• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Bridging the cognitive gap between how the game rules work and what they tell us about the setting

Except for the fact that it does and always has. Or do you think that we're not supposed to understand anything from the fact that recovery spells are named "cure light wounds" "heal" "regenerate," etc.
It has always represented cosmetic level injury that doesn't debilitate. And it is impossible to have a would deep and hard enough measured under the hit point system that can not be affected by sufficient castings of cure light wounds (short of death). To get actual injuries you need to go round the hit point system.

If you had actually bothered to read regenerate you would know that it does in fact regenerate.
The subject’s severed body members (fingers, toes, hands, feet, arms, legs, tails, or even heads of multiheaded creatures), broken bones, and ruined organs grow back. After the spell is cast, the physical regeneration is complete in 1 round if the severed members are present and touching the creature. It takes 2d10 rounds otherwise.
Regenerate also cures 4d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +35), rids the subject of exhaustion and/or fatigue, and eliminates all nonlethal damage the subject has taken. It has no effect on nonliving creatures (including undead).

The regenerate part is the part that actually allows you to regenerate severed body members and broken bones. Heal likewise does some actual healing of non-cosmetic damage.
Heal enables you to channel positive energy into a creature to wipe away injury and afflictions. It immediately ends any and all of the following adverse conditions affecting the Target: ability damage, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, sickened, stunned, and poisoned. It also cures 10 hit points of damage per level of the caster, to a maximum of 150 points at 15th level.
So you selectively decide to pay attention to what one spell name/description says, but not the others?
It's not me doing this. I'm looking at the actual effects of the spells. You, however, are just looking at the names of the spells, paying no attention at all to the description (including the fact that regenerate literally calls out healing broken bones) and saying that somehow that because regenerate actually heals broken bones separately from hit points hit points must be the sort of injuries the spell handles separately.
That's not a very consistent way of looking at things. Likewise, the idea that hit points are a mixture of luck, divine protection, etc. was dealt with in the OP, i.e. that there's an essay or two that says that in the Core Rulebooks, but the game's operations don't reflect that, and never have
And you were talking arrant nonsense there too.
until 4E tried to shoehorn them in. You can, in fact, represent a broken arm with hit point loss, and so repair it with cure light wounds.
No you can't. Have you ever tried to use a broken arm? Have you ever tried to swing a polearm with one? Because in your world this gives no penalties.
Losing body parts is something else (hence the perennial argument that "regenerate is an answer to a problem that isn't present (notwithstanding a sword of sharpness)" argument).
Regenerate is a solution to things like Sword of Sharpness and putting your hand in the Sphere of Annihilation that aren't represented by hit points.
You've almost stumbled upon a good point here, but gotten a salient point wrong, which is that the cognitive gap is about how much effort the players (which includes the DM) have to put in in order to bridge the different between what's happening in the game world and what the rules tell them. Unfortunately, the 4E rules are more obscure in many respects than what previous editions represented in that regard. The fact that some people don't mind that work doesn't mean that it's not there, which is demonstrated by how you keep saying that just because you can fix the problem, it's not a problem.
4e was pushed out before it was ready and is badly explained. I'm not fixing problems, I'm pointing out what the rules say but could have been more clearly expressed.
So you acknowledge here than an injury is being taken. That's a step forward.
I have never denied that hit points represented bruises and minor cuts. They just aren't more than that. The step forward is you finally understanding what is meant by cosmetic damage.
The fact that they're playing through the pain, as it were, doesn't change the fact that it's still an injury, however, and potentially a serious one. That's markedly different than a paper cut. Again, the characters are being damaged, they're just not letting it slow them down.
You can't "play through the pain" for a broken leg. The damage is light.
In point of fact, an examination of 4E demonstrates that it's much worse at reflecting characters in this way. That's because while it wants to measure characters' injuries as well as their ability to keep going in the face of them, it foolishly tried to measure both of those by the same metric: hit points.
No it doesn't. This is what older editions did. 4e produced multiple metrics.
Had it moved the personal stamina issue over to its own mechanic, then that would have worked out much better.
It has both healing surges and daily powers. It did what you want.
And this goes to show that you yourself don't understand the game you're defending, which is why you have to keep misrepresenting what the books actually say in order to get your point across. The lack of a gap is entirely in your own mind, because you keep reassigning terms and definitions in ways that the books you're championing don't acknowledge.
This is pure projection. You are arguing against a straw version of 4e based on not understanding it.
This overlooks that the operation of a healing surge is to restore hit points.
This pretends that the only purpose of a healing surge is to restore hit points. They can also be used to power powers, to power rituals, and taken away by both exhaustion and energy drain mechanics. The fact that healing surges can be lost to things sapping overall vitality (such as "a gruelling trek across hostile terrain") in addition to recovering from damage is explicitly called out on p76 of the DMG.

