Boots of Tremorsense price

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Sorry about posting this, I am rushing at work to get a revised character sheet done for our game tonight. My DM gave my charachater Boots of Tremorsense last week and I don't see them in the SRD I have access to at work. What is the retail price on these? and what book are they from so I can look them up later?

Branok

First Post
FR: Underdark is the book you want

Boots of Tremorsense: The wearer can automatically sense the location of any creature or object within 30 feet that is in contact with the ground.
Faint Transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item; tremorsense ; Price: 45,000 gp; Weight: 1 lb.

Hope that helps. Branok.

Branok

First Post
I know, it's a ripoff

According to Table 7-33 in the DMG it goes like this:

Use-activated or continuous Spell Effect:

Base Price: Spell Level*caster level*2,000 gp

Now, it's a Harper Scout 3, Ranger 3, Sorcerer/Wizard 3 spell, so as to make it as cheap as possible, we'll do it as a wizard. Hence, it would be like this:

3*5*2,000=30,000 gp. Now, according to Table 7-33, you have to multiply this base price by a factor determined by the duration of the spell. Since tremorsense lasts 10 min/level, the table says that you have to multiply the base price by 1.5, so it would be 30,000*1.5= 45,000 gp. To create the item, it would cost 22,500 gp, and 1800 XP, Ouch!!! :eek: .
I find it rather expensive, since it's not that powerful an item, but then again, there are others that are even more useless and are more expensive. Well, that's all.
Branok

Not that powerful an item?! Say good bye to being surprised by corporeal opponents walking on the ground in a dungeon! OK its useless in an open area where you can see you opponent but it would be useful against an invisible rogue sneaking up on you. I'll have 2 pairs thanks!

BTW I don't get how the item allows you to sense objects? What, do they vibrate on a subatomic level and the boots pick up the vibe?
Heinrich

Westwind

First Post
See invisibility won't warn you of the rogue sneaking up behind you or the burrowing creature clawing up from under you. (I ravaged a high-level party with Xorns in a cavern, so that example sprang to mind). Each pair of boots would have their own situations in which they'd be the best choice. Tremorsense has been a pretty kick-arse ability for me when I'm DMing--I'd love to have a character with it.

EvilGM

Explorer
Those are handy boots indeed!

Not sure what other boots you have but you should at least wear them for awhile to get a sense of how useful they are.

hong

WotC's bitch
For 45000 gp, give or take a little bit, you can get:
- boots of teleportation: teleport 3/day
- 3 pairs of winged boots: fly 9/day
- +5 armour
- +20 Listen item
- heal 2/day item

All of these seem far more useful to me than tremorsense, which:
- won't detect flying or teleporting opponents
- won't detect incorporeal opponents
- doesn't remove the miss chance against invisible opponents
... which all become more likely to be encountered by the time you can splurge 45000 gp on a single item.

Last edited:

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Yea, there should be a "usefulness" discount as for it's price the boots don't stack up to equally priced items. How much does a pair of blindsight boots cost? Aren't boots of blindsight better?

Remove ads