Breaking News: Kuo-Toa Not Froggy Anymore

Kunimatyu

First Post
This is a "Crazed Kuo-Toa" from the Worlds and Monsters Gallery -- it looks more like a humanoid viperfish to me:

112108.jpg

I predict that Skum will be gone, but that Aboleth will have an out of combat ritual that allows them to turn willing humanoids into Kuo-Toa.

Thing is, as far back as I can remember, kuo-toa were written to be fishy, not froggy. The frogginess came specifically from the art--which often failed to match the written word.

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Kunimatyu said:
This is a "Crazed Kuo-Toa" from the Worlds and Monsters Gallery -- it looks more like a humanoid viperfish to me:

112108.jpg

I predict that Skum will be gone, but that Aboleth will have an out of combat ritual that allows them to turn willing humanoids into Kuo-Toa.

Looks like a midget Rancor who just won the Biggest Loser.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
Thing is, as far back as I can remember, kuo-toa were written to be fishy, not froggy. The frogginess came specifically from the art--which often failed to match the written word.

I'm with Ari-- I don't remember kuo-toa as anything other than fishy.

But then I don't think I've even seen 3e kuo-toa art, or their MM entry...

hong

WotC's bitch
The original Deep Ones were the sahuagin. Any word on what's happening to them in 4E?

That said, all of these fish-folk tend to merge into each other after some time.

Orius

Legend
Mouseferatu said:

Same here. Kuo-toa are fish-men (or is that fish-folk) that live underground.

And drow and mind flayers were always cooler. :p

Remove ads