Once more this is entirely based on your having failed the cognitive load to understand 4e (which could have been easier with better writing) and deciding fifteen years after launch to open a long thread about your failure to understand 4e.
The same way other curative effects restore hit points, even when those effects are explicitly stated to heal injuries.
Except not the same way because the cost is different.
So if the healing surge is the character spending their own healing surges, what does that mean from an in-character standpoint? And why is it activated by another character's actions if it's something the target is doing? Because the answer here is that the regaining of hit points via a healing surge isn't wound recovery, whereas the recovery of hit points from certain other operations is.
This is what is colloquially known as an ass-pull. Spending a healing surge is digging into endurance to keep going. It isn't wound recovery, but it is things like catching your breath. You are still weakened and tired
Ergo, the game has hit point restoration (and loss) being two different things, even though it's the same instance of game mechanics. Hence the widening of the cognitive gap.
And this sentence seems to assume that hit points are a genuine measurable thing and injuries work as in Order of the Stick, rather than that there are approximations involved.
So why doesn't a Healing Word work on them when they've run out of healing surges, even though the description for Healing Word says "You whisper a brief prayer as divine light washes over your target, helping to mend its wounds."
The Healing Word does work on them. The light still washes over the target. They're just exhausted and drained and have no more to give. A simple pick-me-up isn't going to do it any more. Why does a pizza party feel good when people are already OK but do nothing for people who are demoralised?
Because you're apparently only interested in discussing your own, rather than what's in the 4E rules.
I am discussing what is in the 4e rules. You however are only interested in engaging in your own version of them. And I can say that your version of the 4e rules suck.
Which is why very few effects specify losing a body part, hence why that specific operation is called out in regenerate. However, I'm baffled that you think a cure light wounds spell can't repair a broken bone.
I'm baffled you think it can.
So you grant the premise that hit point restoration was traditionally (prior to 4E) only about restoring physical injury. Good to know.
And that all physical injury so represented was largely cosmetic. Minor cuts and bruises.
I think what you're saying here is that Cure X Wounds spells have never been able to heal damage dealt by an intellect devourer, which is a rather odd position to take. In the AD&D 1E Monster Manual, intellect devourers deal psionic damage (i.e. the eating the intellect part) via ego whip or id insinuation, which as per the OP deals physical damage to an opponent, and so can be cured via cure light wounds.
I've never used 1e psionics in anger. The 3.5 one certainly can do Charisma damage via Ego Whip (Id Insinuation doing confusion). And Cure Light Wounds can't cure that.
In the 4E MM3 book, their "thought feast" power (for the intellect glutton) deals 10 points of psychic damage, which can also be cured via a cure light wounds power. So I'm not sure what your point here is.
That stat point damage went.
"Less different"? One is them accessing a personal reserve of stamina, and the other is bodily harm of some kind. If Healing Word was a placebo effect, why does its description say that divine light is washing over the target, helping to mend its wounds?
What do you think causes the placebo effect? The divine light has trivial direct healing - but it does have enough to help.
Why is there no mention of the target "perking up"? You say that there's also some healing magic, but it's also a "perking up" effect; that's literally two different operations at the same time, which is what the OP refers to.
There is healing magic in there. Just not very much of it. Just enough that the target can feel it.

Do you actually know what the placebo effect is?
Which is another acknowledgment on your part that two different things can potentially be happening even when the operation is that hit points are regained. You're making my argument for me.
And when a burn and a light cut are healed at the same time by the same cure light wounds spell two different things are happening. Your argument that an action can only do one thing at a time is sheer nonsense.
So in other words, you want to suggest that Healing Word doesn't actually heal physical damage despite what it says because of how many hit points are being regained?
No. I am suggesting that a small but non-zero amount of physical damage is healed - in specific at low level 1d6+Wis (with the Wis bonus coming from Healer's Lore) and it uses the target's energy to do this so can't work on the utterly exhausted. But I am suggesting that it feels much greater than that; the target is still injured to the point of having spent a recovery which will need to be recovered normally.
Because that's kind of the central point regarding 4E widening the cognitive gap.
That you think that only one thing can happen at a time?
Are you suggesting that healing surges don't recover hit points?
I am suggesting that they don't directly recover injuries. If you have full hit points but few healing surges you are not fully recovered.
But still dying, because you've taken wounds so severe that you can no longer function in spite of them.
Which is still more realistic and interesting than being just fine and unimpeded and then taking 2hp and being on a one way track to death without magical help.

Let's take an actual real world magic-free example of hit points and healing surges in action. And show why the healing surge model works and the pure hit point model doesn't in the real world. Two boxers having a boxing match.

Under the pre-4e model they throw the same attacks over and over, basically unchanging. Breaking between rounds does literally nothing. They start the next round at the exact same pace they ended the old one with exactly the same remaining hit point total and using exactly the same attacks. And when one character goes down to below 0hp they are either fine or out of it. I mean sure? That resolves the fight but not like any real boxing match I've seen, let alone a good one. It's boring and it's unrealistic. And the only way to have less than a ten count is for the attack to hit exactly 0hp.

Meanwhile under the 4e model the three minute break between rounds is being modelled as a short rest. (OK, that technically takes five in 4e). A boxer who was swaying on his feet at the end of one round can spend their healing surges so that they will be able to take more the next because endurance matters. And they will come out at the start of the round with encounter (but not daily) powers refreshed. A boxer who is knocked to the mat can have their coach (or their girlfriend) yell at them to get back on their feet and be inspired by that to stand up as they are being counted out. Inspiration matters on helping them to dig deep. So you can have the back and forth, and three counts and six counts rather than just a ten count without resorting to magic. Combine this with some tactics like baiting out the daily and we have at least a viable representation of a boxing match.
And yet the "personal reserves of stamina" issue still works to let you recover.
See the boxers.
If you need a citation toward your own alteration of how healing surges work, I don't know what to tell you; that was your own previous post!

Oh, the irony here. You've postulated that healing surges represent personal reserves, apart from hit points themselves, then turned around and said that the flavor text for Healing Word doesn't really say what it does.
Except it does say what it does. Creates light that does a little bit of healing. Nothing I have said is incompatible with this.
You literally just said that hit points don't tell us anything, that they were a video game lifebar, etc. So clearly you do hold that position.
1703786636353.png

Above is an image from the video game Doom. As you can see as his HP (or "health") gets lower he gets more cosmetically injured. But this doesn't slow him, just bringing him nearer to death. This is how hit points work. And they do tell something. They tell how long until the game over. This is what pre-4e hit points do.
This is an excellent demonstration of why your points are all over the place. You're bringing your own biases to the table,
My irony meter just exploded.
i.e. how you think the game "should" function in order to abet "good storytelling," because you apparently want a more narrative experience.
No. I work with the game as it actually works because it supports good storytelling. This takes no reflavouring.
No wonder you have to keep reflavoring what 4E says! The fact of the matter is that D&D has never been a narrative-first game; the story is an after-the-fact construct that you put together later. Even in 4E, fighters can fight indefinitely so long as they don't take damage, so if you think it solves that problem, well, it was only "the best" because you've introduced a lot of things that aren't in the books.
What 4e fighters can't do is fight at full strength indefinitely. They have a limited number of encounter and daily powers.
And again, this is you bringing your own issues to the table, rather than engaging with what's actually there. You want a game that includes an exhaustion/stamina mechanic, and that's fine. But having that be the same as the mechanic that tracks mounting injuries means that you have the same operation doing two things, and that's going to widen the cognitive gap, as it did in 4E.
And yet the DMG p76 is explicit that "a gruelling trek across hostile terrain" potentially costs a surge. And lack of endurance can stop you being able to fight.

And there is zero problem with having a mechanic that tracks multiple related things. The "cognitive gap" you are talking about is a lack not in the 4e rules but inside your head and your mental model of them.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Except for the fact that it does and always has. Or do you think that we're not supposed to understand anything from the fact that recovery spells are named "cure light wounds" "heal" "regenerate," etc.
Regenerate is a particularly interesting case. In AD&D the regenerate spell healed zero hp, it just heals physically severed limbs. No hp restoring spell did that.

1e:

Regenerate (Necromantic) Reversible
Level: 7 Components: V, S, M
Range: Touch Casting Time: 3 rounds
Duration: Permanent Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: Creature touched
Explanation/Description: When a regenerate spell is cast, body members (fingers, toes, hands, feet, arms, legs, tails, or even the heads of multi-headed creatures), bones, or organs will grow back. The process of regeneration requires but 1 round if the member(s) severed is (are) present and touching the creature, 2-8 turns otherwise. The reverse, wither, causes the member or organ touched to shrivel and cease functioning in 1 round, dropping off into dust in 2-8 turns. As is usual, creatures must be touched in order to have harmful effect occur. The material components of this spell are a prayer device and holy/unholy water.

2e:

Regenerate
(Necromancy)
Sphere: Necromantic
Range: Touch Components: V, S, M
Duration: Permnanent Casting Time: 3 rounds
Area of Effect: 1 creature Saving Throw: None
When a regenerate spell is cast, body members (fingers, toes, hands, feet, arms, legs, tails, or even the heads of multi-headed creatures), bones, and organs grow back. The process of regeneration requires but one round if the severed member(s) is (are) present and touching the creature, 2d4 turns otherwise. The creature must be living to receive the benefit of this spell. If the severed member is not present, or if the injury is older than one day per caster level, the recipient must roll a successful system shock check to survive the spell.
The reverse, wither, causes the member or organ touched to shrivel and cease functioning in one round, dropping off into dust in 2d4 turns. The creature must be touched for the harmful effect to occur.
The material components of this spell are a holy symbol and holy water (or unholy water for the reverse).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It has always represented cosmetic level injury that doesn't debilitate. And it is impossible to have a would deep and hard enough measured under the hit point system that can not be affected by sufficient castings of cure light wounds (short of death). To get actual injuries you need to go round the hit point system.
This is your own presumption, which is reflected nowhere in the actual operations of the game. Someone being hit with a red dragon's breath weapon for over a hundred hit points of damage and surviving because they have two hundred hit points has not taken "cosmetic level" injuries. They've taken serious, massive injuries that they're nevertheless gritting their teeth and pushing through, showcasing action movie-levels of toughness. The very idea that something like that is no more than "paper cut" level of injury isn't something that the game tells us; quite the opposite, really.
If you had actually bothered to read regenerate you would know that it does in fact regenerate.
The subject’s severed body members (fingers, toes, hands, feet, arms, legs, tails, or even heads of multiheaded creatures), broken bones, and ruined organs grow back. After the spell is cast, the physical regeneration is complete in 1 round if the severed members are present and touching the creature. It takes 2d10 rounds otherwise.
Regenerate also cures 4d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +35), rids the subject of exhaustion and/or fatigue, and eliminates all nonlethal damage the subject has taken. It has no effect on nonliving creatures (including undead).
Which entirely validates what I said about that spell and others like it curing the physical injuries that hit point loss represents, hence why they all restore hit point damage; the fact that the regenerate spell specifies that it restores severed body parts is indicative that hit point loss doesn't represent the severing of limbs, which you seem to think indicates means that hit point loss doesn't actually represent any sort of injuries (except for "cosmetic" ones) at all. Which is to say, you're once again making my argument for me, which brings up the question as to exactly what point you're pressing here, since you seem to be saying "you're right, but not really right" without clarifying what any of that means.
The regenerate part is the part that actually allows you to regenerate severed body members and broken bones. Heal likewise does some actual healing of non-cosmetic damage.
Heal enables you to channel positive energy into a creature to wipe away injury and afflictions. It immediately ends any and all of the following adverse conditions affecting the Target: ability damage, blinded, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, feebleminded, insanity, nauseated, sickened, stunned, and poisoned. It also cures 10 hit points of damage per level of the caster, to a maximum of 150 points at 15th level.
Yeah, heal is a spell that cures physical damage as well as conditions that cause non-hit point related debuffs. Now, you seem to be implying that this means that no other spell which restores hit points also cures wounds...leaving aside the fact that they spell name flat-out says that they do, even if you ignore their description. For instance, cure light wounds flat-out says:

When laying your hand upon a living creature, you channel positive energy that cures 1d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +5).
Since undead are powered by negative energy, this spell deals damage to them instead of curing their wounds. An undead creature can apply spell resistance, and can attempt a Will save to take half damage.

I suppose if you're sitting down with the idea that the only wounds hit point loss represents are paper cuts, and that a spell has to explicitly spell out which wounds it cures, then you might not read very much into that. But that's your house rules, not what the game is saying. Regenerate will bring back a lost limb, but if you think there's no middle ground between a lost limb and a paper cut, well, that one's on you.

It's not me doing this. I'm looking at the actual effects of the spells. You, however, are just looking at the names of the spells, paying no attention at all to the description (including the fact that regenerate literally calls out healing broken bones) and saying that somehow that because regenerate actually heals broken bones separately from hit points hit points must be the sort of injuries the spell handles separately.
So in other words, you don't think that there's any informative aspect to the names of the spells, and are looking at the effects purely in terms of hit points being a "lifebar" that measure nothing except the occasional bit of cosmetic damage. That's entirely your presumption here, and not at all what the game actually spells out. Which certainly explains why you've flat-out rewritten Healing Word to be a placebo that only grants cosmetic healing when the description says otherwise.

And you were talking arrant nonsense there too.
And yet you're still unable to refute that "nonsense," which is quite the referendum on your stance.
No you can't. Have you ever tried to use a broken arm? Have you ever tried to swing a polearm with one? Because in your world this gives no penalties.
Because in the world of D&D as it's written in the book, that gives no penalties, since D&D heroes are able to continue using a limb even when it's broken, since they're just that heroic. Don't judge them by your own limitations.
Regenerate is a solution to things like Sword of Sharpness and putting your hand in the Sphere of Annihilation that aren't represented by hit points.
Did you overlook that I explicitly referenced the sword of sharpness before? Because this is, what, the fifth or sixth time you're repeating something I already affirmed.
4e was pushed out before it was ready and is badly explained. I'm not fixing problems, I'm pointing out what the rules say but could have been more clearly expressed.
Leaving aside that "not clearly expressed" is a problem unto itself, there's also the fact that in some cases what they're trying to express isn't adequately represented by what the rules do. Again, there's nothing wrong with wanting to model a fatigue/stamina system in the game. But 4E botched the execution by trying to fold that into hit points, which already modeled injuries. It's not immune to critique in that regard just because you say "I can fix it."
I have never denied that hit points represented bruises and minor cuts. They just aren't more than that. The step forward is you finally understanding what is meant by cosmetic damage.
It's more correct to say that you're taking a step forward by realizing that hit point loss does model injury (even if you're backtracking from your "lifebar" comment by now saying that you "always" said it was injuries), but you're wrong in saying that it never represented anything besides that. A character taking fire damage does not have a cut or a bruise. A character reduced from full hit points to less than half due to falling damage or immersion in lava is not dealing with some minor injuries that are only slightly painful and not at all debilitating. They've taken serious wounds and are simply forcing themselves to keep going despite them.
You can't "play through the pain" for a broken leg. The damage is light.
Again, real people can't. Your D&D character is capable of jumping off a mile-high cliff and not only surviving, but carrying on a life-or-death battle immediately after they land, so they clearly can.
No it doesn't. This is what older editions did. 4e produced multiple metrics.
4E did not produce multiple metrics. Not in any way, shape, or form. It made hit points the sole metric for both injury and stamina, which was a poor decision in terms of modeling them both. Healing surges aren't the differentiation you wish they were.
It has both healing surges and daily powers. It did what you want.
No, it didn't. Healing surges are still using the same operation, which is hit point recovery, that's used by spells such as cure light wounds. If they had done something different, then it would be different, but they didn't.
This is pure projection. You are arguing against a straw version of 4e based on not understanding it.
Incorrect. You're defending a non-existent version of 4E based around your house rules, which is why you've so drastically rewritten how Healing Word works, as per your own description.
This pretends that the only purpose of a healing surge is to restore hit points. They can also be used to power powers, to power rituals, and taken away by both exhaustion and energy drain mechanics. The fact that healing surges can be lost to things sapping overall vitality (such as "a gruelling trek across hostile terrain") in addition to recovering from damage is explicitly called out on p76 of the DMG.
Which speaks not at all to their interaction with hit points being that they restore hit points, the same as other curative methods which are explicitly representative of recovering physical damage. Hence why they're not what you wish they were. The entire issue of healing surges is a distraction, because their interaction with the operations of gaining and losing hit points is no different in that regard (and no, how many hit points they restore at a time isn't a salient difference).
Once more this is entirely based on your having failed the cognitive load to understand 4e (which could have been easier with better writing) and deciding fifteen years after launch to open a long thread about your failure to understand 4e.
Again, your statement here is completely founded on your having rewritten how 4E works, and fifteen years later insisting that your house rules are how the game actually played. They aren't. Healing Word is not "a placebo effect" no matter how vehemently you insist that it is.
Except not the same way because the cost is different.
The cost being different does not change the operation that's performed under the game mechanics.
This is what is colloquially known as an ass-pull. Spending a healing surge is digging into endurance to keep going. It isn't wound recovery, but it is things like catching your breath. You are still weakened and tired
And this is what is colloquially known as nonsense. If you've just taken massive damage from a red dragon's breath weapon, catching your breath isn't going to give you back vitality such that you can survive the 8 hit points' of damage you take from the stab wound next round that would have killed you if not for the hp you just regained from that healing surge you spent due to the warlord's having used Inspiring Word.
And this sentence seems to assume that hit points are a genuine measurable thing and injuries work as in Order of the Stick, rather than that there are approximations involved.
"Assume that hit points are a genuine measureable thing"? Because you can't measure the total of subtracting X damage from a current point total of Y? How does that make sense?

The Healing Word does work on them. The light still washes over the target. They're just exhausted and drained and have no more to give. A simple pick-me-up isn't going to do it any more. Why does a pizza party feel good when people are already OK but do nothing for people who are demoralised?
"You whisper a brief prayer as divine light washes over your target, helping to mend its wounds." That's what Healing Word does. There's no aspect of "exhausted" or "drained" there; it's using divine power to mend wounds. Which apparently won't work if the target is feeling depressed. That's less a cognitive gap than a cognitive Grand Canyon.
I am discussing what is in the 4e rules. You however are only interested in engaging in your own version of them. And I can say that your version of the 4e rules suck.
The person who thinks that Healing Word is all about the target's state of mind has no right to lecture other people on what 4E actually says. Literally, you just presented your own house rules as if they were what's in the books, and then lectured someone else about what's in the books. Unbelievable.
I'm baffled you think it can.
I suspect that a lot about how 4E works baffles you.
And that all physical injury so represented was largely cosmetic. Minor cuts and bruises.
Except for the parts that aren't, which are considerable.
I've never used 1e psionics in anger. The 3.5 one certainly can do Charisma damage via Ego Whip (Id Insinuation doing confusion). And Cure Light Wounds can't cure that.
Which is indicative of the 3.5 version altering the nature of the power, keeping it entirely in the realm of mental effects, unlike the 1E one. It was a fairly apt change in that regard.
That stat point damage went.
That stat point damage went...where?
What do you think causes the placebo effect? The divine light has trivial direct healing - but it does have enough to help.
So Healing Word is causing "trivial" actual healing...does "trivial" mean that there's no hit point effect whatsoever, and that's why it doesn't work under the game rules? Because if so, that's emblematic of you having to ignore the written text to make the in-character representation match the mechanics, i.e. bridging the cognitive gap.
There is healing magic in there. Just not very much of it. Just enough that the target can feel it.
And where does the flavor text say that it's only doing a little actual healing and is mostly a placebo? What part of that "actual healing" is represented in the game's operations?
Do you actually know what the placebo effect is?
Do you know where it says that in the power description for Healing Word? Go ahead and quote it, if you can.
And when a burn and a light cut are healed at the same time by the same cure light wounds spell two different things are happening. Your argument that an action can only do one thing at a time is sheer nonsense.
It's not two different things, it's one thing: healing injury. That it can heal multiple different types of injury is self-evident if you actually read the description instead of making things up like "it's a placebo." Restricting it to healing different kinds of injuries is much easier to create a coherent game than having it be "it heals all sorts of injuries AND it makes you feel better about yourself!"
No. I am suggesting that a small but non-zero amount of physical damage is healed - in specific at low level 1d6+Wis (with the Wis bonus coming from Healer's Lore) and it uses the target's energy to do this so can't work on the utterly exhausted. But I am suggesting that it feels much greater than that; the target is still injured to the point of having spent a recovery which will need to be recovered normally.
Which, again, would have been fairly good if those two things hadn't been operating on the same pool of points, which 4E wants to represent different things at once. But if you've taken massive burns from falling into lava, or fallen off a mile-high cliff, etc. then recovering only a small point of physical damage and a lot of personal resilience isn't going to bridge the cognitive gap if you then immediately take another source of hit point loss that's mostly damage instead of being something depressing, since your stats then say you're not dying (i.e. above 0 hit points) and yet your "wound recovery hp" is depleted, even though you have plenty of "resilience hp" left.
That you think that only one thing can happen at a time?
When there's one mechanic, it helps if it doesn't represent two different things.
I am suggesting that they don't directly recover injuries. If you have full hit points but few healing surges you are not fully recovered.
"Recovered," in this sentence, is a confusing mixture of how wounded you are and what your state of mind is. Having hit points represent both doesn't help, and that problem gets worse if you've expended healing surges for a non-recovery mechanic, and then have to explain why when you're injured you're suddenly healing less because you feel depressed about having performed those rituals.
Which is still more realistic and interesting than being just fine and unimpeded and then taking 2hp and being on a one way track to death without magical help.
Notice that you're once again talking about "realistic" in a D&D game, which has never been intended to showcase realistic limits for what characters can do.
Let's take an actual real world magic-free example of hit points and healing surges in action. And show why the healing surge model works and the pure hit point model doesn't in the real world. Two boxers having a boxing match.
Oh here we go. Yes, let's once again assume that the game where your character can potentially challenge gods to a fight and win should absolutely be working to model something realistic, rather than an action movie-style fantasy. Because that's not something I already explained to you earlier.
Under the pre-4e model they throw the same attacks over and over, basically unchanging. Breaking between rounds does literally nothing. They start the next round at the exact same pace they ended the old one with exactly the same remaining hit point total and using exactly the same attacks. And when one character goes down to below 0hp they are either fine or out of it. I mean sure? That resolves the fight but not like any real boxing match I've seen, let alone a good one. It's boring and it's unrealistic. And the only way to have less than a ten count is for the attack to hit exactly 0hp.

Meanwhile under the 4e model the three minute break between rounds is being modelled as a short rest. (OK, that technically takes five in 4e). A boxer who was swaying on his feet at the end of one round can spend their healing surges so that they will be able to take more the next because endurance matters. And they will come out at the start of the round with encounter (but not daily) powers refreshed. A boxer who is knocked to the mat can have their coach (or their girlfriend) yell at them to get back on their feet and be inspired by that to stand up as they are being counted out. Inspiration matters on helping them to dig deep. So you can have the back and forth, and three counts and six counts rather than just a ten count without resorting to magic. Combine this with some tactics like baiting out the daily and we have at least a viable representation of a boxing match.

See the boxers.
No, don't see the boxers. The boxers example is entirely built on faulty premises in support of a level of design that D&D was never intended to utilize. The boxers make a case for why hit points under any paradigm don't work to model reality, in a game that doesn't even try to model reality. It's a fantasy game because it presents an amalgamation of fantasy genres, and people who want hit locations, wound tracking, exhaustion mechanics, and "death spirals" in terms of personal ability deteriorating when you take wounds should be playing something else! If you want to inject those into the story on your own terms, that's fine, but trying to contort the hit point system into representing that many disparate things is a recipe for disappointment, which explains why you've had to introduce "placebo" effects into abilities that don't mention anything like that.
Except it does say what it does. Creates light that does a little bit of healing. Nothing I have said is incompatible with this.
You think that just because you're not flat-out contradicting the entirety of what the power description says, that means that you're not making something up that changes what it represents? Nothing in the Healing Word description says or even implies that it's a "placebo." That one's entirely yours.
View attachment 341978
Above is an image from the video game Doom. As you can see as his HP (or "health") gets lower he gets more cosmetically injured. But this doesn't slow him, just bringing him nearer to death. This is how hit points work. And they do tell something. They tell how long until the game over. This is what pre-4e hit points do.
Yes, because he's taking serious (not just cosmetic) injuries. I don't know how you overlooked that the screenshot above is only showing his face and not his whole body, but that's not the support for your argument you seem to think it is.
My irony meter just exploded.
That's because it wasn't calibrated properly to begin with.
No. I work with the game as it actually works because it supports good storytelling. This takes no reflavouring.
Says the guy who's added the placebo effect to Healing Word. Again, if you can fix things and don't mind doing so, that's good for you. But that doesn't change the critical analysis of what's actually in the books.
What 4e fighters can't do is fight at full strength indefinitely. They have a limited number of encounter and daily powers.
So them not being able to use their encounter and daily powers without limit means that they've lost strength? Because that loss of strength seems to be reflected almost nowhere else in their combat prowess. A 4E fighter can still use their daily powers without limit, and even their encounter powers reset after five minutes (because reasons), so where does it become more "realistic" (to use the term you keep reintroducing) that they're too tired to perform their daily power again, but can us their other powers indefinitely?
And yet the DMG p76 is explicit that "a gruelling trek across hostile terrain"
Explicit in saying that healing surges can "sometimes" be the cost for failing a skill check, is what I think you're trying to say. So when the characters make a "gruelling trek" that's somehow the result of a failed check, that means that they're demoralized to the point of losing a healing surge. Okay, great. Except then that sidebar says that "other times" it can be shorthand for taking damage, i.e. that there are times you lose a healing surge that are taking damage, and times that aren't. Note the cognitive gap here, as the same operation is two different things: damage and non-damage.

