• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Boots and Cloak of Elevnkind - What is the Total impact to stealth when combined

seebs

Adventurer
Double advantage is (intentionally) not a thing. So I would say that one adds advantage (or +5 for passive) for checks involving moving quietly, one adds advantage (or +5 for passive) for checks involving not being seen, and if you have both, you get advantage (or +5 for passive) for checks involving either or both. They don't stack further, but they cover a broader range of circumstances.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Interesting that some people suggest a DM might not differentiate between hiding and moving silently.
I find it interesting too.

I thought there were plenty of clear situations in which being seen is entirely impossible, but successful stealth isn't guaranteed because you might be heard. Such as when trying to sneak down a hall past an occupied room with a closed door, or when trying to sneak through an area of darkness that the creature you are attempting to prevent noticing you can't see into, or when you are invisible and are trying to hide.

Sure, there are at least as many situations in which being seen is the primary deciding factor in whether or not your presence is detected, but that's why the cloak exists and has the effect that it does rather than an actually universal effect on all stealth checks.

Remove ads