C&Ds for Online D&D 5E Character Generators

Ed Friedlander reports that WotC has asked him to remove his D&D character generators. Ed ran the generators at his site, Pathguy.com, including a D&D 5E character generator. His Pathfinder RPG character generator is still running. Thanks to Slayyne for the scoop (who also reports that at least one other site has also closed). [Update: while the actual request has not been shared, others have reported that these are very amicable requests].

Ed Friedlander reports that WotC has asked him to remove his D&D character generators. Ed ran the generators at his site, Pathguy.com, including a D&D 5E character generator. His Pathfinder RPG character generator is still running. Thanks to Slayyne for the scoop (who also reports that at least one other site has also closed). [Update: while the actual request has not been shared, others have reported that these are very amicable requests].

You can see his closing note here.

"After almost two decades, Wizards of the Coast has asked me to remove my online character generators. I appreciate the many people who have written and thanked me for my work, and I hope you will continue to enjoy the hobby.

As a physician and gamer, I've supported and defended the hobby, and helped concerned families understand its value.

The "Dungeons and Dragons" phenomenon has encouraged young people to study other cultures. It is a game in which people work together to accomplish a meaningful goal. Characters even define themselves in terms of their good morals and their ethics. On one level, it simulates the spiritual warfare described in the Christian scriptures and in the Arthurian legends on which the game is based. I am proud that I was able to make a contribution.

My generator for Pathfinder will of course remain online. Click here for more information about this role-playing game.

May your dice come up 20s.

Ed Friedlander MD
"

Back in November, the D&D Tools website suffered a similar fate, as have a couple of spellcard websites. While WotC appears to be largely easygoing as far as fan creations are concerned, they do take action when content from their products is copied or distributed.

Ed's character generator created characters by selecting a number of options, and output a character sheet similar to below. I'm not all that familiar with it, so I don't know what text, if any, it may have borrowed from the official rules.

As yet, there's no license (Open Gaming or otherwise) for D&D 5th Edition (although WotC does intend to do so), although a number of publishers have published books anyway using the older Open Gaming License for D&D 3E and 3.5.

What is interesting to hear is that some people who have received such requests describe them as very amicable. Toxic Rat says "Speaking from personal experience, I received a very nice email asking that I take down particular content owned by WotC. No threats, no warnings of legal action, just a request to honor their copyright." That's great to hear.

dwarfey.jpg

weldon

Explorer
Contractual issues might be one thing. If they've given someone an exclusive license to do something, problems might arise if it transpires that it's not quite as exclusive as was promised. Even more so if someone paid thousands for a license to do something that you're quite happily letting everybody else do for free.

I absolutely agree with this point.

Consider the Morningstar project. That had a budget of $500k (and was more ambitious than just a character generator). Let's say D&D still has a vision of producing an electronic tool that is equally ambitious.

WotC won't do it in-house. They will license it out to someone. WotC has to send out these letters in order to show good faith towards any potential licensor. To do otherwise would demonstrate that they don't care about the project. If they don't really care about the project to begin with, that would turn away any number of potential partners.

Gecko85

Explorer
Assuming the "very robust 5e auto-generating charater sheet" you mention still exists, it sounds like exactly the sort of thing Wizards is targeting.

But really, is your argument actually that WotC is doing a bang-up job in the digital space because someone, somewhere has temporarily avoided being shut down by their legal team? :cool:

No, I'm saying that "OMG, 5e is going to DIE...DIE I TELL YOU...if they don't get DIGITAL TOOLS RIGHT NOW!!!" is bogus. Digital tools do exist...big ones that have not been shut down.

I don't know what the issue was with the generator that sparked this thread, but it had to be *something* he was doing that ran afoul of WotC's legal team. The 5e character sheet on roll20 had been there since the D&D Next playtesting. They're very well known, and well documented in their wiki. Roll20 is used by many, many people. There's zero chance WotC hasn't known about this for a long time...yet it still exists. Might that change? Possibly. But it seems something else was going on with the generator in question.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
It would be nice to have a mechanism to throw together a quick 7th level Wizard NPC on the fly but the system is light enough that it isn't necessary for my game.

Gecko85

Explorer
Do you *really* think the WotC legal team plays D&D and spends time looking into how D&D is consumed?
WotC is a CCG company. And their legal team is focused on that.

Do you *really* think they don't know about the largest virtual tabletop system, used by tens of thousands of players?

Bugleyman

First Post
No, I'm saying that "OMG, 5e is going to DIE...DIE I TELL YOU...if they don't get DIGITAL TOOLS RIGHT NOW!!!" is bogus. Digital tools do exist...big ones that have not been shut down.

I don't know what the issue was with the generator that sparked this thread, but it had to be *something* he was doing that ran afoul of WotC's legal team. The 5e character sheet on roll20 had been there since the D&D Next playtesting. They're very well known, and well documented in their wiki. Roll20 is used by many, many people. There's zero chance WotC hasn't known about this for a long time...yet it still exists. Might that change? Possibly. But it seems something else was going on with the generator in question.

Except that when you have to resort to distortion and exaggeration to make your point, there's a problem.

No one has said d&d is going to DIE RIGHT NOW. What we have said is that WotC's mis-handling of digital is beginning to have an impact, and that we're afraid that impact may eventually be severe if they don't right the ship. Further, if history is any indication, they probably won't right the ship.

Remove ads

Remove ads