And there is zero problem with having a mechanic that tracks multiple related things. The "cognitive gap" you are talking about is a lack not in the 4e rules but inside your head and your mental model of them.
Again, it's not a problem for you because you don't seem to mind the extra workload that's a result of the game offloading more of the work that comes with figuring out what its rules are representative of. But just because you're fine with that extra cognitive burden doesn't mean we can't critically analyze it, despite fans rushing up to say "no, you can't be critical of the game I love!"

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Regenerate is a particularly interesting case. In AD&D the regenerate spell healed zero hp, it just heals physically severed limbs. No hp restoring spell did that.
Sure, the 3E version changed the nature of the operation, just like they did with psionic powers that used to deal physical damage (i.e. hit points) to dealing damage to the character's psyche (i.e. ability damage to mental ability scores).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It's actually not a loss of prowess due to direct injury, but 4e characters definitely tire. There are only a limited number of times you can dig deep and encounter/daily power or action surge or second wind (in 5e) so by the time you've been through hell you won't have the same resources you started the day with - and the two correlate as when you need to dig deep you dig deep. It's not perfect but is at least an approximation even if it could be better.

Meanwhile (with a couple of prestige class exceptions) pre-4e fighters feel to me like almost untiring robots, unaffected by what they have been doing.
This is why I favor the fatigue and strife rules in Level Up (a more detailed replacement for exhaustion).

Of course, I also make use of injury rules, because the inability for D&D characters to get injured really bugs me.

This is your own presumption, which is reflected nowhere in the actual operations of the game. Someone being hit with a red dragon's breath weapon for over a hundred hit points of damage and surviving because they have two hundred hit points has not taken "cosmetic level" injuries. They've taken serious, massive injuries that they're nevertheless gritting their teeth and pushing through, showcasing action movie-levels of toughness.
This is your own presumption, which is reflected nowhere in the actual operation of the game. Someone being hit with a red dragon's breath weapon for over a hundred hit points and surviving because they have two hundred isn't just surviving. They are completely peachy. They are precisely as able to do literally anything as they would be without that damage. They aren't "pushing through" so much as they are almost completely mechanically unaffected.

And it is positively ridiculous and anti-thematic to claim that someone is not only "pushing through" but they are "pushing through" effortlessly. As they are; there is no actual question as to whether they succeed in pushing through and no cost in your house rules.
The very idea that something like that is no more than "paper cut" level of injury isn't something that the game tells us; quite the opposite, really.
Indeed. I see all those penalties. Oh wait...
Which entirely validates what I said about that spell and others like it curing the physical injuries that hit point loss represents, hence why they all restore hit point damage;
I'm going to assume either you or @Voadam has the other one Ignored. Because as he has mentioned Regenerate did not cure hit point damage in either 1e or 2e. It had a component of hit point recovery added in 3.0 and strengthened in 3.5 (in 3.0 it was only as strong as CLW).

So to recap the spell that regrew limbs and fixed broken bones before 3.0 did not heal a single hit point of damage. Injuries are entirely independent of hp loss in AD&D - and the fact that it also cures cosmetic damage in 3.x doesn't support your case. It is however utterly devastating to your case that hp are injuries that regenerate doesn't do anything to fix hp in older editions.
Yeah, heal is a spell that cures physical damage as well as conditions that cause non-hit point related debuffs. Now, you seem to be implying that this means that no other spell which restores hit points also cures wounds...leaving aside the fact that they spell name flat-out says that they do, even if you ignore their description. For instance, cure light wounds flat-out says:

When laying your hand upon a living creature, you channel positive energy that cures 1d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +5).
Since undead are powered by negative energy, this spell deals damage to them instead of curing their wounds. An undead creature can apply spell resistance, and can attempt a Will save to take half damage.No.
I am saying a papercut is a wound. It's a largely cosmetic one. And it's that sort of light wound that Cure Light Wounds cures. Shallow cuts and minor bruises. Enough to make someone look roughed up but not enough to make them take any actual penalties.
Regenerate will bring back a lost limb, but if you think there's no middle ground between a lost limb and a paper cut, well, that one's on you.
I think a broken arm is a middle ground. And Regenerate will explicitly fix that - while Cure Light Wounds won't because that goes beyond hp damage.
So in other words, you don't think that there's any informative aspect to the names of the spells,
And this is yet another strawman. There is some information. Regenerate does regenerate. Cure Light Wounds does cure light wounds. But it's like product names. Bigby's Gesticulating Fist doesn't create Bigby's literal fist. Cure Serious Wounds is a bigger version of Pure Light Wounds.
and are looking at the effects purely in terms of hit points being a "lifebar" that measure nothing except the occasional bit of cosmetic damage.
3.X is massively loaded with modifiers. If hit points were any more than a lifebar then there would be modifiers there.
That's entirely your presumption here, and not at all what the game actually spells out. Which certainly explains why you've flat-out rewritten Healing Word to be a placebo that only grants cosmetic healing when the description says otherwise.
Except I haven't.
And yet you're still unable to refute that "nonsense," which is quite the referendum on your stance.
Debunking your arrant nonsense about 4e serves a point. The zombie myths you are spouting about 4e and healing are, regrettably, endemic in the community. However your attempt to redefine hit points are just clearly wrong so there's no point.
Because in the world of D&D as it's written in the book, that gives no penalties, since D&D heroes are able to continue using a limb even when it's broken, since they're just that heroic. Don't judge them by your own limitations.
LOL.
Leaving aside that "not clearly expressed" is a problem unto itself, there's also the fact that in some cases what they're trying to express isn't adequately represented by what the rules do. Again, there's nothing wrong with wanting to model a fatigue/stamina system in the game. But 4E botched the execution by trying to fold that into hit points, which already modeled injuries. It's not immune to critique in that regard just because you say "I can fix it."
Except that as we've gone into (a) hit points do not and have never modelled injuries. You need something like the Sword of Sharpness to inflict a non-lethal non-cosmetic injury and (b) people who are exhausted are less able to keep going or even recover.
It's more correct to say that you're taking a step forward by realizing that hit point loss does model injury (even if you're backtracking from your "lifebar" comment by now saying that you "always" said it was injuries),
OK. Now you're just misrepresenting things. Possibly because you seem to think that every rule and every system in nature should only have one purpose.
but you're wrong in saying that it never represented anything besides that. A character taking fire damage does not have a cut or a bruise.
No. They have cosmetic fire damage. Lightly scorched and possibly some burning hair or missing eyebrows.
A character reduced from full hit points to less than half due to falling damage or immersion in lava is not dealing with some minor injuries that are only slightly painful and not at all debilitating.
The rules say otherwise.
They've taken serious wounds and are simply forcing themselves to keep going despite them.
If they had they would be taking penalties.
Again, real people can't. Your D&D character is capable of jumping off a mile-high cliff and not only surviving, but carrying on a life-or-death battle immediately after they land, so they clearly can.
Indeed. They can do so without even twisting or spraining their ankle. The only effect that the damage has is cosmetic and as a video game life bar.
4E did not produce multiple metrics. Not in any way, shape, or form. It made hit points the sole metric for both injury and stamina, which was a poor decision in terms of modeling them both. Healing surges aren't the differentiation you wish they were.
Except you are simply, objectively wrong here.
No, it didn't. Healing surges are still using the same operation, which is hit point recovery, that's used by spells such as cure light wounds. If they had done something different, then it would be different, but they didn't.
Except healing surges are a measure of character stamina.
Incorrect. You're defending a non-existent version of 4E based around your house rules, which is why you've so drastically rewritten how Healing Word works, as per your own description.
Except I haven't. I am running Healing Word by the book. And have quoted what it says.
Which speaks not at all to their interaction with hit points being that they restore hit points, the same as other curative methods which are explicitly representative of recovering physical damage.
Let me know when there's physical damage involved.

As we have gone through hit points are not physical damage. And it is possible to recover hit points without recovering physical damage and vise-versa. You are houseruling D&D then because 4e doesn't follow your house rules you are claiming it is done wrong.
And this is what is colloquially known as nonsense. If you've just taken massive damage from a red dragon's breath weapon, catching your breath isn't going to give you back vitality such that you can survive the 8 hit points' of damage you take from the stab wound next round that would have killed you if not for the hp you just regained from that healing surge you spent due to the warlord's having used Inspiring Word.
Again hit points are not and have never been damage. If you've just taken massive damage from a red dragon's breath weapon there is no "pushing through". You are suffering massive burns and can barely move

And if you are going to violate physics with an augur drill the way you are by saying "D&D characters can" then your objection on the grounds of plausibility here is utterly nonsensical.
"Assume that hit points are a genuine measureable thing"? Because you can't measure the total of subtracting X damage from a current point total of Y? How does that make sense?
Hitpoints aren't something that can be measured in universe.

Anyway this feels like I'm trying to play chess with a pigeon.

Goodbye

Voadam

Legend
Sure, the 3E version changed the nature of the operation, just like they did with psionic powers that used to deal physical damage (i.e. hit points) to dealing damage to the character's psyche (i.e. ability damage to mental ability scores).
3e changed it by adding on a separate little bit of hp healing in addition to the regrowing severed limbs power.

