• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) bring back the pig faced orcs for 6th edition, change up hobgoblins & is there a history of the design change

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you’re looking for monster you can create anything and add the Fiend tag.
From now in 2021 the humanoid tag seem to be restricted to sentient, free will folks.
For all other bizarre case we got Fiend, Fey, monstrosity, aberration, to tag some bipedal agressive, cannibal, sadist folks.

Oofta

Legend
If you’re looking for monster you can create anything and add the Fiend tag.
From now in 2021 the humanoid tag seem to be restricted to sentient, free will folks.
For all other bizarre case we got Fiend, Fey, monstrosity, aberration, to tag some bipedal agressive, cannibal, sadist folks.

I just get tired of the idea that only fiends can be evil. :( I think it should be a campaign level decision with emphasis on alignments are just defaults that can and should be tweaked to fit. On the other hand, orcs in my world do effectively have fiendish origin in that they come from Jotunheim which is the realm of giants, evil gods and, in my campaign, fiends.

I just get tired of the idea that only fiends can be evil. :( I think it should be a campaign level decision with emphasis on alignments are just defaults that can and should be tweaked to fit. On the other hand, orcs in my world do effectively have fiendish origin in that they come from Jotunheim which is the realm of giants, evil gods and, in my campaign, fiends.
Anyone can be evil. It's just that you can no longer tell who is evil by looking at their skin colour.

These new standard are only for official product, at your table you can do anything you want.

Oofta

Legend
Anyone can be evil. It's just that you can no longer tell who is evil by looking at their skin colour.

I'm not getting into this other than to say that skin color will never be a factor in whether a creature is evil. I get tired of that argument, but it's pointless to get into the discussion on this forum.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Just a mention, the elves in Hellboy 2 are just elves, not dark elves.

Also a mention, the adjective "elfin": (of a person or their face) small and delicate, typically with a mischievous charm, is a lot older than D&D/Tolkien, going back to 1590 (Spencer's Faerie Queen). The point being, even without D&D, the common idea of elves is kind of "white" in terms of facial features.
(Common in white-dominated European culture and cultures descended from that)
I'm not getting into this other than to say that skin color will never be a factor in whether a creature is evil. I get tired of that argument, but it's pointless to get into the discussion on this forum.
I think you're saying the same thing here.

Oofta

Legend
(Common in white-dominated European culture and cultures descended from that)

I think you're saying the same thing here.
Yes and no. For some people, some games, it's okay for Nazis to be evil because the Nazi regime was evil. It ignores that soldiers in the Nazi army were there for a whole host of reasons. Same with storm troopers for that matter.

Yet, in a game that revolves around combat whether or not combat is central to any specific campaign there are typically going to be a group of bad people that you don't have to feel too bad about killing. I don't think it's better to make those bad guys the soldiers who happen to be wearing the wrong uniform versus being creatures from the Abyss.

If you want that kind of moral questioning, go for it. For a lot of people, we just want to escape from the messiness of the real world for a while and pretend to be in a world where we know what right and wrong is. Because in the real world? Too often there is no good answer.

EDIT: see D&D 6E - bring back the pig faced orcs for 6th edition, change up hobgoblins & is there a history of the design change for more clarification on what I was trying to say.

Last edited:

Yes and no. For some people, some games, it's okay for Nazis to be evil because the Nazi regime was evil. It ignores that soldiers in the Nazi army were there for a whole host of reasons. Same with storm troopers for that matter.
Hello.
1617976629054.png

Yet, in a game that revolves around combat whether or not combat is central to any specific campaign there are typically going to be a group of bad people that you don't have to feel too bad about killing. I don't think it's better to make those bad guys the soldiers who happen to be wearing the wrong uniform versus being creatures from the Abyss./
I do think it's better. My players think it's better. They enjoy discussing the morality of their actions, and if they are actually the good guys or not. And it's exactly why "creatures from the Abyss" are boring opponents.

Here is how I tell a hero from a villain. A hero is constantly asking themselves "am I doing the right thing?" A villain doesn't. A villain knows they are doing the right thing.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads