• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Burning Wheel

Turjan

Explorer
fredramsey said:
The learning by doing is fantastic. Especially since you learn not only from your successes, but your failures. Simply testing your ability increases it.
That sounds much better than what Crothian wrote. I like 'learning by doing' systems, but I hate it, when learning is only done from successes, because this drags out the lower levels indefinitely, whereas advancement speeds up dramatically at higher levels.

Turjan

Explorer
Crothian said:
What other game has mechanics for character beliefs like in Burning Wheel??
HeroQuest. It's integral to the game, and it defines magic. I'm not sure whether it's the same kind of mechanics, though. Character creation seems similar, too.

Glyfair

Explorer
Crothian said:
What other game has mechanics for character beliefs like in Burning Wheel??

No idea, I'll have to dig out my books to check. I don't really remember the mechanic. Maybe it was something added to the later edition?

I guess I'll have to reread it and see what I was critical about. The one thing I remember is the main experience system reminded me of the Warhammer Fantasy system (since you are this, you can go here or here).

Crothian

First Post
Glyfair said:
No idea, I'll have to dig out my books to check. I don't really remember the mechanic. Maybe it was something added to the later edition?

I guess I'll have to reread it and see what I was critical about. The one thing I remember is the main experience system reminded me of the Warhammer Fantasy system (since you are this, you can go here or here).

I never saw the earlier edition of BW so I don't know what changed. It was the one area of the game that I hadn't seen before and as someone above mentioned there is something similar in Heroquest but I've never seen that.

Paka

Explorer
Glyfair said:

Beliefs were in the classic edition too. They're the heart and soul of the system, without a doubt.

Paka

Explorer
Glyfair said:

Maybe you are talking about the character generation system. It is a lifepath system but the experience system is nothing at all like Warhammer. I think you got an incorrect notion from the lifepath tables.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads