D&D 5E Bring D&D Immortals to 5e

MPA2000

Explorer
Okay before this gets moved to a different thread, I think this stands alone because I am referring to the new Immortal rules, not the old BECMI rules referred to on this website. In addition some of the threads refer to Highlander type Immortals.

The Immortal set I am referring to from here forward were the revised rules by Aaron Allston.

I have read over the 5e rules, spells and character classes, and I just don't see anyway to convert the Immortals over, and still keep their uniqueness. They would just be another group of Celestials. If that is the term they are going to use for gods in 5e. Since the only god currently with stats is Tiamat and they call her a "Gargantuan Fiend".

Luckily system does mention Mystara as one of many worlds that exist in the Multiverse, along with Greyhawk etc. There is a "Conversion to 5th Edition" publication to bring BECM characters over to 5e. Level-wise it is simple, just bring them over but max Level that come over is 20 (page 1). Sorry to your 28th level MU. After that it is just a matter of adhering the equipment and abilities of 5e.

But the Immortals should not be converted directly over unless they keep their basic powers and abilities. While Immortals have levels, they are actually HD driven like monsters. So we can bring them over at their current HD (pg 3) and then make some minor conversions to ability scores (30 max) attack rolls, armor class etc. (pg4). Basic monsters aren't much different statwise than their AD&D counterparts.

So let's dabble and see how this could work with how an Initiate Immortal (the lowest) who just ascended an Immortal, looks like in 5e.

BASIC5e
Alignment (any) Alignment (any)
15 HD15HD
Power Points 300Power Points ?
AC 0 AC 19 (i.e. 19-0)
HP 75HP 75
No. Attacks 2No. Attacks 2
Damage/attack 2d6Damage/attack 2d6
Attack Mod (varies by weapon/strengthAttack Mod +9 (HD/2 +2) No higher than +12
Saving Throw (varies by attack)DC 15 (8+ HD/2) No higher than 20

Power is what Immortals use to cast spell effects at will any number of times a day.
An Immortals natural unarmed attacks are equivalent to +5 magical items (+4 in Fifth Edition).

So that solves the stat part. Now for the powers and abilities.

BASIC5e
Anti-Magic 50%Anti-Magic 50%
Immune to Mortal Magic Immune to Mortal Magic
Only hit by +5 Mortal weaponsOnly hit by +4 Mortal weapons
Takes Minimum damage from mortalsMinimum damage from mortals
Artifacts do normal damageImmortal/god made Artifacts/legendary items do normal damage
Can use any spell of any spell caster classCan use any Cantric or spell of any spell caster class, school etc.
Aura power (fear, charm, paralyze effect)Aura power (fear, charm, paralyze effect)

Immortals have constant AM field around them doesn't affect their own magic items or spells. The % is for success.
Immortals cannot be harmed by any magic of mortal origin (spells, items, dragons breath etc.).
+3 is the highest magical weapon, but some legendary weapons can be as high as +4.
Mortals can only hit an Immortal with a +4 weapon, and then only does the minimum die of damage.
Artifacts/Legendary weapons created by Immortals/gods can only affect an Immortal

Immortals aura affects only mortals to a number equal to their Wisdom bonus. No bonuses to their saving throws

Other things to consider: Immortals can spend Power Points (PP) for permanent or temporary effect. So they can create any magical item or artifact/legendary item. They change forms to an non-corporeal form that is immune to magic attacks from anything god or otherwise, but subject to Power attacks from other Immortals. Immortals can also create mortal identities so they can roam the Prime Plane unnoticed. They can be any race, class or level the Immortal desires. Mortals have -4 on any save against an Immortal magic. Not sure how that would translate to 5e.

Immortals also have their own spells, like gods, something only they spells that they know, such as Reduce Saving throw. The immortal can spend PP to reduce a mortal's saving throw versus any of his spells equal to 2 PP per -1 reduction. Not sure how that would work in 5e.

I will revisit the rules and do so further tinkering.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Okay before this gets moved to a different thread, I think this stands alone because I am referring to the new Immortal rules, not the old BECMI rules referred to on this website. In addition some of the threads refer to Highlander type Immortals.

The Immortal set I am referring to from here forward were the revised rules by Aaron Allston.

I have read over the 5e rules, spells and character classes, and I just don't see anyway to convert the Immortals over, and still keep their uniqueness. They would just be another group of Celestials. If that is the term they are going to use for gods in 5e. Since the only god currently with stats is Tiamat and they call her a "Gargantuan Fiend".

Luckily system does mention Mystara as one of many worlds that exist in the Multiverse, along with Greyhawk etc. There is a "Conversion to 5th Edition" publication to bring BECM characters over to 5e. Level-wise it is simple, just bring them over but max Level that come over is 20 (page 1). Sorry to your 28th level MU. After that it is just a matter of adhering the equipment and abilities of 5e.

But the Immortals should not be converted directly over unless they keep their basic powers and abilities. While Immortals have levels, they are actually HD driven like monsters. So we can bring them over at their current HD (pg 3) and then make some minor conversions to ability scores (30 max) attack rolls, armor class etc. (pg4). Basic monsters aren't much different statwise than their AD&D counterparts.

So let's dabble and see how this could work with how an Initiate Immortal (the lowest) who just ascended an Immortal, looks like in 5e.

BASIC5e
Alignment (any) Alignment (any)
15 HD15HD
Power Points 300Power Points ?
AC 0 AC 19 (i.e. 19-0)
HP 75HP 75
No. Attacks 2No. Attacks 2
Damage/attack 2d6Damage/attack 2d6
Attack Mod (varies by weapon/strengthAttack Mod +9 (HD/2 +2) No higher than +12
Saving Throw (varies by attack)DC 15 (8+ HD/2) No higher than 20

Power is what Immortals use to cast spell effects at will any number of times a day.
An Immortals natural unarmed attacks are equivalent to +5 magical items (+4 in Fifth Edition).

So that solves the stat part. Now for the powers and abilities.

BASIC5e
Anti-Magic 50%Anti-Magic 50%
Immune to Mortal Magic Immune to Mortal Magic
Only hit by +5 Mortal weaponsOnly hit by +4 Mortal weapons
Takes Minimum damage from mortalsMinimum damage from mortals
Artifacts do normal damageImmortal/god made Artifacts/legendary items do normal damage
Can use any spell of any spell caster classCan use any Cantric or spell of any spell caster class, school etc.
Aura power (fear, charm, paralyze effect)Aura power (fear, charm, paralyze effect)

Immortals have constant AM field around them doesn't affect their own magic items or spells. The % is for success.
Immortals cannot be harmed by any magic of mortal origin (spells, items, dragons breath etc.).
+3 is the highest magical weapon, but some legendary weapons can be as high as +4.
Mortals can only hit an Immortal with a +4 weapon, and then only does the minimum die of damage.
Artifacts/Legendary weapons created by Immortals/gods can only affect an Immortal

Immortals aura affects only mortals to a number equal to their Wisdom bonus. No bonuses to their saving throws

Other things to consider: Immortals can spend Power Points (PP) for permanent or temporary effect. So they can create any magical item or artifact/legendary item. They change forms to an non-corporeal form that is immune to magic attacks from anything god or otherwise, but subject to Power attacks from other Immortals. Immortals can also create mortal identities so they can roam the Prime Plane unnoticed. They can be any race, class or level the Immortal desires. Mortals have -4 on any save against an Immortal magic. Not sure how that would translate to 5e.

Immortals also have their own spells, like gods, something only they spells that they know, such as Reduce Saving throw. The immortal can spend PP to reduce a mortal's saving throw versus any of his spells equal to 2 PP per -1 reduction. Not sure how that would work in 5e.

I will revisit the rules and do so further tinkering.

I am a bit confused as you initial stated (I thought) that this wasn't the "Immortals" from BECMI, then you went on to describe the "Immortals" from BECMI. Am I missing something?

FYI, the BECMI "Immortals" has already been converted to 5e. It is free (on drive-thru-rpg) and called the Immortals Companion: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/194619/Immortals-Companion

I has some of M as well as I from BECMI.

I am also working on my own coversion, with some unique for 5e stuff over here: 5e Immortal Rules

Sadras

Legend
I am a bit confused as you initial stated (I thought) that this wasn't the "Immortals" from BECMI, then you went on to describe the "Immortals" from BECMI. Am I missing something?

FYI, the BECMI "Immortals" has already been converted to 5e. It is free (on drive-thru-rpg) and called the Immortals Companion: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/194619/Immortals-Companion

I has some of M as well as I from BECMI.

I am also working on my own coversion, with some unique for 5e stuff over here: 5e Immortal Rules

Perhaps the BECMI Immortals (Set 5 by Frank Mentzer) differed with the Wrath of the Immortals Boxed Set (Aaron Alston) - I haven't looked into the Immortal mechanics myself. The information regarding the ideas about Dimensions and the Multiverse were definitely different between the two sets. I would not be surprised if Aaron had updated/changed the Immortal mechanics as the OP claims.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Perhaps the BECMI Immortals (Set 5 by Frank Mentzer) differed with the Wrath of the Immortals Boxed Set (Aaron Alston) - I haven't looked into the Immortal mechanics myself. The information regarding the ideas about Dimensions and the Multiverse were definitely different between the two sets. I would not be surprised if Aaron had updated/changed the Immortal mechanics as the OP claims.

My recollection is the Wrath of Immortals was supposed to be playable with the BECMI "Immortals" rules, but I could be mistaken.

dave2008

Legend
I didn't not describe Immortals from the original set at all. Different creatures.

Yes you did.

Anti-magic: check
Power Points: check
Aura: check
Can cast any spell: check
starting HP 75: check

Those are all from the BECMI "Player's Guide to Immortals"

The Aaron Allston rules are an update of the BECMI rules, so by default, if you are talking about Wrath of Immortals, you are also talking about "Immortals" to some degree. Now I didn't previously realize that an update set of rules had been published so I am interested to see what it has. Nonetheless, what you have written so far is mostly right of the BECMI immortals.

dave2008

Legend
No the issue I think you have, and I am also having with my own conversion, is how to make it a 5e version of the Immortal rules. Right not it looks like you are basically copying the rules directly. But I feel they should be translated through a 5e filter if you will. So it is recognizable as 5e, but also something different. That is what I am struggling with.

However you want to approach it - good luck!

FYI, I found a 3.5e update to Codex of the Immortals on the web, it might be helpful.

MPA2000

Explorer
Yes you did.

Anti-magic: check
Power Points: check
Aura: check
Can cast any spell: check
starting HP 75: check

Those are all from the BECMI "Player's Guide to Immortals"

The Aaron Allston rules are an update of the BECMI rules, so by default, if you are talking about Wrath of Immortals, you are also talking about "Immortals" to some degree. Now I didn't previously realize that an update set of rules had been published so I am interested to see what it has. Nonetheless, what you have written so far is mostly right of the BECMI immortals.

The new Immortal rules revised and replaced almost all of old rules. I sincerely hope that you are just needing clarification.

Power points: Yes they both have them. The rules previously had more power points given to PC who's mortal characters were MU's, the revised rules gave them all the same amount as indicated above. In addition, the old rules allowed Power Attacks on Immortal ability scores and save against death against any creature who can't use PP. The new rules nixed both of those rules.

Can cast any spell: Under the old rules the old rules each spell cost the Immortal a number of PP depending on the level of the spell, as well as if that spell was diametric to it's alignment (equivalent to Elemental dominance). The new rules got rid of diametric rule and allowed the immortal to spend a set amount PP to enable them to cast any spell any number of times a day with no further cost.

HP 75: Under the old rules the Initiate didn't have any PP until he became a Novice, as this was a "training period". The new rules scrapped the training period and all new immortals start off with the template I described above.

If you are looking at the the old rules, you will see that 80% of the rules were revised and replaced. I didn't even get into all of the other additional things, because of time and desire.

dave2008

Legend
The new Immortal rules revised and replaced almost all of old rules. I sincerely hope that you are just needing clarification.

Power points: Yes they both have them. The rules previously had more power points given to PC who's mortal characters were MU's, the revised rules gave them all the same amount as indicated above. In addition, the old rules allowed Power Attacks on Immortal ability scores and save against death against any creature who can't use PP. The new rules nixed both of those rules.

Can cast any spell: Under the old rules the old rules each spell cost the Immortal a number of PP depending on the level of the spell, as well as if that spell was diametric to it's alignment (equivalent to Elemental dominance). The new rules got rid of diametric rule and allowed the immortal to spend a set amount PP to enable them to cast any spell any number of times a day with no further cost.

HP 75: Under the old rules the Initiate didn't have any PP until he became a Novice, as this was a "training period". The new rules scrapped the training period and all new immortals start off with the template I described above.

If you are looking at the the old rules, you will see that 80% of the rules were revised and replaced. I didn't even get into all of the other additional things, because of time and desire.

I made a few calls and I am picking up a copy of Wrath tonight or tomorrow :)

That being said, from your description it seems like mostly cosmetic changes. However, it sounds like they simplified the rules, which is more like 5e, so I like that. Maybe it will make my conversion easier! Thank you for the advice!

Remove ads