• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Breaking Magic Items

EverSoar

First Post
While reading the similiar thread about forsakers having to destroy magic weapons. How exactly do you destory magic weapons?

As i thought(possibly 2nd edition) that magic weapons never blunted, never rusted. Is that actually true?

James McMurray

First Post
While they may be immune to normal rust, magical rust (Rusting Grasp, Rust Monster, etc.) works. In order to otherwise damage them you have to either hit them with energy attacks or other weapons with an equal or higher enhancement bonus.

Other methods would depend upon the DM, such as crushing, bending until they break, etc.

-Ekimus-

First Post
eh its actually very easy. i forget what page its on, but look under Sunder for Feats and it gives u the page to look at. it shows item hardness and hit points, a +1 weapon makes hardness +1 and hit points +1, so it is again, relatively easy to break them

kreynolds

First Post
-Ekimus- said:
eh its actually very easy. i forget what page its on, but look under Sunder for Feats and it gives u the page to look at. it shows item hardness and hit points, a +1 weapon makes hardness +1 and hit points +1, so it is again, relatively easy to break them

It's only easy to break a +1 magic weapon if you have a +1 magic weapon to break it with, or a spell.

EverSoar

First Post
so what your saying, is you need the same enchantment?

Or that so long as you hit it with enough damage, you break it?

personally i'd rule that it has to be the same enchantment, or at least +1 to even damage another magic item

kreynolds

First Post
EverSoar said:
so what your saying, is you need the same enchantment?

Same or better to damage the weapon at all.

EverSoar said:
personally i'd rule that it has to be the same enchantment, or at least +1 to even damage another magic item

It has to be the same enchantment or better than the weapon you are striking. So, a +1 can damage another +1, but not a +2.

Last edited:

Tzarevitch

First Post
kreynolds said:

It's only easy to break a +1 magic weapon if you have a +1 magic weapon to break it with, or a spell.

Personally I ignore that rule. It makes no sense to me that your +1 greatsword sword can be snapped in two by a +1 dagger but a 500 ton stone block falling on it can't break it at all.

Also, it makes no sense that weapons and armor get a sovereign protection from their enhancement bonus yet miscellaneous magic items don't receive any protection. In other words, a +1 shuriken is unbreakable by a heavy maul, but you can use a mundane dagger to stave in the side of an Apparatus of Qualish or a Daern's Instant Fortress.

The rule makes no logical sense and so far as I can tell, exists only to protect the PCs' stuff. I say, if the PCs want their stuff protected they are free to put it on a glass case over their mantles. If they want to use their items where they is needed, they take their chances on them being broken. (And rest assured I WILL not hesitate for a bad guy tobreak an item if it is convienent for him to do so.)

Tzarevitch

kreynolds

First Post
Tzarevitch said:
Personally I ignore that rule.

Then, except for the sentence following this one, I can ignore everything else in your post.

Tzarevitch said:
It makes no sense to me that your +1 greatsword sword can be snapped in two by a +1 dagger

Both weapons would have to deal over 11 points of damage to deal any damage at all. Now, which is more likely to do that? A dagger? A greatsword?

EDIT: Also, a +1 dagger would have a whopping 2 hit points. A +1 greatsword would have 11.

Last edited:

sty

First Post
Conclusion

Can a very big stone falling from a very high hill break or not a +1 dagger??

How about your +1 breast plate?

And your ring of jump?

All of then are magical itens.
Does you have to break it with another magical? Or there any other way?

So, how would a Forsaker (can´t use magical itens) break magical itens??

Remove ads