D&D 5E breaking the healing rules with goodberries

Sorry Celtavian, if you want answers to your latest questions please reread my last post more carefully, especially the last two words. I answered your question but I don't have time to answer an endless stream of them. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

guachi

Hero
Wow! This still going on?

You can choose the sage advice ruling ( which goes against the rules presented in the PHB) or not. It may differ from campaign to campaign but so what?

The disciple of life feature works specifically when casting a spell of 1st level or higher to restore hit points to a creature.

The Goodberry spell, when cast, does not restore hit points to a creature. The spell creates berries which may be consumed by a creature at some point in time. Thus the disciple of life feature doesn't affect them.

Other abilities that trigger when X happens, actually require X to happen before they apply right? Disciple of life is no different.

Sage Advice explains the way the rules work. That Sage Advice allows Disciple of Life to work with Goodberry means that your interpretation is wrong.

Sage Advice explains the way the rules work. That Sage Advice allows Disciple of Life to work with Goodberry means that your interpretation is wrong.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sage advice gives one possible interpretation of the rules to use or not as you see fit. Anything beyond that requires an individual to give more importance to something than it is due.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Sorry Celtavian, if you want answers to your latest questions please reread my last post more carefully, especially the last two words. I answered your question but I don't have time to answer an endless stream of them. Have a nice day.

Then don't ever claim your world somehow mirrors reality more than one that has active enemies that pursue the PCs. That claim by you and few others was tired and rubbish when it was posted. Realistic worlds have active enemies trying to take resources with enemies that pursue to the death if you oppose them. IF you never run situations like that, then your world isn't very realistic is it? So maybe you can stop making that ridiculous claim.

If you're not running your enemies in an active manner, I guess you're soft-balling or protecting your players because they always have the option to run and you'll play your NPCs and monsters allowing it. I run enemies with the intent to kill the PCs that oppose them. That is why I must not make encounters too strong. Not your misinterpretation that I was "protecting my PCs" or "pulling punches." I have active NPCs in my game world that don't allow PCs to avoid them. To me that is a realistic world with magic that allows you track someone down that opposes you. I guess your newbie players couldn't handle determined enemies pursuing them to the death including ambushing them with complex tactics, but my veteran players can. That's quite surprising (not really, but I'm making assumptions about your newbie players like you did my veteran players).

You don't understand my game. You make assumptions about it that aren't true. I'd be quite happy if I never saw your response to one of my posts ever again given your lack of understanding of what I do in my campaigns. I pay you the same courtesy because I don't care for your campaigning style. The only time I bother to interact with you is when you're tossing out useless advice for how to deal with a situation you don't comprehend.

Have a nice day!

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Well, just as a point, very, very few enemies are intent on pursuing the party until they are all dead. Most opponents would be perfectly satisfied with chasing off the party. Claims of realism are a tricky thing at best.

Then again, baddies that always fight to the death and never surrender is one of my personal bugaboos. I do wish 5e had morale rules.

Well, just as a point, very, very few enemies are intent on pursuing the party until they are all dead. Most opponents would be perfectly satisfied with chasing off the party. Claims of realism are a tricky thing at best.

Then again, baddies that always fight to the death and never surrender is one of my personal bugaboos. I do wish 5e had morale rules.

having cults and priests give there lives for what they believe in is hard to get my mind around after two or three times, but normal monsters, or worse animals...it drives me nuts

my own little aside years ago I was told we were going to play a more 'realistic' game, it didn't have hit points, and you roll for locations... then in the first game I shot someone with a called shot knee... I hit and did lots of damage, they fell down and on there turn kept shooting... FACEPALM!!! somehow it has gotten into I would say 70-80% of DM/GM that everymonster has rabies and wont save there own life...

It does, actually, in the DMG. Wisdom save, DC 10 IIRC. But it would be nice indeed if it had GOOD morale rules, and morale stats in the MM. I steal them from AD&D MM to compensate.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord

No Kidding. That's why I find it strange when they are made concerning games like this by those that think sandboxes somehow represent more character freedom or a more realistic game. Neither is true. A location railroad is still a railroad. Creating a ship where 24 beholders end up in the way of the characters is still designing encounters the characters have a chance of winning. None of it is this huge difference folks like Hemlock attempt to make it seem like.

Soon as someone reads you like to have a cohesive narrative for an adventure, they somehow think that player choice goes out the window. It doesn't. A narrative involves creating plans for NPCs in a given area. How the PCs deal with those plans is always up to the PCs. They always have the freedom to make choices including leaving. When I do what I refer to as a location adventure, I design narratives for the various enemies in the location as well even if they are not working together. All a sandbox is to me is a location railroad or a location narrative. I have done those adventures many times and enjoy them. I still like to work out motivations for my encounters whether it be a gnoll tribe or a highly intelligent king even when running location narratives. I still like to tailor a few encounters to truly challenge my group knowing they'll walk over 80% of the encounters...100% if I don't tailor a few encounters.

When I say I tailor encounters to be challenging, I do it because I have to. This idea that Hemlock has that he can just make up whatever he wants and challenge a coordinated, min-maxer party is laughable. A coordinated party runs over stuff unless you know how to challenge them. Any old monster isn't a challenge. If you're throwing things at them way above their level, then playing it poorly so they survive that is the essence of soft-balling. I don't soft-ball. If I throw a powerful dragon into an encounter, I make that dragon capable of challenging the party. It's not some random encounter they get to destroy while they chat over the table because I didn't bother to plan for tactix x, y, and z that makes the dragon a cakewalk.

Here's a question: do your PCs allow opponents to run if they can help it? I can understand them arresting someone if that is possible. Do they allow them to flee if the enemies don't have the means? Or do they pursue them to do the death unless the NPCs have the means to truly escape?

My PCs don't allow enemies to escape. I have to plan an NPCs escape if I want them to be able to escape. Meaning they have to really be able to escape like getting off a teleport or being able to escape detection. I play NPCs the same way. My PCs know it and they have escape spells on their spell list because they know this is how I play. If a party walked into one of the encounters I expect to be challenging, they had better walk in with an escape route or they might not live.

My game is a step under killer DM. I have to be careful not create overkill encounters.

The goal is to challenge PCs, not kill them easily. No one likes that kind of game. It's discouraging. And no one likes a game where there are very few challenges or the few challenges that are in their way are easily avoidable by simply choosing not to engage. Those types of games bore people...at least they bore my players. I'm fairly certain they bore a high percentage of players. Players want to feel like they did something extraordinary. The stronger the enemy they defeat, the more satisfying the victory.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
having cults and priests give there lives for what they believe in is hard to get my mind around after two or three times, but normal monsters, or worse animals...it drives me nuts

my own little aside years ago I was told we were going to play a more 'realistic' game, it didn't have hit points, and you roll for locations... then in the first game I shot someone with a called shot knee... I hit and did lots of damage, they fell down and on there turn kept shooting... FACEPALM!!! somehow it has gotten into I would say 70-80% of DM/GM that everymonster has rabies and wont save there own life...

Animals fighting to the death once engaged is believable. Animals that during the fight or flight reaction decide to fight will often go into a frenzy when severely wounded fighting until dead. They are frightened beyond their limited ability to think. They are committed to the battle. Usually animals would run immediately if given the opportunity. I generally play animals as fleeing armed adventurers that wander into their territory unless there is some reason to do otherwise like protecting their young or suffering under the effects of enchantment.

I always have humanoids or intelligent creatures attempt to surrender or flee. Unfortunately, the PCs usually execute them. I have a particularly vicious group of players that don't like to leave anyone alive. Just last week they executed a female ranger that tried to ambush them with a group of orcs. They disarmed her. She was defeated, disheartened, and at their mercy. They pronounced sentence and executed her. When she was captured, she was near full hit points. She had no real chance to fight and no real chance to escape. She threw herself on the mercy of the PCs and they didn't have any. I might bring her back as a revenant since the reason she was going after them was they killed her lover.

I always try to have the NPCs react in a manner that reinforces verisimilitude. I like to plan how they react in advance thinking about their upbringing. My goal is to keep the players in character as much as possible. It's hard with veteran players. Using meta-game knowledge is too natural to them.

Remove ads