D&D 5E Borrowing from TTRPGS

Weiley31

Legend
I know we all love to make up our settings what not but here me out: have you ever had a moment where a detail, that you liked from another TTRPG, made its way into one of your games or one-shots? Whether its an item, lore detail, explanation for how certain species/races came to be, etc, etc? And if it so, did it lead to like a new take of said aspect in your games?

Some Examples, that I jacked from Pathfinder for my 5E games, would be:
-The picture of a particular Female Goblin from Pathfinder. Now it's just an image, but I loved how Gremlins it looked and the fact that said goblin was wearing lipstick. (which added on to the whole Gremlins look as well.) So now in my sessions, Goblins are super big on lipstick. Like no matter the gender, Goblins will just have a thing for wearing it. Need to barter with a Goblin Merchant and want advantage? Offer some very expensive looking lipstick. Dealing with a Goblin that leads its own gang? Said leader is gonna be the one wearing lipstick. (Heck the 2nd in command probably got gifted some lipstick from the boss, from the personal collection no doubt, for doing a good job on that last heist). Get into an argument about what is considered high culture with a Goblin dilatant(wait those exist?) Yup: get ready to hear about that goblin's favorite shade of color. Regardless, this fascination as to why is only known to them.

-Changelings: Pathfinder labels them as the female daughters of Hags while the male sons are the Hagspawn. Hags create more Hags by giving birth to Changelings, who are then left/dropped off to a normal family that they watch closely. the Hagspawn are usually abandoned. Now the Hag mother hopes that the Changeling, when she starts growing up, will be hated by people and potentially their adoptive parents. Then the Hag mother plays the Long Game to the point where they wait until the Changeling is about to hit Puberty. It is at this point, that hopefully for the Hag, the Changeling daughter has been hated by everybody enough that when the Hag mom comes back, she offers her Changeling daughter to come with her and undergo a rite to turn into a new Hag. If everything goes to plan, then the Changeling becomes a new Hag. If the Changeling declines/refuses/avoids being killed by Mom, then its back to the drawing board. But hey, at least there is another Changeling in the world and not another Hag. So far, I like that as the explanation of how Changelings exist in the Forgotten Realms. Dopplegangers are their own seperate thing.

-Kobolds: I'm not gonna lie, I like how Kobolds look in Pathfinder 2nd Edition. The salamander look feels refreshing after seeing how Kobolds have usually looked before. Plus their horns look pretty cool and would seem like a nice touch on a Dragonwought/Winged Kobold. So I'm letting Kobolds have both kinds of looks just because of that.

Last edited:

Even from a young age my lizardmen were more influenced by Fighting Fantasy than they were by D&D.

My treatment of religion and demons etc resembles Eberron more than it does Core D&D, but that is a coincidence, more than anything. (I think Baker and I must have had the same issues with D&D's treatment of religion and the afterlife)

Even from a young age my lizardmen were more influenced by Fighting Fantasy than they were by D&D.

Same. Indeed a lot of my very early D&D monsters were directly influenced by Out Of The Pit, the monster-manual equivalent for the Advanced Fighting Fantasy RPG.

I also borrowed even more heavily from the Lone Wolf books. I stole entire aesthetics from that. I made Kai/Magna-Kai into a class (using the DMG rules). But that was a huge inspiration.

I know I stole a fair bit from Earthdawn too, once that came out. I nearly ran a 5E campaign which was basically the initial emergence from a Cairn (I'd have used 5E races etc., rather than trying to do ED ones, but conceptually it was very much inspired by ED).

And this is totally the tip of the iceberg - I was always stealing stuff from other TT RPGs and putting it in D&D, and have never entirely stopped.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I have stolen so much over the last 38 years that sometimes I forget what came from somewhere else and what I made up myself. I figured as long as I am not trying to sell it, it doesn't matter. :geek: ;)

One 2E campaign I ran in the 90s had bad guys using the Trump cards from Zelzany's Amber books. And I brought it back 10 years later in another game as an easter egg for some long time players.

Voadam

Legend
GURPS Cypberpunk drugs and the Fantasy II setting; Palladium Heroes Unlimited Aliens; Ars Magica spells and the order of Hermes; Shadowrun concept of mana; Mage the Ascension concepts of paradigm, spheres, and various traditions; Werewolf the Apocalypse cosmology, Get of Fenris, Fianna, and Silent Striders;, Vampire the Masquerade ghouls and society; Earthdawn true name and blood magic; WFRP Chaos gods; and Stormbringer gods have all factored into my D&D games.

Stormonu

Legend
I'm sure my games have been influenced by the myriad of other games I've read/played. Trying to remember specifics is difficult.

I think I'd have to say that my orcs have been strongly influenced by the Orks of 40K - they're soccer hooligans and "greenskins" to the core.

Voadam

Legend
I have stolen so much over the last 38 years that sometimes I forget what came from somewhere else and what I made up myself. I figured as long as I am not trying to sell it, it doesn't matter. :geek: ;)

There was a d20 mummy template I did that was heavily inspired by Mum-Ra from Thundercats. It was in a for sale publication, but I was careful to stick on the right side of IP lines. For a home game I would have pulled up an image search to make map counters and rumbled out "Ancient Spirits of Evil, transform this decayed form to Mumm-Ra, the Ever-Living!" or a variant with the specific NPC's name. I was quite happy to have gotten mummies without mummy rot in the design as a published option. :)

Weiley31

Legend
Okay slight off topic on borrowing from TTRPGs, but one thing that I have Dragons in my game comes from Drakengard 2: Dragons pretty much remember their race's entire history/lineage via their Blood Memory. Like how Sorcerers draw power from their blood, Dragons can draw upon the knowledge of their race's history because of the fact that such memories is stored in their blood. Dragons can't like see the history of individual dragons, but each individual dragon has embedded in their own form of Blood Memory their moments and personal triumphs that they can forever call upon and even share briefly in their Blood Memory to the overall Memory of Blood all Dragons share.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases