WotC Brand New D&D Video Game from WotC's New Acquisition Tuque Games

Tuque Games has announced it's working on a brand new D&/D video game. "We're developing a brand-new game based in the widely celebrated, enduring, and immensely popular Dungeons & Dragons universe. This yet to be announced title is steepled in classic D&D lore. We aspire to push this game to new heights for the genre. It’s an honour and a privilege to begin a new chapter for Dungeons &...

Tuque Games has announced it's working on a brand new D&/D video game. "We're developing a brand-new game based in the widely celebrated, enduring, and immensely popular Dungeons & Dragons universe. This yet to be announced title is steepled in classic D&D lore. We aspire to push this game to new heights for the genre. It’s an honour and a privilege to begin a new chapter for Dungeons & Dragons video games."

Logo_Tuque_Color_invert.png

Not only that, but the company has been purchased by WotC! The press release went out earlier today:

RENTON, Wash., Oct. 29, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS), today announced that it has acquired Tuque Games, a digital game development studio based in Montreal. Tuque is led by veterans of the game industry with experience working for leading publishers. Tuque will continue the development of games for Wizards of the Coast's best-known brands, beginning with Dungeons & Dragons.

"At Wizards, we're continuing our commitment to creating new ways to bring our fan favorite brands to life," said Chris Cocks, President, Wizards of the Coast. "Our unique approach of connecting fans around the tabletop as well as through our expanding portfolio of digital games is redefining what it means to be a games company."

Founded in 2012 by Jeff Hattem, Tuque Games released their first title, Livelock, to critical acclaim in 2016. Now with over 55 full-time employees, Tuque will focus on the development of digital games based on the popular Dungeons & Dragons franchise.

"Tuque is thrilled to have the opportunity to be part of the Wizards of the Coast team," said Jeff Hattem, Founder, Tuque Games. "By working more closely together, we can accelerate our joint vision and bring to life new games, characters and worlds in Wizards of the Coast's roster of franchises."

"In Tuque, we believe we have found a unique partner that pairs the nimbleness of an indie studio with the veteran leadership and scale required to deliver complex AAA games for our largest franchises," said David Schwartz, VP of Digital Publishing, Wizards of the Coast. "We are excited to bring Jeff and the Tuque team to the Wizards of the Coast family, which we believe will allow us to continue to meet the needs of our fans while enabling us to scale our digital games development capabilities even faster."

It seems there's a bit of a D&D video game renaissance going on. Baldur's Gate 3 is coming, as is Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
Methinks this is going to be more Sword Coast Legends than Baldur's Gate. You would expect at least SOME mention that existing studio employees were avid D&D tabletop gamers...or even D&D video gamers. Nothing.

Yeah, this gives me a Sword Coast Legends vibe all over the place.

Bioware did it in 1998.

In 1998 the video game development landscape was so different that it's not reasonable to compare to 2019. Likewise "no reason to deny" is nonsense, because they give out licenses to few people who ask for them. They refused Obsidian and Beamdog for FINNEGAN's sake.

So, Tuque has a long term goal of being AAA studio, but they haven't said this will be a AAA game out the gate.

They absolutely are saying that. It is completely bizarre to misrepresent things in this way. Everything Tuque and WotC has said is "AAA". All the positions they're hiring for require AAA experience. They literally use the term AAA repeatedly. They could not be more clear.

It's like saying a company saying "We're building a sportscar!" might actually be building a compact car. Bizarre. Maybe they're massive liars but it seems unlikely! :p

EDIT - They literally, less than an hour ago, after my other post, deleted their blog post that went on about AAA so hey maybe something is going on there.

Yeah, this gives me a Sword Coast Legends vibe all over the place.

Yup.
According to The Admiral, you‘ve been here long enough to know the rules about cursing. This is the first report I’ve seen of you doing so in this thread. If I find another example in here, you’re going to get threadban AND tempban from the site.

If we get some more reports in the near future...

You now have a few minutes to do some editing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mercador

Adventurer
Wow, when I saw the name and the logo, I thought immediatly to "La guerre des tuques" to find out that it's a company based in Montréal. It makes sense.

Edit: looked at their website, I'm 100% with Ruin Explorer on this one, it doesn't smells good. There's dozen indie studios in Montréal, not sure why they are buying that one.

You should read that one (unfortunately, only in French):

"Avec Livelock, nous avons réussi à rendre la marchandise sans que ce ne soit un désastre complet! " Ouch.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Wow, when I saw the name and the logo, I thought immediatly to "La guerre des tuques" to find out that it's a company based in Montréal. It makes sense.

Edit: looked at their website, I'm 100% with Ruin Explorer on this one, it doesn't smells good. There's dozen indie studios in Montréal, not sure why they are buying that one.

You should read that one (unfortunately, only in French):

"Avec Livelock, nous avons réussi à rendre la marchandise sans que ce ne soit un désastre complet! " Ouch.
For those who dont read french: ''With Livelock, we managed to deliver the product without it being a complete disaster''. I guess this is positivism?

Remove ads

Remove ads