• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) bring back the pig faced orcs for 6th edition, change up hobgoblins & is there a history of the design change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Not sure exactly sure when orcs were changed but I argue they should be changed back

why?
1) orcs have been becoming more and more human like and its made them less interesting plus like drow they are a future problem for an everchanging society
2) if not maybe a variant
3) the orc name is from "pig faced"

hobgoblin
1) hobgoblins need something . Over the years kobolds, gnolls, bugbears and even goblins have become more interesting. Kobolds became inventors and the design has greatly improved. Same with gnolls. hobgoblins have been dulled down (they are the military/armored slightly stronger goblin) and often get sort of lumped in with orcs (theres nothing that really jumps out about a hobgoblin)
2) I think they need a change-Maybe they are cannibals, maybe they have a unique spell/ability , give them a distinct appearance (I would make them more like the falmer of elder scrolls-scary)
The pictures are drawn poorly, but this is the description of 5e orcs, "Orcs are savage raiders and pillagers with stooped postures, low foreheads, and piggish faces with prominent lower canines that resemble tusks."

That fits the 1e pictures perfectly. It's the 5e pictures that have the disconnect, not the orcs themselves.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
because they were made that way. But I use them as an allegory for barbarians at the gates of civilization envious of their accomplishments and even if they win they will not have what the people they conquered had because they don’t have the knowledge to maintain such a civilization or city.
I used most races like they were used in fairy tales.. as allegory. There is no Darwin or genetics. Animals talk. Unicorns are in forests.
that is not how barbarians often worked, it only happened that way to rome for far more complex reasons mostly local economics and other things.

because they were made that way. But I use them as an allegory for barbarians at the gates of civilization envious of their accomplishments and even if they win they will not have what the people they conquered had because they don’t have the knowledge to maintain such a civilization or city.
I used most races like they were used in fairy tales.. as allegory. There is no Darwin or genetics. Animals talk. Unicorns are in forests.
Right. So you use always evil monsters as an allegory for (your misguided idea) of real 'uncivilised' humans. Thank you for demonstrating the racism involved in practice, should be plain to see to anyone.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That’s an inherently racist allegory, though. You can tell fairy stories without using racist allegories. Or allegories at all. (See; Tolkien)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Right. So you use always evil monsters as an allegory for (your misguided idea) of real 'uncivilised' humans. Thank you for demonstrating the racism involved in practice, should be plain to see to anyone.
Uncivilized humans existed among all races. Which race is he using over any of the others?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
If you take your arguments to the ultimate conclusion, they might as well not print anything at all. Something somewhere will strike a cord with someone about some horrific event in their life.

When you split hairs, your arguments become razor thin and so circumstantial you'll be paralyzed with bringing up something that hits home to someone or some group. Or the simple act of describing something is spot on to something that actually happened.

rabbit hole ... long and winding rabbit hole.

I spy... the slippery slope fallacy!

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
This is completely make believe. They are the allegory of envy laziness and sloth.
true they are not real but why should they conform to your belief instead of some else's?

also, they are really bad as ideas of envy and laziness is covered by sloth.
finally sacking cities is not an activity for the lazy it take great effort and planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads