• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bored with the same-ness of weapons? You won't believe these seven options to spice up combat!

Capn Charlie

Explorer
As an offshoot of my low magic gritty fantasy game I hit upon a great set of options to differentiate weapons and add some spice. Given how situational some of these weapons are, it is not uncommon for consummate warriors to carry a variety of weapons for various situations.

Weapon Styles
The warriors of the Darkest Age have come to master many weapons and styles of fighting, leading to a wide variety of these weapons seeing use on the battlefield, and being applied to different purposes. Each weapon group has a different specialty, as is outlined below.

Swords (Greatsword, Longsword, Shortsword): Reliable. Whenever you make an attack with this weapon, roll its damage dice twice, and select the ones you wish to use.

Axes (Battle Axe, Greataxe, Handaxe): Brutal. Whenever you roll the maximum value on this weapon’s damage die, roll an additional die of the same type and add it to the total damage dealt by the attack.

Spears (Long Spear*, Short Spear, Trident): Extensive: As a bonus action, you may increase the reach of this weapon by an additional 5 feet until the beginning of your next turn.

Hammers (Light Hammer, Mace, Morningstar, Maul, Warhammer, War Pick): This weapon deals +2 damage to targets wearing Heavy Armor.

Light Blades (Rapier, Scimitar): Keen. This weapon deals +2 damage to targets wearing light or no armor.

Polearms (Glaive, Halberd, Pike): Brace. As an action you may brace this weapon to receive a charge. As a reaction you may make an attack a target that enters your reach. This attack deals an additional weapon die of damage if the target moved at least 10 feet before the attack was made.

Flails (since there is only one) have a special condition that offers +1 on attacks made against characters using shields.

*1d8 piercing, martial, one handed, versatile (1d10)

Last edited:

Eubani

Legend
Some of these grant bonuses based on armour of the opponent but there is no mention of natural armour. You may wish to mention the effects of varying amounts of natural armour on these.

Capn Charlie

Explorer
Some of these grant bonuses based on armour of the opponent but there is no mention of natural armour. You may wish to mention the effects of varying amounts of natural armour on these.

Honestly, it was written with a humancentric game in mind, and monsters weren't a major concern. I am inclined to just let it play as it lies, armor is armor, and monsters aren't armored. Alternatively, I could see ruling armor type on a case by case basis, but I am am disinclined to make a comprehensive list of monster rulings, and natural armor bonuses might be misleading for what should be more affected by hammers and what not.

Eubani

Legend
Honestly, it was written with a humancentric game in mind, and monsters weren't a major concern. I am inclined to just let it play as it lies, armor is armor, and monsters aren't armored. Alternatively, I could see ruling armor type on a case by case basis, but I am am disinclined to make a comprehensive list of monster rulings, and natural armor bonuses might be misleading for what should be more affected by hammers and what not.

That would mean that some weapons maintain their bonus against such creatures whilst other do not, I think that is an issue.

Capn Charlie

Explorer
That would mean that some weapons maintain their bonus against such creatures whilst other do not, I think that is an issue.

How about light armor is defined as 13 or lower natural armor, and heavy armor is 15 or higher, leaving a little neutral sweet spot in the middle there just like for medium armor.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads