Boxed Sets 2018 Style

gyor

Legend
I liked the boxed sets FR did in 2e days with regions of the world. They had softcover books of 32-64 pages. I think one was the regional overview and another was for an adventure in that land. They could throw in some maps and encounter maps.

What I am wondering is the cost of printing. I remember reading that this part is an incredible amount of final cost. The boxed set book were just folded and stapled. The heavy paper and binding is nice, but cheaper would be better to me. I mean, when 6e comes out in a few years most of the 5e stuff will be very limited in use.

6e is a lot more then a few years away. It's still growing at huge rate and it will most likely continue to do so for at least two years, it would be even more years before sales dropped enough to warrant 6e. And honestly if there is a hit D&D movie in the next few years, it will cause D&D to explode further boasting the market, and adding possibly another decade to 5e's life span.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by aco175
I mean, when 6e comes out in a few years most of the 5e stuff will be very limited in use.

Why?

Yeah, there is 1e and 2e stuff that I've purchased on DMs Guild to use with my 5e game. I think it will be MORESO the case with 5e. Even if any future editions are so different that there is no backwards compatibility with the rules, the 5e books mix DM and player content and lore and crunch in the same books. Certainly others will have differing opinions, but the 5e "fluff" is some the best written and most in tune with the kind of game I want to run than any other edition.

Henry

Autoexreginated
One of the greatest assets to 5e is its ease at conversion of old AD&D materials (the early 1e stuff, anyway) to 5e equivalents. I have successfully converted the old modules B2, C1, UK4, and A1 to 5e over the past few years, and largely the challenges have stayed the same (I had to alter a few for creatures that did not exist as 5e creatures, or create critters whole cloth). Looking over some of the 2nd edition stuff, it might be a bit harder, because some of the creatures (in particular, Dragons, Demons, and Devils) did change a bit between AD&D 1st edition and 2nd edition, and their challenge gets a bit thrown off when doing straight monster substitution. Keeping in mind however, that all the modules I've converted so far are 8th level and under, I haven't really looked in-depth at converting say, a Vecna must Die or Return to the Tomb of Horrors, so any difficulty in converting 2nd ed stuff is more perception than playtested experience.

Remove ads