• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"By the power of magic..." what is your verbal components like?

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
The only one we ever used (way back in 2nd Ed...) was Wish, as in "I wish..."

This spell was never completed by the player due to the fact that his patron deity was none other than Raiden, god of Thunder and Lightning, and living in fear of this, the other PCs would tackle him to the ground should those two words ever combine out of this man's mouth.

Of course at one time I had considered using Dungeon Master's (old PC game) system of combining runic words. Especially Lo Ful Ir. Better known as Fireball...

Last edited:

XCorvis

First Post
Pasus Nauran said:
...Otherwise, it tends to be "Hummana, hummana, hummana.", with some sort of hand gestures...

That's what we do. Or, rather, that's what I do since none of the players are actually spellcasters.

Enkhidu

Explorer
shadowbloodmoon said:
...Of course at one time I had considered using Dungeon Master's (old PC game) system of combining runic words. Especially Lo Ful Ir. Better known as Fireball...

[tangent]
I've always like the idea of using Dungeon Master's Magic system for D&D in place of the existing one (with copious additions to account for different spells, of course).
[/tangent]

JimAde

First Post
We never use verbal components for arcane spells, but for divine ones we'll sometimes speak it in character. "Sokhmet smite thee!" is way cooler than "I cast searing light."

But, no, we don't use "magic words". And even what I've described above is the exception, not the rule.

Ibram

First Post
Lets not forget

"IA IA Cuthulu Fatagan"

I dont require my players to actualy use verbal components, its assumed that any words of power would be nearly incomprehensable.

I was in a game where the wizard cast his most power full spells with "Darkness beyond Twilight, Crimson beyond blood that flows...."

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
KaeYoss said:
That's the feature I hate most about the DSA game, bar none. The spells had names like that, they sounded like the stupid stuff children make up.

Tunnels and Trolls, anyone?

Take That, You Fiend!

:D

-Hyp.

Arc

First Post
die_kluge said:
I once tried to correlate the old Ultima system of runic words to all the D&D spells. "Kel Lor!" and I forget the rest.

I always thought that was a cool system. Lots of thought put into that.

I'm rather fond of that idea. There's a fairly general list of the words here, and with some creativity, you could probably find an approximation for most core spells with them.

punkorange

First Post
Scarbonac said:
Nowadays, though, our verbal components are more likely to be

"Magic Missile!"

Wall of Force!"

"Fireball!"

"Tasha's Hideous Uncontrollable Laughter!"

"Phanstern's Uncontrollable Bowel Movement!"
Why not, it seems to work in every anime style cartoon I've ever seen.

My player's just say their casting magic missile, and as a DM I do'nt see a problem in this. I feel even if the spell has an hour long chant that goes along with it, all the wizard would speak for the component would be the last word or two, the rest is spoken during preperation of the spells at the start of the day.

Remove ads