Boots, high, hard?

pemerton

Legend
Is that difference spelled out somewhere in the PHB or DMG?
Also, I guess there weren't any written rules hidden in the DMG for this stuff, right?
I'm pretty sure that the DMG says something about the difference between hard and soft - it's probably in the section called "The Adventure", and would relate to how hard it is to be heard when trying to walk quietly (I can't remember the precise mechanic - maybe the thief gets a bonus to hear noise against those wearing hard rather than soft boots?).

I don't think the DMG says anything about high vs low.

delericho

Legend
In theory, I can understand the difference between hard and soft. Hard (presumably) offers more protection, soft (again, presumably) offers more stealth.

But high and low?

Flexibility of the ankle versus protection of the shin? I've typically used low boots for hillwalking, and I think the boots I wore for riding were considerably higher (but I'm not 100% on that one - it's been a while).

And, of course, if you're going to be wading through mud or water, you're going to want high boots.

Also, I guess there weren't any written rules hidden in the DMG for this stuff, right?

I'm not aware of any. Perhaps the "Wilderness Survival Guide"? Alternately, it may be one of those things that the DM is supposed to handle... if he cares enough.

jcbdragon

First Post
Hard vs soft is a matter of stealth (and presumably comfort) vs protection.

As for high vs low, the only time I've seen that make anything other than a stylistic difference was when dealing with snakes -- low boots meant the snakes had a normal "to hit," high soft boots meant one level of protection (+2 to AC, I think?) and high hard boots meant a greater level of protection (+4 to AC, maybe?)

Don't hold me to those specific numbers, but that was the basic idea.

Remove ads