use of spells in every, single, class design, so you can't design a class, even if you are trying to design a revolutionary/unique-in-5e class that doesn't actually use spells at all, without at least referring to spells as a guideline.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'd actually be interested in trying myself.

I also need to put an hour aside and read the new Warlord thread... I got busy and it kinda ran away from me...
I’d love to contribute if you start a thread about it, I just don’t have any idea what the basic changeover would be.

and yeah the marshal thread moved really fast for a bit there!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases