Planescape Bouncing some Planescape campaign ideas

Yora

Legend
Since I wrapped up my last 5th edition campaign 2 years ago, I've been on and off thinking about an idea for a Planescape campaign. And when the other options are AD&D and 3rd edition, 5th edition looks like a really good choice. At some point, I even made a whole bunch of conversions of more obscure monsters from the 2nd edition monster supplements, and adjusted the non-Monster Manual planar monsters to have their relatively power levels match the original hierarchy already.
Now that I see the murmuring about new Planescape books for 5th edition, this seems to be as good a time to look for players as there ever will be. And I won't even have to wait for those to come out.

I do have a general outline for antagonists, allies, and conflicts, and just would like to hear what people think about these and how I could build on the existing setting material to develop it into a full campaign.

The thing I always found the most disappointing with the planes is that it seems to be 90% Abyss and Baator, with the remaining stuff being Sigil, Limbo, and the Plane of Fire. But there are so many more places with cool concept that I imagine almost no D&D players ever got to see. So with my campaign, I want to focus of the chaotic inbetween planes: Beastlands, Ysgard, Pandemonium, Carceri, and Gehenna. With yugoloths as the main fiendish power, and the Bleak Cabal, Doomguard, Dustmen, Fated, and Revolutionary League as the primary factions getting involved.

At the center of the campaign is the Heart of Darkness, a gigantic Sphere of Annihilation 200 feet across that is burried beneath the ice of the lowest layer of Carceri. An arcanaloth (the big bad) has learned of its existence and sees it as the key to destroy his rivals and rise closer to the top of the yugoloth hierarchy. Being a high ranking yugoloth, he has no concern for the widespread death and destruction unleashing this artifact might leave behind. But in his search about the Heart's exact location and a way to control it, the secret leaks out and others realize what he's after and what is at stake.
One of these is a rogue asura, who has decided that this artifact would be an incredibly powerful weapon to fight evil and that she must possess it. To that end, she is gathering a crusade of Fated in Ysgard, who believe that might makes right, and the asura is promising them a lot of might to shape the planes to their will. The church of Selûne based in Ysgard is deeply concerned about that, since a huge sphere of annihilation sounds like right in the domain of Shar. They want to see the asura stopped, but are hesitant to go to war with another being of Good.
The Revolutionary League learns of this crusade and they see two parties fighting over an artifact that will give incredible power to whoever possesses. Power always creates tyrants in the eyes of the Anarchists and no person should ever possess a power like this. So they have to stop it from falling into anyone's hands, (Though there are of course some Anarchists who think that maybe they should keep it themselves to destroy the authorities.)
And to the Doomguard, such a vast manifestation of Entropy must belong only to them!
(No idea yet how the Bleak Cabal and Dustmen play into this, but they fit thr general mood.)

My modified stats for arcanaloth had them at CR 15, so the PCs could potentially face off against one as the final showdown as early as 10th level. I also don't have a lot of experience with running 5th edition, so I want to start at 1st level and let the campaign get gradually more complex as powers and encounter are concerned. So 1st to 10th level is roughly what I am aiming for. Nothing too overly crazy ambitious.
I want to start in the Outlands with native planar characters, with tieflings and githzerai as options in addition to the original D&D races. (Though I'll probably recommend against picking druids because of where the adventures will be going, and against paladins because the NPCs they will deal with will be overwhelmingly chaotic.) Outland is the most normal of all the planes with nothing too crazy going on, so a good place to get everyone settled in and slowly introduce the Planescape weirdness. Early adventures into the Beastlands might also be a good idea because things are pretty straightforward there with generally friendly NPCs, and I just always wanted to have adventures there.
After that, I think about taking the campaign to Pandemonium. It's a lower plane that looks pretty freakish but is not actually that horrible to adventurers in practice. It's desolate, the inhabitants aren't that powerful, and the environmental challenges won't kill you immediately, so it's not too outragous to have even 4th level characters explore there and learn from the madmen what the whole thing that they've been pulled into is actually about. Also a great opportunity to make contact with the Bleak Cabal, who always make useful allies for the future.
Next chapter would be Ysgard where the players get drawn into the conflict between the Asura, the Fated, and the Church of Selûne. More allies but also enemies to be made here.
After that it's oft to Carceri where the full picture reveals itself and the players learn what the arcanaloth and asura are actually after, and the Anarchists become an active player in the conflict.
Finally the campaign goes to Gehenna where the party takes the fight to the Arcanaloth, perhaps exposing his plan to his rivals so the players have a distraction and opportunity to end the threat of the Heart before the arcanaloth or asura can take control of it. (Maybe the Doomguard could be of help with that?) Ultimately it of course has to end on Agathys where the party confronts the arcanaloth as he prepares to raise the Heart from the ice.

Cool stuff. Plenty of endless dark voids and frozen wastes. Very metal. But this is still mostly a style concept and not much in the way of adventures. I think things are becoming more specific towards the end, with clearer goals and a direction to follow. Learn what the arcanaloth plans to do, find a weakness to make him vulnerable and neutralize the sphere, and then destroy him and end the threat. While managing the Asura and her Fated crusaders, and the Anarchists determined to keep the sphere out of anyone's hands themselves.
It's the earlier parts of the campaign that are still vague. What are these 1st snd 2nd level PCs doing in the Outlands and Beastlands that ends up getting them pulled into the business with the Heart? What makes these insignificant no-names pick up the quest to deal with such a great threat? The Church of Selûne and the Anarchists can't tollerate the Heart being controlled by anyone on ideological grounds and they have much greater resources at their disposal than the PCs. Of course, the Anarchists can't be trusted to get it done right, and the Selûnites might want to avoid launching an outright crusade into Carceri or Gehenna when there are more subtle ways about it. But what's the stakes for the PCs? Why is it urgent for them to see the quest done themselves instead of leaving it to other much more powerful people?

I think that it might perhaps be a better approach to split the campaign into two separate arcs. Whatever the PCs are doing in the Outlands and the Beastlands as low-level characters has nothing to do with the Heart of Darkness. Instead they could be eatablishing connections who will then be pulling them into the great treasure hunt someway?

Do you have any ideas how I could expand on this, and how it could perhaps build upon other existing aspects of the Planescape materials?

New "layers" are discovered within Sigil. One of them is maze and dungeons, for people who caused the rage by the Lady of the Pain. Other layer is like a megalopolis within a toroid, but this is so big like a region, and even there are zones for farming. There are also "arcologies" (super skycrappers), and temples of the god Aoskar, but his symbol is an eye and a claw.

The infinite stair is reimagined mixing some elements from the mythology about the "backrooms".

There is "elemental heresy" about metal as a different element.

A new supposed "wood" elemental plane is discovered.

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
Might I recommend my Codex of the Infinite Planes book? Like you, I found the Planescape content to be focused on a handful of planes. While Sigil isn't available on the DMsGuild, the general planar content is, so I took that and built out codex entries for each of the 16 Outer Planes, the 4 Inner Planes (plus 1 for the Border Elemental Planes), the 2 Transitory Planes (Astral and Ethereal), and 3 Echo Planes (Shadow, Faerie, and Dreams). Codex of the Infinite Planes - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild You can also find each individual codex entry for a more focused and less expensive approach. And the Monsters of the Infinite Planes has more monsters, and Heroes of the Infinite Planes has more player options.

Again, I couldn't actually touch the content considered core Planescape - no Sigil, no Lady of Pain, and no factions, but it wouldn't be hard to place the factions around the planes. And it opened up room for localized factions for each plane too. Anyway, just wanted to toss some suggestive resources your way, I hope it helps and inspires!

Stormonu

Legend
What are these 1st snd 2nd level PCs doing in the Outlands and Beastlands that ends up getting them pulled into the business with the Heart? What makes these insignificant no-names pick up the quest to deal with such a great threat? The Church of Selûne and the Anarchists can't tollerate the Heart being controlled by anyone on ideological grounds and they have much greater resources at their disposal than the PCs. Of course, the Anarchists can't be trusted to get it done right, and the Selûnites might want to avoid launching an outright crusade into Carceri or Gehenna when there are more subtle ways about it. But what's the stakes for the PCs? Why is it urgent for them to see the quest done themselves instead of leaving it to other much more powerful people?

I think that it might perhaps be a better approach to split the campaign into two separate arcs. Whatever the PCs are doing in the Outlands and the Beastlands as low-level characters has nothing to do with the Heart of Darkness. Instead they could be eatablishing connections who will then be pulling them into the great treasure hunt someway?

Do you have any ideas how I could expand on this, and how it could perhaps build upon other existing aspects of the Planescape materials?
With the Church of Selune, an obvious start would be in the Forgotten Realms. The first couple of levels might not be related to any of the later action; the PCs can do their own thing but possibly they eventually get word that the Church of Selune is looking for some skilled adventurers to assist them with a quest. It will probably be this quest that sends them through a portal to the Outlands, and from there to the stronghold of the Selunites and a deeper involvement with the various factions looking for the Heart. Information on finding the item, getting past its traps, finding the command word and defeating its guardian could be spread anywhere - perhaps some of the nastier puzzle traps were built by an artificer in Bytopia who needs to be consulted; the knowledge of the location of its resting place lies with a being that's been Mazed in Sigil; a key to enter the edifice may be held by a spirit in Hades - and so on, creating an interplanar scavenger hunt to get at the item all while a force of devas intent on stopping the various parties involved nip at the party's heels, conviced the PCs are agents of one who seeks to unleash the sphere.

While allying with the Selunites would probably be the heroic thing to do, you could work with the philosophical aspects of the various factions involved and give each reasonable and interesting reasons why the party might want to side for or against the other factions, beyond mere good and evil. The forces of the Abyss and Baator want it as WMD in the Blood War. Other Yugoloths might want to capture it to sell to the forces of the Blood War. The forces of Acheron want to put in a bid too. Celestia wants it to stay buried in Carceri and they'll kill anyone who threatens to release it. The guardian in Carceri wants to be rid of it so it can go elsewhere. The Anarchists just want it free and the Dustmen think it's their answer to put everyone in the Deadbook. Hades needs it back to stabilize his realm and his was his plan all along. And so on.

Incenjucar

Legend
Back in a 4E game I played in, my deva invoker found a sphere of annihilation in the shape of a six-eyed bleeding skull, that was otherwise a normal sphere of annihilation. Being an invoker of Love, he named "her" Hope, somehow put a red bow on her, shared rations, and treated her like a valued party member, friend, and battle sidekick, and eventually the DM got in on it and started hinting at a spark of sentience. Many puns were had, and many enemies of love absorbed into nothingness.

All that to say, consider: What does the Sphere of Annihilation want?

squibbles

Adventurer
Reading your summary gave me a "globetrotting adventurers, chasing a leads about a grab bag of factions, not really knowing what's going on and trying to figure it out" sort of vibe.

You might start your group off doing normal adventuring things but have agents of the various factions want something in the part of the outlands where they get started, i.e. at the bottom of the local treasure-filled dungeon is a breadcrumb that says where the knowledge of the location of the macguffin can be found (but doesn't explain what the sphere of annihilation is)--it points them to the beastlands. Well, once the party knows this, the arcanaloth, a being that is covetous of information, wants them killed. And the only lead the party has about why they are suddenly being attacked by assassins is to go to the beastlands and investigate.

In the beastlands they encounter more agents of the arcanaloth's faction, but also the asura's faction, the revolutionary league (with its two factions), and the doomguard--and they don't know for certain what these factions are trying to accomplish or which of them is sending the assassins.

And then it's off to the races, chasing macguffin leads/pieces/keys/etc. across the planes.

So, what makes these insignificant no-names pick up the quest to deal with such a great threat while lots of other forces have more resources? Well, same logic. Arcanaloths are covetous of information, and this one wants to eliminate everyone who knows anything about the sphere. This includes the residents of the PC's home base in outlands, possibly their family members, all the NPCs they met along the way, and, of course, the PCs themselves. If it succeeds, the arcanaloth will have a very powerful tool to make that happen. And while the other factions face similar threat from the arcanaloth, they have greater means to prevent him from getting to them and don't particularly care about the NPCs in outland, the beastlands, and so on.

Last edited:

1.Rats in the Basement makes a good start. Pick a spot and pick a faction, and toss in some planual vermin that the PCs get hired to get rid of. This can be a nice introduction too. Like they are Ysgard Dawn Rats, that protect positive energy...so the Dustmen don't want to clear them out of the basement.
2.Gate Town bandits...simple and straight forward.
3.A scavanger hunt for a nice item wanted by many, maybe a portal map, or a portal key
4.A hunting trip to get a Beastland creature
5.Two rival gangs are actually devils and demons fighting a minor Blood War battle

Maybe lead up to:
6.The PCs are hired to get/steal/retrieve a "Book of Black Spheres" (about you know what)
7.The PCs are hired to get/steal/retrieve a Talisman of the Sphere (humm)
8.The PCs encounter a gnome/mordon/yugloth with a tiny marble sized Sphere of Annihilation and he knows where there is a whole lake of them.....
9. A "pet" blackball(a living sphere of annihilation) escapes from The Caverns of Thought, realm of the illithid deity Ilsensine....and he wants it back.
10.The Revolutionary League has the PCs are hired as guards for some miners to go to Pandemonium and mine some Void Stone...humm wounder what they would use that for?

Yora

Legend
You might start your group off doing normal adventuring things but have agents of the various factions want something in the part of the outlands where they get started, i.e. at the bottom of the local treasure-filled dungeon is a breadcrumb that says where the knowledge of the location of the macguffin can be found (but doesn't explain what the sphere of annihilation is)--it points them to the beastlands. Well, once the party knows this, the arcanaloth, a being that is covetous of information, wants them killed. And the only lead the party has about why they are suddenly being attacked by assassins is to go to the beastlands and investigate.
I really like the idea that the PCs don't start by getting involved in a struggle about a magic superweapon. They start by getting involved in something that someone needs to do for a lieutenant of the bosses, so they can pursue their struggle for the magic superweapon. Not even something particularly critical or high stakes, and something that is well in the scope that low-level adventurers can deal with.
If then, at a later point, the guy who hired them gets assassinated before they can collect their reward, players certainly will decide that they want to look into that. While it might make sense for the characters, with the players knowing what kind of game they are playing, they won't be walking away from it because they clearly stepped too close to something much bigger and more dangerous. Even though it's not really their fight.

I've been writing a series of deity lore pamphlets for DMsGuild with afterlife sections that flesh out the realms of the gods, including planar lore compiled from all editions. There are thirteen pamphlets in the series so far. The Selune pamphlet in particular might be useful for the campaign here, if the church of Selune is involved; I included details on the Infinite Staircase with additional fleshed out details for the case in which the PCs actually enter Selune's palace to reach the nexus of stairways - the Infinite Staircase would be a potential method to reach every plane used in the campaign, as it connects to cities across the multiverse.

Here's a link to my channel.
Dungeon Masters Guild -

Remove ads