D&D 5E breaking the healing rules with goodberries

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It does, actually, in the DMG. Wisdom save, DC 10 IIRC. But it would be nice indeed if it had GOOD morale rules, and morale stats in the MM. I steal them from AD&D MM to compensate.

I'm strongly considering using the morale rules, but I'll be making it Charisma save instead of Wisdom since it's about confidence and exerting control rather than passive mental resistance. I don't see any really good reason it should be a Wisdom save at all.

Hussar

Legend
I'm strongly considering using the morale rules, but I'll be making it Charisma save instead of Wisdom since it's about confidence and exerting control rather than passive mental resistance. I don't see any really good reason it should be a Wisdom save at all.

Just spitballing here, but, what about a Cha save with a bonus equal to CR? That way big tough monsters don't run away as often as small, weak monsters, but, since it's Cha based, there's still a decent chance of any critter actually running.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Just spitballing here, but, what about a Cha save with a bonus equal to CR? That way big tough monsters don't run away as often as small, weak monsters, but, since it's Cha based, there's still a decent chance of any critter actually running.

I think that would be largely unnecessary. Lots of powerful monsters have decent charisma or are proficient with the save (see demons, devils, and dragons in particular). The conditions of having lost half its hit points or being unable to significantly affect the party are harder to achieve with powerful monsters over small and weak ones.

Edit: Plus, adding the CR would kind of kick the bounded accuracy system in the jimmies.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Kinda sorta. I was thinking the save dc would be baseline 10 with maybe a flinch factor depending on situation. What school were you thinking?

It's not like things get all sorts of save bonuses otherwise. And it would seem strange to me that a dinosaur would be as easy to scare off as an Orc or a hobgoblin.

I don't see any reason not to use the B/X system and assign each monster a base morale score. Use a simple 2d6 roll under morale score with modifiers and go with it. Not every mechanic has to use some formula based on a monster's ability scores. With any system like that, there will be bizarre statistic arrays which produce results that don't make sense. Think about each monster and assign it a reasonable score based on its nature.

I don't see any reason not to use the B/X system and assign each monster a base morale score. Use a simple 2d6 roll under morale score with modifiers and go with it. Not every mechanic has to use some formula based on a monster's ability scores. With any system like that, there will be bizarre statistic arrays which produce results that don't make sense. Think about each monster and assign it a reasonable score based on its nature.

One reason not to is that going off the d20 breaks some of 5E's assumptions. For example, a Diviner would be unable to foresee (/instigate) a rout via Portent.

It may not be sufficient reason not to, but it's something to consider.

One reason not to is that going off the d20 breaks some of 5E's assumptions. For example, a Diviner would be unable to foresee (/instigate) a rout via Portent.

It may not be sufficient reason not to, but it's something to consider.

If morale were a meta roll which is not an attack roll, saving throw, or ability check then nothing is affected. Also, portent is very personal affecting yourself or a single creature that you can see. While morale might be for a single creature, it is often checked for troops or groups.

Remove ads