D&D 5E Buffing monks: with simple changes.

jgsugden

Legend
Ahh no. By this yardstick, OG PHB rangers are fine (because some people could have fun with them...
They were. They were not a great design, but they were fine. I played rangers early in 5E that DMs considered to be overpowered. The contempt and mockery of the class was more a perception problem than an actual one.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but, with the new unarmed fighting style that Fighters get, a monk's unarmed damage scales too slowly. It seems to encourage a 1 level Fighter dip or a feat to get that fighting style to get a 1d8 unarmed damage at 1st. A monk starts at a d4. It's really pathetic. I think a Monk should start at a d6 get a d8 damage much sooner and they should cap out at a 2d10 at 20th.

That said, I find a Way of the Fist Monk to be an encounter killer with the ability to Stun Lock a boss. And their movement is insane if paired up with mobility which allows them to save Ki points in order to move in and out of combat without provoking attacks of opportunity. I'm not sure how the other archetypes do at higher levels but, in my experience, Way of the Fist is pretty strong.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but, with the new unarmed fighting style that Fighters get, a monk's unarmed damage scales too slowly. It seems to encourage a 1 level Fighter dip or a feat to get that fighting style to get a 1d8 unarmed damage at 1st. A monk starts at a d4. It's really pathetic. I think a Monk should start at a d6 get a d8 damage much sooner and they should cap out at a 2d10 at 20th.

That said, I find a Way of the Fist Monk to be an encounter killer with the ability to Stun Lock a boss. And their movement is insane if paired up with mobility which allows them to save Ki points in order to move in and out of combat without provoking attacks of opportunity. I'm not sure how the other archetypes do at higher levels but, in my experience, Way of the Fist is pretty strong.
I think it is totally outrageous that they gave that fighting style to the fighters. It may not be mechanically unbalanced, but it is basically robbing the main shtick of another class.

Horwath

Legend
Agreed. I like how it scaled in older editions(3e):
1st: 1d6
4th: 1d8
8th: 1d10
12th: 2d6
16th: 2d8
20th: 2d10
I would not give monks unarmed damage higher than that of a greatsword.
No matter how much we want to indulge into shaolin mysticism.

That is why I suggested that it maxes out at d12.
That also might be too much, but it's is needed for game balance.

I would not give monks unarmed damage higher than that of a greatsword.
No matter how much we want to indulge into shaolin mysticism.

That is why I suggested that it maxes out at d12.
That also might be too much, but it's is needed for game balance.
Sure, fair enough. But they should at least be able to keep up with an unarmed fighter without having to multi-class. I don't think it's too much. A great sword is a d12 and they can't synergize many feats with it like a fighter can with a heavy weapon.

Horwath

Legend
With all the images of martial artists punching through bricks and boards and stuff, I'm surprised none of the editions ever gave monks the ability to do double damage to structures/objects or some similar power.
3.0 Oriental Adventures had Iaijutsu focus skill that gave you bonus +Xd6 damage, depending on skill check roll vs. flat-footed opponents and objects.

akr71

Hero
1. increase hit die to d10. d8 feels a little low for melee class with low armor.

2. martial arts damage die increase from 1d4->1d10 to 1d6->1d12.

3. wis mod(if positive) to ki pool.

4. extra skill proficiency at 1st level.

5. AC calculation. AC is calculated as 10 + two modifiers from STR, DEX, CON or WIS.
This would give more room for diverse types of monks and still keep their starting AC at 15/16.

Would all 5 changes be too much or monk is so bad that it might need more than these 5 simple fixes?
I like it. In a previous campaign of mine, the monk found a magical ring that increased Ki by their Wisdom modifier. It required attunement, so there was a cost associated with the buff.

Alternatively, you could remove the Ki cost from some abilities and make it a 'Proficiency Bonus times per [long or short] rest' like so many other class design mechanics seem to be moving to. Stunning Strike would probably be at the top of my list here.

Number 5 is definitely interesting and could make for diverse types of martial arts characters.

Having studied karate for a number of years, I feel like the monk is missing some sort of Reaction for a temporary AC boost. Deflecting and blocking blows is such a key part of most martial arts. I know patient defense and unarmored defense are supposed to mimic this, but it is lackluster and at the table doesn't really capture the 'quick reflexes' feel. Maybe rework patient defense to spend 1 Ki as a reaction and increase your AC by your Martial Arts die until the end of your next turn?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases