• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Burning Heretics (IC)

Bihlbo

Explorer
OOC: You guys know that there's a good chance the creature won't be within reach, much less between you and another ally, by the time you get a chance to attack, right? Or is this the way things usually go, and changing your action is just a conceit of the medium?

renau1g

First Post
OOC I realized that as I was halfway through my post, but didn't want to lose my tumble roll ;) Also, covaithe's in the UK and might not want to hold up the combat round as it's getting later in the evening there and only noon PST. Also, Xavier will be able to flank with almost every character from his 'new' location, assuming the enemy doesn't move. I'll usually post early if I don't think I'll be able to post for a while.

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: I'm not too worried that Geraint won't get to attack. Either the thing will be close to where it is now, in which case 5' step plus attack should be fine, or it will move, and my attack can be an AoO, and I'll post another action. But, yes, I think it is an artifact of the medium that people tend to post actions in advance of when their turn is, and leave it up to the DM to make the decision as to whether that action is still reasonable or they need to change it. There are some slipups, miscommunications, and occasional retcons, but, really, is that so different from being around a table? :)

Jack of Tales

First Post
OOC: I prefer if everyone just posts when they can. If any slight changes need to be done to your actions such as moving to a different place because someone/something fills that spot or the need to move and attack comes up then I will make those changes.

moritheil

First Post
Alatheil - Fire Elf Wizard 3 - 16/16 hp

Alatheil's eyes widen as the arrow penetrates without effect. "Damage reduction? Some kind of magic? Perhaps it's from some other plane?" Hoping to score another hit and tell for sure, she moves closer still and continues to fire at it.

To hit and damage (1d20 2=20, 1d8=8)

Bihlbo

Explorer
OOC: Hope everyone had a good weekend. :)

[sblock=Actions]
IF: monster attacks Smoothy, then I'm going to use the Stone Vice strike (it has to save to avoid being immobilized for a round, I think the DC is 10+Str+IL(3), so 18, but I'll look that up ASAP).
IF: monster does > 4 points of damage to Smoothy, then +1 bonus on this attack​
IF: monster attacks someone else, then I'm going to use the Charging Minotaur strike to charge monster.

Attack roll (1d20+10=30), Crit confirmation roll (1d20+10=16)
If a charge is taken, add the +2 bonus to these rolls. If he's hurt by the monster, add the +1 bonus to these rolls.
Damage roll with +1 longsword (2d6+6=12), bonus damage dealt if Stone Vice strike is used (1d6=2), critical hit damage if the crit confirmed (2d6+6=11).
[/sblock]

Jack of Tales

First Post
Round 3/ Round 4

Round 3: The eight foot tall monstrosity takes a short step toward the wagon before lashing out with his claws towards the young artathi paladin. Unfortunately for it, Smoothedcrest distracts the creature by yelling something in Gol-Kaa and staring it down. The momentary distraction allows Felidae to duck under the attack. It levels its red eyes at the paladin and speaks in a dry voice,
"You have made a grave mistake in challenging me. Once I've killed you all I will feast on your bones."
The goliath then proceeds to move in on the creature, skirting around Felidae to attack. Seeing the oppurtunity, the beast lashes out and scores a deep wound on Smoothedcrest's right arm piercing through the armor [25, hit: 12 damage Raw]. Smoothy ignores the wound and steps face to face with the towering monstrosity. He swings his sword around and smashes it into the creature's leg attempting to impede its movement. A deep cut displays nothing but decayed flesh and seething muscle as it lets out a howl and withdraws its leg from the goliath.
Felidae steps up under the attack and slashes right, then left in a beautiful display of steel. Her first cut with Justice leaves a gash across the beast's chest while the second only scores a minor hit on its arm. However despite all the hits the beast does not seem hurt by any of her last attacks. Alathiel moves forward and wonders what type of immunity the beast has while firing again at it. Her arrow lodges itself right below the left eye and draws a low growl from within its chest. Xavier's erratic movements prevent the beast from getting a successful attack off and he comes up behind it swinging his warhammer but misses as it moves with inhuman speed out of the way of the swinging weapon. Geraint moves forward and stabs at the leg wounded by Smoothy's fearsome attack. He manages to rip the wound open more leaving a large piece of dried flesh flapping in the wind as it peels off the bone.

Initiative:
[sblock]
? Creature: 18
Smoothy: 15
Felidae: 11
Human guard: 10
Alathiel: 10
Xavier: 5
Geraint: 4[/sblock]
Battlefield Effects[sblock]
Smoothedcrest: Iron Guard's Glare
[/sblock]
Combat Log:[sblock]
Round 1: Creature attacks human guard: 21, hit (11 damage). Smoothy moves in. Felidae moves in. Human guard retreats, uses full defense. Alathiel shoots and misses. uses Knowledge skills. Xavier moves in and issues a challenge, ignored. Geraint moves in.

Round 2: Creature attacks human guard: 9, miss. Smoothedcrest moves into threat range; Creature AoO 21, miss. Felidae charge + smite: 21, hit (4 Raw). Human guard withdraws from combat. Alathiel shoots: 20, hit (1 Raw). Xavier moves around creature; Creature AoO 9, miss. Geraint charges 13, miss.

Round 3: Creature attacks Felidae: 14, miss. Smoothedcrest moves to attack, provokes AoO: 25, hit (12 raw); Smoothy attacks: 31, hit (10 raw). Felidae full attacks: 22/18, hit, hit (0/0 Raw). Alathiel moves forward and fires an arrow: 20, hit (3 raw). Xavier tumbles [18] avoids AoO and attacks: 13, miss. Geraint moves 5' and attacks: 21, hit (2 Raw).[/sblock]

OOC: [sblock] I took into account the +1 to hit/damage from the crusader's delayed HP pool. Also note: Can everyone put their character's name and current HP (only if you've taken damage) in the title of their posts once you take a hit? It makes it easier for me to see if anyone's about to die. Also if you want any other information up in the rounds I can provide it in a seperate sblock just tell me.[/sblock]

Attachments

• Roadside Encounter.jpg
    Roadside Encounter.jpg
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 144

covaithe

Explorer
"No blood? Rotting muscles, dried flesh? What kind of creature is this?" thinks Geraint.

[sblock=ooc]kn(religion) +1 to see if the thing is undead. If it is, and Geraint figures this out (or somebody smarter clues him in), he'll cast CLW defensively (succeeds vs DC 16), make a touch attack 1d20+7=14 (includes +2 for flanking), dealing 1d8+3=11 positive energy if it hits.

If it's not undead or G can't figure out that it is, he'll power attack for 3, missing wildly: 1d20+6=8, 1d8+11=15

I'm likely to be away from my internet connection for most of tommorow; if you get the opportunity to resolve more than one round, Geraint is likely to continue behaving the same way, if the situation remains largely the same.[/sblock]

Remove ads