D&D 5E Burning doors with firebolt

Oofta

Legend
Something else to consider is that charred wood is fire resistant. So after the first cantrip or two, the wood is going to be harder to burn.

In addition, I don't see the whole door going up in flames, I see a fist-sized hole being (very) slowly formed. It would take hours to burn down most doors, and probably create a great deal of smoke. Even creating a bonfire on one side of a door would take a significant amount of time to burn through the door.

It would be an interesting experiment. Take a wooden log (oak or similar hardwood) apply a blow torch to it for a couple of seconds, take the flame away for a few seconds and apply again. Kind of a "spell caster's Myth Busters". Having started my share of fires, if the flame ever did start the door on fire I suspect it would go out in a very short order. You need continual heat for several minutes to get a log burning.

ShadoWWW

Explorer
Thank you all for your tips. So basicly it's not that easy to burn it out, and there may be other consequences like unbreathable smoke or a random encounter meanwhile. I also heard about explosive gas in underground enviroment. Thank you all for your tips, again. I appreciate it very much.

MechaPilot

Explorer
To be fair, you couldn't kill a person by holding a lighter up to them either. So I guess firebolt is a bit more than that.

In accordance with the term "bolt" and the ranged attack nature of the spell, I always figured there was some measure of impact involved, despite there being no bludgeoning damage.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Thank you all for your tips. So basicly it's not that easy to burn it out, and there may be other consequences like unbreathable smoke or a random encounter meanwhile. I also heard about explosive gas in underground enviroment. Thank you all for your tips, again. I appreciate it very much.

Happy to help - I'm a fan of saying "yes" when someone gets creative, but there's "saying yes" improv-style to add fun and continue the story, and then there's letting a player improvise to the detriment of other players' fun.

SwivSnapshot

First Post
Happy to help - I'm a fan of saying "yes" when someone gets creative, but there's "saying yes" improv-style to add fun and continue the story, and then there's letting a player improvise to the detriment of other players' fun.

A simple way to balance the equation- the random encounter table now results in an encounter on a 2 thru a 20 and the DM rolls 2 dice to determine the encounter monsters. If the DM feels like making the point even more obvious, the maximum possible number of monster arrive or the DM can roll for a random monster every round.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Agree with what others have said about practibility.

Who said doors are flammable? Just because it's made of wood doesn't mean it's immediately flammable, especially from any old piss-mote of flame and a paltry 1d10. Without kindling, or an already roaring campfire, that solid door is not going to burn.

I agree with not being immediately flammable, however....

"paltry 1d10" one shot kills commoners. (4 hp). Any blast of fire that can kill a person is a pretty fearsome flame.

Remove ads