"By the power of magic..." what is your verbal components like?

Remathilis

Legend
Ok, when your spellcaster goes to cast ANY spell with a verbal component, what does he/she say?

Do the speak an ancient incantation in a mysterious language? "Expecto Petrolum!"

Do they offer prayer or homage? "Sylph, spirit of wind..." "By the power of our dark lord..."

Is it short, long, or varies? Does it require a specific language? (Celestial, Draconic, etc)

Does it need to rhyme, or be in Iambic Pentameter "Double, Double, Toil and Trouble..."

Does it differ based on the type of magic? the caster-type (druidic, clerical, bardic...)

Lastly: Do you make you players actually say them? ;)

TheEvil

Explorer
The only verbal I really worry about with my sorcerer is Blindness/Deafness. In that case I point at the mini representing the target and, in a strong, clear voice, say "Damn your eyes!"

I will probably come up with other for other spells as I play, as this isn't too hard to keep track of with a sorcerer. Might be hell with a wizard and a large spell book.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Remathilis said:
Ok, when your spellcaster goes to cast ANY spell with a verbal component, what does he/she say?

Do the speak an ancient incantation in a mysterious language? "Expecto Petrolum!"

Expecto Patronum?

I don't do too much of that, because I don't want to sound like a loon when playing. In fiction, I've used backwards latin before, because in addition to having a meaning, it sounds just exotic enough to be cool.

Every once in a while, if I want one or two of my players to get scared, I might have a lich utter, "ANCIENT SPIRITS OF EVIL... TRANSFORM THIS DECAYED FORM TO MUMM-RA, THE EVER LIVING!" :)

Seeten

First Post
I think this needs adding in our campaign. I'm gonna do up a list of sayings for all my wizard spells. You've inspired me.

Voadam

Legend
We do out command words but not verbal components for players and NPCs to say.

Sometimes as a DM/player I will say things like "zap" for when I'm throwing around lightning or "boom" for major evocations.

The mumra one is great though.

Voadam

Legend
"Klaatu, barata, Nic ..., Nec . . ., Necktie. Noodle. Klaatu, barata, Hmmphmrph."

A great summoning charm: "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"

KB9JMQ

First Post
Well I always have assumed they are saying the magic words but don't actually have any guidelines on what they are saying.
Though I am sure they would do some Harry Potter like phrases if we implemented it. ;)

Ruined

Explorer
My spoken components are all from the DM side of the table. It'd be nice if my players did every once in a while, but doesn't really happen. I opt for the 'arcane-sounding" nonsense words, a bit gutteral, kind of like death metal in truth. Of course, what do I think of when writing this?

"Klaatu... Verata...."

Remove ads