Boxes of old lore

lior_shapira

Explorer
I read a thread posted yesterday (I think) about AnakinOU getting a cartload of old stuff (http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1923401#post1923401) and it got me thinking...

I've been playing d&d starting with the basic set in 1990 and have 5 big boxes FULL of OD&D and 2nd Ed. AD&D material. This includes everything spelljammer, almost everything planescape, ravenloft, FR, class books, almost all the monster compendiums... And all this is just gathering dust. I buy 3rd edition books like a dope field ;) and don't really use my old stuff.

How about you? do you use your old stuff? does it sit in a box somewhere sad and lonely?

lior

reanjr

First Post
lior_shapira said:
I read a thread posted yesterday (I think) about AnakinOU getting a cartload of old stuff (http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1923401#post1923401) and it got me thinking...

I've been playing d&d starting with the basic set in 1990 and have 5 big boxes FULL of OD&D and 2nd Ed. AD&D material. This includes everything spelljammer, almost everything planescape, ravenloft, FR, class books, almost all the monster compendiums... And all this is just gathering dust. I buy 3rd edition books like a dope field ;) and don't really use my old stuff.

How about you? do you use your old stuff? does it sit in a box somewhere sad and lonely?

lior

For the most part, all of mine sit lonely on a book shelf. The only books I tend to really look at are the Van Richten's Monster Hunter's series from Ravenloft and Faces of Evil from Planescape. Those books are very entertaining to read. Every once in a while I'll get on a campaign setting kick and read a bunch of stuff from a single campaign setting. I've really only done this with Dark Sun and Birthright, though. Sometimes when creating optional rules for something, I'll go back to the 2e core books to get some ideas as they had a lot of different ways of doing thing back then, so the game mechanics seemed a lot more creative.

diaglo

Adventurer
lior_shapira said:

i only use my good stuff.

the newer editions are the ones gathering dust on my shelves.

my hat of d02 knows no limits. :mad: :mad: :mad:

VirgilCaine

First Post
Well, I've incorporated Al-Qadim and the Savage Coast, as well as a few FR locations into my homebrew. Of course, this is only because this stuff was free from the WotC website, but, the point remains I am using 2e material. Even though I never played it.

Marimmar

First Post
My old stuff fills a shelf in my living room, I pick up old adventure modules once in a while and take a look at some of my old region books from my FR collection. All my boxed sets though are stored away in a huge box in my cellar gathering dust.

~Marimmar

francisca

I got dice older than you.
lior_shapira said:
Yes. I use it. I just recently closed out a basic/expert mini-campaign, and am starting a 1E Greyhawk campaign in a few short weeks.

I will only be playing 3.5 about once a month via the RPGA for the forseeable future.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I've been trading my old stuff that was gathering dust for minis and other books. I figure that it's a better world if I get those books into hands that will use them than having them on my shelf. There are many books I keep, and will use again when I start DMing again, but there were just as many that I know I'll never use. Better to get them to someone that will use them than to keep them.

That said, I'll never trade my OD&D "pamphlet" books that are the true originals. Too much nostalgia there.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I use my old stuff mostly for nostalgia value, although I do get the odd moment of inspiration from some of the old boxes. Mostly nostalgia value though. Yeah. The sight, smell, and content of a D&D book is one of my most powerful memory triggers.

JustKim

First Post
I keep my old books and pick one off the shelf to read about once a week, sometimes for conversion ideas and sometimes to catch up on information that's left out of the new books. I've never sold any of my books and I frequently buy old books because they're at least as useful as the new ones.

Remove ads