D&D 5E Planescape 5e - everything we know & some speculation

Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate was released on June 10, 2022 - this is where the Astral Dragon appeared. THEN Spelljammer: Adventures in Spaces was released on August 16th, 2022 - where the Astral Dragon saw print in a 5e product.

I think the implication is that MAYBE the same sort of "preview"/"sneak peek" is happening with the Chaos Dragon in MtG and the upcoming Planescape 5e release.

Btw, this is all AFAICT because I stopped playing/following MtG a looooong time ago, so others may know better.

I'm a bit confused about everyone here discussing astral dragons being in the Spelljammer set. There are no astral dragons in the Spelljammer set. There are solar and lunar dragons, but no astral dragons. And the astral, solar, and lunar dragons have been all separate entities since 2e, so the astral dragons didn't stealth change into one of the other types.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm a bit confused about everyone here discussing astral dragons being in the Spelljammer set. There are no astral dragons in the Spelljammer set. There are solar and lunar dragons, but no astral dragons. And the astral, solar, and lunar dragons have been all separate entities since 2e, so the astral dragons didn't stealth change into one of the other types.
Oh, so it is.

Image (4).png

clb-664-astral-dragon.jpg

We have already established they are magic cards. The discussion was that the magic cards are a preview of future D&D books. Someone said the astral dragon was a magic card and then in the spelljammer set. However, that was incorrect, as @Demetrios1453 pointed out.

Its a huge shame the cool looking Astral Dragon wasn't in Spelljammer, but maybe they are saving it for Planescape along with Chaos Dragons.

Now I am thinking about a second group of quom with a different strategy for her ressurection. They would be (psionic ) ardents, using psionic powers to heal and manipulate positive energy against undead, in the name of Lakal. This faith would work like the vestige pact magic. If there is a high number of believers among the no-quom, then she could return/resurrect.

My own version of the infinite staircase is being reimagined. It has been altered by the "spellplague" and now there are regions with wildlife. There are also raids of nathri, but not all are hostile. Some nathri are relatively peaceful farmers living in their "biomas", and some times selling magical fruits or drinks.

Other effect or phenomenon linked to the spellplague (at least teorically) is the Lady of the Pain created lots of "mazes" dungeon demiplanes to punish who offended her, but these "landed" or mergered with regions of the infinite staircase. And after these "zones" expanded creating like clone versions of the Gatetowns. Other curious point is lots of temples of "killed" god of portals Aoskar.

52473abcdf365c0e7caf0e67a46ac256.jpg

I miss the wood elemental monsters, but the wood elemental plane seemed a relatively boring place for planar adventurers. Then I imagine a different plane working in the beginning like a planar landfill/spillway. Remains of different pieces from the rest of multiverse arrived, and also lots of seeds. This allowed vegetal life, and later some animals, and in the end some colonies of sentient species, mainly wildens (4th Ed). This is a very interesting place to be investigated by botanists, but there are also risks, for example sentient fey version of yellow musk creepers (cute monster plant girl with an army of mind-controlled plantouched zombies).

This "planar gutter" also can hide "shards" of destroyed/erasured demiplanes. You never know when you could find a lost civilitation.

1687773045517.png

Quickleaf

Legend
My bad, I must have gotten those three dragons confused. Also I wisely didn't buy the Spelljammer set, so I was just going off what others were reporting about it here. I'll be more careful to double check next time.

Quickleaf

Legend
It's from Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse. Pg. 27. I am hoping that the 5e Planescape book will shed some more light on their origin.
It's brand new lore from that book.

I wonder if someone saw this picture in the original PS boxed set and drew inspiration from it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-26 at 9.23.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-26 at 9.23.53 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 79

Remove ads