Regenerate
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 7, Healing 7
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 3 full rounds
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates(harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The subject’s severed body members, broken bones, and ruined organs grow back. After the spell is cast, the physical regeneration is complete in 1 round if the severed members are present and touching the creature. It takes 2d10 rounds otherwise. Regenerate also cures 1d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (up to +20).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
This is your own presumption, which is reflected nowhere in the actual operation of the game. Someone being hit with a red dragon's breath weapon for over a hundred hit points and surviving because they have two hundred isn't just surviving. They are completely peachy. They are precisely as able to do literally anything as they would be without that damage. They aren't "pushing through" so much as they are almost completely mechanically unaffected.
Which is the game telling us that A) they're injured, and B) that they can still take action. It's not that hard to draw a line from one to the other and say that they're playing through the pain. Or at least, that's the most obvious explanation, since "it's just a bruise!" doesn't logically follow, nor does "they just feel kind of demoralized," let alone "hit points are a lifebar that represent nothing!"
And it is positively ridiculous and anti-thematic to claim that someone is not only "pushing through" but they are "pushing through" effortlessly. As they are; there is no actual question as to whether they succeed in pushing through and no cost in your house rules.
So your house rules are that a character taking a hundred points of fire damage are...what? Demoralized? Bruised? Or nothing at all happens? Because at different times you've floated all of those ideas, without ever committing to any of them, and they all represent a much wider cognitive gap (which is why they're just your house rules, and not what the game rules say).
Indeed. I see all those penalties. Oh wait...
Because you assume that D&D characters are exactly like real-world people and take penalties when they're injured. At some point I'd like to hope that you realize you're playing a game about heroes and not ordinary people.
I'm going to assume either you or @Voadam has the other one Ignored. Because as he has mentioned Regenerate did not cure hit point damage in either 1e or 2e. It had a component of hit point recovery added in 3.0 and strengthened in 3.5 (in 3.0 it was only as strong as CLW).
Let's leave aside the fact that I already replied to Voadam; that regenerate didn't cure hit point damage in AD&D proves...what, exactly? Because it's explicitly stating that it recovers bodily damage in the form of restoring lost limbs. That it didn't restore hit points was an issue of it having a cognitive gap, which 3E fixed. Presumably you're bringing this up because you think it strengthens your point, but I don't think you've thought it through in that regard.
So to recap the spell that regrew limbs and fixed broken bones before 3.0 did not heal a single hit point of damage.
Falling into the cognitive gap, which 3E later bridged by folding in hit point restoration into the spell. 4E isn't alone in having gaps, just that it widened a lot of them.
Injuries are entirely independent of hp loss in AD&D
They're really not, unless you think that fire doesn't burn...though given your answers above, you seem to actually think that, so I can understand why you don't find that convincing.
- and the fact that it also cures cosmetic damage in 3.x doesn't support your case. It is however utterly devastating to your case that hp are injuries that regenerate doesn't do anything to fix hp in older editions.
Not so much, no. Given that you can't seem to decide if hit points are injury, or resilience, or nothing at all, you don't really seem to have any sort of case to make here at all, whereas mine is still unbroken. Which does explain why you're avoiding the subject of the debate rather than engaging with it, now that I think about it.
I am saying a papercut is a wound. It's a largely cosmetic one.
Which are apparently the only ones you think D&D characters can take. Good news for people being pushed into lava, I guess!
And it's that sort of light wound that Cure Light Wounds cures. Shallow cuts and minor bruises. Enough to make someone look roughed up but not enough to make them take any actual penalties.
Well, there are no other spells that cure anything other than "light" wounds. Oh wait.
I think a broken arm is a middle ground. And Regenerate will explicitly fix that - while Cure Light Wounds won't because that goes beyond hp damage.
So by your house rules, the fact that there's no cure serious burns spell means that no one is ever burned. That's an...interesting twist on the game. Not one that's in the rules, but certainly interesting.
And this is yet another strawman. There is some information. Regenerate does regenerate. Cure Light Wounds does cure light wounds. But it's like product names. Bigby's Gesticulating Fist doesn't create Bigby's literal fist. Cure Serious Wounds is a bigger version of Pure Light Wounds.
And again, this line of "logic" means that nothing cures electrical damage, acid damage, severe cold, etc.
3.X is massively loaded with modifiers. If hit points were any more than a lifebar then there would be modifiers there.
Ah, so now we're back to the "lifebar" argument, are we? You've been cycling between that, "just a scratch," and "resilience" for a little while now. Having hit points be three different things at once is one heck of a change to make from what's in the books!
Except I haven't.
Other than all the times you have, sure.
Debunking your arrant nonsense about 4e serves a point.
More importantly, pointing out that your "debunking" is just your house rules serves a purpose.
The zombie myths you are spouting about 4e and healing are, regrettably, endemic in the community.
"Everyone else is wrong, 4E has no real flaws" is the largest zombie myth out there. It's notable that every time someone tries to critically analyze the ways 4E fell short of its design goals, there's a small cadre of posters who come in spewing all sorts of nonsense about "that's a strawman!" and "you just didn't understand it!" and "that's not a problem because we can fix it!" Literally every single time.
However your attempt to redefine hit points are just clearly wrong so there's no point.
Except for how, much to your inconvenience, my take on it matches what's in the books, unlike your own. And if you don't believe me, quote where Healing Word says that it's a "placebo effect."
ROFLMAO!
Except that as we've gone into (a) hit points do not and have never modelled injuries. You need something like the Sword of Sharpness to inflict a non-lethal non-cosmetic injury and (b) people who are exhausted are less able to keep going or even recover.
The only problem with this idea is that hit points represent injuries, rather than modeling them. No, they don't track hit wounds or locations; that doesn't mean you're not being hit.
OK. Now you're just misrepresenting things. Possibly because you seem to think that every rule and every system in nature should only have one purpose.
Calling you out on your contradiction is not misrepresenting your shifting positions. Having the same mechanical operation represent different things widens the cognitive gap, and 4E fell into that trap with its well-intentioned but tragically misguided attempt to have hit points be stamina and injury, showing why that's a bad idea.
No. They have cosmetic fire damage. Lightly scorched and possibly some burning hair or missing eyebrows.
Ah, right, so the amount of hit point damage being dealt means nothing, then. 1 or 100 points of damage tells us exactly the same thing is happening from an in-character perpsective. Being hit by a red dragon's breath and failing your saving throw is exactly the same as burning your thumb on a candle!
The rules say otherwise.
Really? Quote them on that.
If they had they would be taking penalties.
Except they clearly did fall into lava, and aren't taking penalties. Or are you saying that full immersion in lava only results in signed eyebrows and being "lightly scorched"?
Indeed. They can do so without even twisting or spraining their ankle. The only effect that the damage has is cosmetic and as a video game life bar.
So your game world has characters never being damaged no matter what happens to them, and the rules tell us almost nothing about the state of the in-game scenario. That's one heck of a twist on what's written in the books.
Except you are simply, objectively wrong here.
Except I'm not, whereas you've flat-out contradicted the text on the page.
Except healing surges are a measure of character stamina.
Except for where the book says they're not.
Except I haven't. I am running Healing Word by the book. And have quoted what it says.
"By the book" says the guy who adds in a placebo effect.
Let me know when there's physical damage involved.
The game already does that, if you'd but read what's there.
As we have gone through hit points are not physical damage.
Except that you've already admitted they are. Sure, you said "cosmetic," but you still granted the central premse.
And it is possible to recover hit points without recovering physical damage and vise-versa.
Hence 4E's widening of the cognitive gap.
You are houseruling D&D then because 4e doesn't follow your house rules you are claiming it is done wrong.
You've added houserules and personal interpretations to the point of openly rewriting what Healing Word does, so it's kind of ironic that you'd say this.
Again hit points are not and have never been damage.
Right, so the fact that they call losing hit points "taking damage" so often is meaningless? Because that's kind of a hard point to make with a straight face.
If you've just taken massive damage from a red dragon's breath weapon there is no "pushing through". You are suffering massive burns and can barely move
Except you can still move, as per what the game rules tell us. If you've eliminated the impossible, then whatever's left, no matter how improbable, is the truth.
And if you are going to violate physics with an augur drill the way you are by saying "D&D characters can" then your objection on the grounds of plausibility here is utterly nonsensical.
You've already been told that D&D isn't the real world. Stop holding fidelity to reality as the highest virtue.
Hitpoints aren't something that can be measured in universe.
So they represent nothing? That's the widest possible interpretation of the cognitive gap.
Anyway this feels like I'm trying to play chess with a pigeon.
Says the squirrel.
See ya!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
3e changed it by adding on a separate little bit of hp healing in addition to the regrowing severed limbs power.
And in doing so, narrowed the cognitive gap that was present, since it was clearly repairing physical damage but curiously had no hit point restoration.

Now, that was because the earlier iterations of the game treated a lost limb like a debuff rather than damage, which was a head-scratcher that the 3E iteration fixed.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads