• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Burning Heretics (IC)

Jack of Tales

First Post
OOC: I didn't see a roll for Know(Religion) for Geraint so I rolled for you, d20+1=18.

Geraint can tell by the creature's anatomy that it is an undead he also remembers learning about these beasts in a short lecture he attended regarding common intelligent undead found in the Bey'Amanth Plains. The undead is called a Boneclaw although this one seems to be a lot less terrifying then described in the lecture. It is said that it can extend it's hands outward to upwards of twenty feet and Geraint has already experienced this ability first hand. It is unusual that it is so far from the undead plains though.

Alathiel can identify the creature as a type of undead which, she guesses from its speaking, is obviously intelligent.

Bihlbo

Explorer
Smoothy: hp 29/36 (5 in delayed damage pool at end of round 2)

[sblock=OOC]
I had wanted to use Minotaur's Charge against him since he didn't attack Smoothy. But hey, I can roll with the way things went down. I'll include less options next time, or just wait till the monster moves before I post my actions. I'm sure that what I wrote was kind of confusing.

I assume that it must have reach, for Smoothy's movement to have provoked an AoO. Did it just not choose to attack the others that closed range?

In the beginning of round 3, Smoothy will have 24/36 hp, with none in the delayed pool.[/sblock]

(This is round 3 actions, assuming that the creature doesn't move a lot. Discount all of the following if the creature moves more than 5'. If the creature moves just 5', Smoothy takes a 5' step before attacking.)

Smoothedcrest ducks behind his shield, shouting, "No matter home of the beast! Corner against yon cart!"

Stabbing at the creature's open gash, Smoothy keeps focused on maintaining his allies' protection and his strike's result is hidden in folds of the beast's cloak. (longsword attack (1d20+11=17))

Last edited:

Jack of Tales

First Post
OOC: You can only make a charge if you have straight line of effect of more then 10'. Even before your turn Felidae was in the way of you taking a charge. Allies count as blocking a charge, sorry mate. That's the only reason why I didn't have you use the charge attack and took the other option instead. It does have reach but Xavier used tumble and the others only took 5' steps.

renau1g

First Post
Xavier the Bold - Human Rogue/Fighter 2/1 - 24/24hp - 18AC

[sblock=ooc] If the others tell Xavier the creatures an undead please use option #1, else use option #2 [/sblock]

[sblock=Option#1] Being unable to locate a critical area to strike on something that seemingly has no vital organs, Xavier will try a different tactic. Activating his healing belt, Xavier will reach out and punch the creature's back, while it's distracted with Smoothy. After the strike he'll bring up his weapons in front of him, waiting for the retaliatory strike.
"Enjoy my healing touch, abomination, perhaps it is you who've made the mistake here" Xavier will shout over the din of the battle, loving a good fight.

[sblock=ooc] Touch Attack, Positive Energy Damage (1d20+7=20, 2d8=9) Uses 1 charge of the belt, includes +2 flanking (If not flanking move 5' west to be flanking with Felidae) [/sblock] [/sblock]

[sblock=Option#2] Finally getting himself in his favoured location, Xavier will spin to the right, turning his back on the creature for a second. While he gains momentum from this move, he'll lead first with his warhammer, hoping to crush bone, while following up with his handaxe, thinking to cut the leg off.

[sblock=ooc] Hammer Strike, Axe Chop, Hammer Damage, Axe Damage (1d20+7=16, 1d20+7=18, 1d8+4=8, 1d6+1=3) First two are the attack rolls, second two are damage, includes +2 for flanking (If not flanking move 5' west to be flanking with Felidae) no sneak attack, I'm assuming [/sblock] [/sblock]

G

Guest 11456

Judge Felidae : Ahl’Artathi Paladin 3 : AC 17

Seeing the ineffectual attack by her weapons, Felidae decides to swing with only Justice this time. However she misjudges her opponent and swings wide.

OOC:
Attack with Justice (+1 Scimitar): 6

Bihlbo

Explorer
[sblock=for Jack of Tales]
Jack of Tales said:
OOC: You can only make a charge if you have straight line of effect of more then 10'. Even before your turn Felidae was in the way of you taking a charge. Allies count as blocking a charge, sorry mate. That's the only reason why I didn't have you use the charge attack and took the other option instead. It does have reach but Xavier used tumble and the others only took 5' steps.

I wasn't familiar enough with Charge rules, so I re-read them. I wasn't aware of this part, "Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge." Thanks for clearing up that and the rest.[/sblock]

Jack of Tales

First Post
Round 4

The undead creature now has its back to the wagon. It reaches out and slashes her across the arm and upper chest leaving three deep gashes [10 damage]. Smoothedcrest watches as the attack leaves it open and stabs under the arm into the body beneath. He feels the sword bite deep but is not sure how effective the strike was. A hiss from the thing gives the answer as it retracts its arm and glares at the goliath. Felidae strikes with a single blade but the cuts in her arm cause her to swing wide and miss her target. Alathiel's arrow lodges itself in the fleshy part of the upper arm dangling like some strange piercing while she calls out to her allies alerting them to its undead nature. Xavier take a quick sidestep and makes use of this new information by activating his healing belt with a simple command word before reaching out to touch his opponent. A soft, white light emanates from his hand and spreads over the undead's lower back where Xavier touches it. The light seeps into the creature's skin with a sound like boiling water sizzling on bare flesh. It lets out a high-pitched scream and turns toward Xavier, preparing to make him its next target. Gerraint leans forward to take advantage of the movement but misses completely and snatches only a handful of tattered robe.

Initiative:
[sblock]
? Creature: 18
Smoothy: 15
Felidae: 11
Human guard: 10
Alathiel: 10
Xavier: 5
Geraint: 4[/sblock]
Battlefield Effects[sblock]
Smoothedcrest: Iron Guard's Glare
[/sblock]
Combat Log:[sblock]
Round 1: Creature attacks human guard: 21, hit (11 damage). Smoothy moves in. Felidae moves in. Human guard retreats, uses full defense. Alathiel shoots and misses. uses Knowledge skills. Xavier moves in and issues a challenge, ignored. Geraint moves in.

Round 2: Creature attacks human guard: 9, miss. Smoothedcrest moves into threat range; Creature AoO 21, miss. Felidae charge + smite: 21, hit (4 Raw). Human guard withdraws from combat. Alathiel shoots: 20, hit (1 Raw). Xavier moves around creature; Creature AoO 9, miss. Geraint charges 13, miss.

Round 3: Creature attacks Felidae: 14, miss. Smoothedcrest moves to attack, provokes AoO: 25, hit (12 raw); Smoothy attacks: 31, hit (10 raw). Felidae full attacks: 22/18, hit, hit (0/0 Raw). Alathiel moves forward and fires an arrow: 20, hit (3 raw). Xavier tumbles [18] avoids AoO and attacks: 13, miss. Geraint moves 5' and attacks: 21, hit (2 Raw).

Round 4: Creature attacks Felidae: 20, hit [10 raw]. Smoothy attacks: 17, hit [6 raw]. Felidae attacks: 6, miss. Alathiel attacks: 21, hit [2 raw]. Xavier uses Healing Belt as touch attack: 20, hit [9 raw]. Geraint attempts to use Cure Light Wounds on ? creature: 14,miss. [/sblock]

G

Guest 11456

Judge Felidae : Ahl’Artathi Paladin 3 : 15/25 HP : AC 16

Hearing Alathiel's calls of its true nature, Felidae sheaths Justice and reaches out to attack with her bare hand. However she still seems to be having difficulties from her injuries and is unable to hit the creature.

OOC:
Touch Attack to deliver lay on hands damage (does not provoke AoO): 7

Bihlbo

Explorer
Smoothy: AC 22, hp 24/36 (delayed pool is empty at the start of round 3)

Thinking to himself, By Autur, the strike was true, this beast can be felled... Guide their blades, great protector, and rid the realms of mortals of this contemptible transgressor!

Smoothy bellows a call loud enough to rattle the links of his armor and leave a ringing in the steel of his raised shield, "Weapons be struck where mine strikes! GRAAR!" With a great swing, he aims at the pelvis of the creature, aiming to slice straight through to the spine.

[sblock=Actions]
Smoothy uses his Leading the Attack maneuver. To hit: 1d20+10=17, damage: 2d6+6=9 with his +1 longsword. If that hits, everyone after Smoothy gets a +4 bonus to hit the creature.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Xavier the Bold - Human Rogue/Fighter 2/1 - 24/24hp - 18AC

After the success of his last attack and the ineffectual strikes from some of the others weapons, Xavier will rely on what works and attempt to activate his belt again to strike the creature.

[sblock=ooc]Touch Attack & Damage (1d20+7=22, 2d8=8) Uses 1 charge, includes flanking bonus, but not Smoothy's +4 to hit [/sblock]

Remove ads