Dragonlance Building a Dragonlance character, according to DDB.

It is in my experience. Try introducing things that limit creative character building and see what happens.
in my experence they just ask why, and as long as you have a good story reason they roll with it.
Pre-gens.
I use those at Cons, but I don't have time or energy to make them for a campaign.
Random stats. Random, in order stats.
I personally don't like those so I wouldn't. do that... I did have to use random in order stats in my current game and it totally ruined what I wanted to play... but it did end up with a funny character
15str 16 dex 18 con 20 int 18 WIs 15 Cha
so I was going to play a meek bookish nerd... but I couldn't justify that so I made a multi class artificer(battlesmith) wizard(bladesinger) that everything came easy to so he is lazy.
Restricted races, classes, subclasses, feats, spells, etc. Anything that curtails the “I’m so unique and special” vibe is anathema. Even if no one planned on using it.
I only see this with players that played in 3.5 and pathfinder, new players are normally "Cool what options can I pick from"
It’s not about new or younger players. It’s a play culture thing. The entire OC style is based on it. And that seems like a hugely outsized part of the fan base at the moment.
I have so many friends (through my fiancé) that do the other roleplayer thing with OCs and this isn't like any of them...

darjr

I crit!
Online. With adults.

ETA: To be clear, this is also a large part of the reason I quit playing 5E. Too much toxic BS and entitled nonsense.
This doesn’t actually answer the question?

“Online” is a big place.

Feel free not to answer but I was wondering where on line? Or how do you get your players?

I don’t do a ton on line but I have done some and if I encountered this as a problem I’d come to a much different diagnosis than I think you have.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
By way of example for this phenomena, I just had a new player enter my group. The first things he asked were, "Can I play a homebrew race?" "Do you allow multiclassing?" And, "How much backstory can I give you?".
Yeah, and? Nothing that didn't happen back in the 80s. Heck, we even had a magazine or two that published people's homebrew stuff.

Building original characters is toxic and entitled is not a position I ever expected to see
I had someone tell me in one of the (now closed) Dragon Lance threads that in 1e (TBF i started in 2e) making a character from the PHB wasn't expected, you would play pregens and (I guess this is where the joke I always hear is from) if your character dies you take the same pregen and (maybe) change the name and that is your new character...

now others said that was not there experience, but the fact that that was SOMEONEs means this happens.

Remathilis

Legend
in the 90s not only would we have dozens of 'splat books' and magazine options but people would be like "I built my own class with fighter thac0 and theives skills and some spells"
Ah, the "custom class" rule from DMG 2e. I'm sure they meant well, but calling that system half-baked is giving it half too much credit.

That said, one of the best guys I ever played with initially joined our group wanting to play some shapechanger custom class in 2e. DM said no, so he opted for a 2e psionicist and he was one of the most fun (and broken) characters I'd ever seen. That was the late 90s.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases