D&D 5E Boots for people with Hooves? :)

Hi :) How do magic boots work in relation to characters with Hooves such as Tieflings and how would you describe a character who has Hooves wearing said Magic boots either as a player or as a DM :)

Prism

Explorer
As a player I wouldn't let my character wear them - some other party member can have them. As a DM I'd leave it up to the player to come up with their own reasoning. The rest of the group would make it a running joke.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I saw a WoW comic that had a draenei get some boots and they snipped the top part of the boots off to wear as a kind of ankle band and gave the remainder to the gnome for little gnome booties.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I would say that altering the boots to fit a creature of the wrong size or anatomy would destroy the magic unless done by a master craftsman...possibly with some help from a magic device.

And I would totally let hooved PCs use magical horseshoes.

MarkB

Legend
If magic items re-size themselves to fit different wearers, I have no problem with them adapting to differently shaped feet, within reason - and I'd consider hooves to be within reason.

If they don't re-size themselves, it's not just the Tiefling who's out of luck - the party will have to do the Cinderella test to find out whether any of them can comfortably wear them.

Quickleaf

Legend
Hi :) How do magic boots work in relation to characters with Hooves such as Tieflings and how would you describe a character who has Hooves wearing said Magic boots either as a player or as a DM :)

Goodbye boots of striding and springing, hello horseshoes of the zephyr! :)

I'd wave the "four horseshoes" condition of horseshoes of the zephyr and horseshoes of speed, for starters. Also, if you're running a game where hoofed characters are going around and magical items are traded (something like Planescape), then it stands to reason there are horseshoe variants of boots of striding and springing and other magical footwear out there. Where there's a demand...

Remove ads