D&D 5E Boots and Cloak of Elevnkind - What is the Total impact to stealth when combined

Athinar

Explorer
Boots and Cloak of Elevnkind - What is the Total impact to stealth when combined?

I might be reading this wrong, I thought the Boots and Cloak of Elevnkind granted a +5 to Stealth but it could be just the Cloak gave a “-5” to Passive Perception or +5 added before the roll to assist the DM with the Math but only for Passive Perception, Active Perception would still be Disadvantaged but not at a +5/-5

Or with both the boots and cloak added together give the +5 to stealth for Active and Passive?

"Creatures with Advantage on Perception negate all cloak and boots benefits"

PHB 177
Passive Perception. When you hide, there’s a chance someone will notice you even if they aren't searching. To determine whether such a creature notices you, the DM compares your Dexterity (Stealth) check with that creature’s passive Wisdom (Perception) score, which equals 10 + the creature’s Wisdom modifier, as well as any other bonuses or penalties. If the creature has advantage, add 5. For disadvantage, subtract 5.

Bardbarian

First Post
To my knowledge the boots are redundant when the cloak is worn. The only benefit of the boots would be that they function when the hood of the cloak is down. Since there is almost never any reason to remove the hood from the cloak however, this simply means you are spending attunement for fancy looking boots no one will see.

They do mention that one works visually and one works audibly so that may vary for some DMs but generally stealth doesn't really differentiate between the two. An example may be when trying to sneak behind the back of a blind creature that relies on sound to find it's prey, then the cloak may be ruled to have no effect.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
1) Advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks that rely on moving silently.
2) Wisdom (Perception) checks made to see you have disadvantage.
3) Advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide.

Those are the combined effects.

No +5 for you, and the only time a -5 comes into the mix is if the Wisdom (Perception) check made to see you is a passive check.

So, basically, combining both lets you always have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks because such a check is either trying to remain unheard (point 1) or trying to hide (point 3) - but you are also difficult to see in general with your hood up, so even if you aren't trying to hide creatures have disadvantage on any check they might need to make in order to see you.

Illithidbix

Explorer
Cloak of Elvenkind said:
Wondrous item, uncommon (requires attunement)
While you wear this cloak with its hood up, Wisdom (Perception) checks made to see you have disadvantage, and you have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide, as the cloak’s color shifts to camouflage you. Pulling the hood up or down requires an action.

Boots of Elvenkind[/quote said:
Wondrous item, uncommon
While you wear these boots, your steps make no sound, regardless of the surface you are moving across. You also have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks that rely on moving silently.

I go with what AaronOfBarbaria and Bardbarian said.
Most of the time the Boots don't add any additional benefit, except when the Stealth check is focused around the character being quiet rather than unseen. - Which is upto the DM.

MostlyDm

Explorer
Interesting that some people suggest a DM might not differentiate between hiding and moving silently.

I tend towards favoring some made up ideal of "realism" so I definitely do... But in general I'd imagine a good rule of thumb to be: Moving stealth, boots are relevant. Stationary stealth, cloak is relevant.

Coredump

Explorer
Interesting that some people suggest a DM might not differentiate between hiding and moving silently.

I tend towards favoring some made up ideal of "realism" so I definitely do... But in general I'd imagine a good rule of thumb to be: Moving stealth, boots are relevant. Stationary stealth, cloak is relevant.

I think that is too harsh on the cloak. Even when trying to 'move silently' and sneak up on someone, it is being seen that is usually the biggest threat.

Humans (and most humanoids) rely on sight much more than hearing when perceiving their environment, so the cloak will useful in the majority of situations.

The boots, to me, are more niche. They apply when there is a large risk of being detected by being heard. Perhaps the floors are really squeaky, or there is a large amount of glass or dry leaves around. Stuff like that....

Athinar

Explorer
So I think I will use a In House Rule, both Boots and Cloak add +5 to Stealth and advantage/disadvantage (double Advantage)

due to the PHB pg 177
If the creature has advantage, add 5. For disadvantage, subtract 5.

Remove ads