Boots of Free Movement and Petrification

MarauderX

Explorer
So the party ran up against a guy that has the petrification gaze attack.
the target is slowed (save ends). First Failed Save: The target is immobilized instead of slowed (save ends). Second Failed Save: The target is petrified (no save).
One of the party members has the Boots of Free Movement, which gives a +2 to certain saves:
Gain a +2 item bonus to saving throws against effects that apply the slowed, immobilized, or restrained condition.
The character missed the first save, and now the second save hinges on whether or not this bonus applies to the second save. The way I read it, the character would receive the bonus since it is 'save ends'.
Has this been discussed before? Thoughts?
Thanks in advance -
~MX

nogray

Adventurer
Since the boots give a save bonus to "effects that apply the ... immobilized ... condition," and the failed-save-effect is "the target is immobilized ... (save ends)," then yes, the boots' bonus applies. I can't see any other interpretation.

Out of curiosity, what made you doubt?

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Since the boots give a save bonus to "effects that apply the ... immobilized ... condition," and the failed-save-effect is "the target is immobilized ... (save ends)," then yes, the boots' bonus applies. I can't see any other interpretation.

Out of curiosity, what made you doubt?

I concur.

I'll go a step further, too; if there was an additional step (like "petrified (save ends)") I would probably still allow the bonus, since it's part of an escalating effect that includes the immobilized, slowed or restrained conditions.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
why would you ever put on boots of petrification?
unless you are now a statue with free movement ....
that probably give some AC or resist all bonus...

*nevermind*

Remove ads