C&Ds for Online D&D 5E Character Generators

Ed Friedlander reports that WotC has asked him to remove his D&D character generators. Ed ran the generators at his site, Pathguy.com, including a D&D 5E character generator. His Pathfinder RPG character generator is still running. Thanks to Slayyne for the scoop (who also reports that at least one other site has also closed). [Update: while the actual request has not been shared, others have reported that these are very amicable requests].

Ed Friedlander reports that WotC has asked him to remove his D&D character generators. Ed ran the generators at his site, Pathguy.com, including a D&D 5E character generator. His Pathfinder RPG character generator is still running. Thanks to Slayyne for the scoop (who also reports that at least one other site has also closed). [Update: while the actual request has not been shared, others have reported that these are very amicable requests].

You can see his closing note here.

"After almost two decades, Wizards of the Coast has asked me to remove my online character generators. I appreciate the many people who have written and thanked me for my work, and I hope you will continue to enjoy the hobby.

As a physician and gamer, I've supported and defended the hobby, and helped concerned families understand its value.

The "Dungeons and Dragons" phenomenon has encouraged young people to study other cultures. It is a game in which people work together to accomplish a meaningful goal. Characters even define themselves in terms of their good morals and their ethics. On one level, it simulates the spiritual warfare described in the Christian scriptures and in the Arthurian legends on which the game is based. I am proud that I was able to make a contribution.

My generator for Pathfinder will of course remain online. Click here for more information about this role-playing game.

May your dice come up 20s.

Ed Friedlander MD
"

Back in November, the D&D Tools website suffered a similar fate, as have a couple of spellcard websites. While WotC appears to be largely easygoing as far as fan creations are concerned, they do take action when content from their products is copied or distributed.

Ed's character generator created characters by selecting a number of options, and output a character sheet similar to below. I'm not all that familiar with it, so I don't know what text, if any, it may have borrowed from the official rules.

As yet, there's no license (Open Gaming or otherwise) for D&D 5th Edition (although WotC does intend to do so), although a number of publishers have published books anyway using the older Open Gaming License for D&D 3E and 3.5.

What is interesting to hear is that some people who have received such requests describe them as very amicable. Toxic Rat says "Speaking from personal experience, I received a very nice email asking that I take down particular content owned by WotC. No threats, no warnings of legal action, just a request to honor their copyright." That's great to hear.

dwarfey.jpg

holyground

First Post
This sucks because of how great the generator was. It was nice to whip up a character and just have the stuff. It didn't have any rules in it, merely names of spells and abilities, so you still needed a PHB to actually use the character.

Isn't that the point? If you need the PHB to actually play, what's the harm?

tomBitonti

Adventurer
But it is self destructive to fail to put out compelling tools, when the game value is only partially unlocked without such tools, and it is self destructive to fail to give out a clear policy.

Anyways, the way I see it, at the heart of this, standard IP practices don't mesh well with RPGs, which build strength from a community which is enmeshed in the game, and with players who become co-contributors of content as a part of a normal interaction with the game.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Wow, that's awful. I used a lot of Ed's character generators back in the 2e days.

Funny how history repeats itself. TSR was very strict about that stuff for a while, shutting down every fan work they could find. Right now Hasbro only seems to be doing it to character generators....but it's not a good sign.

Last edited by a moderator:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
But it is self destructive to fail to put out compelling tools, when the game value is only partially unlocked without such tools, and it is self destructive to fail to give out a clear policy.

Anyways, the way I see it, at the heart of this, standard IP practices don't mesh well with RPGs, which build strength from a community which is enmeshed in the game, and with players who become co-contributors of content as a part of a normal interaction with the game.

Actually, I think standard IP practices today is to leave fan created material alone, as long as it's not a commercial project. Companies have learned that allowing it to exist doesn't actually cost them anything, but alienating fans by being strict about derivative material will.

(edit: Fanfiction.net is a great example of this)

And in some cases, even commercial products seem to be okay. Look at Bethesda approving of that Fallout web series Kickstarter...

Uder

First Post
This is self-destructive and stupid - and so shortly after riding such a big wave of good will. Whoever is responsible should be canned.

GlobeOfDankness

Banned
Banned
as someone who's used Pathguy's generator in the past, i will surely miss them. i hope WotC is doing this as part of their gear-up to releasing a suite of tools of their own. i was one of the few people who had no problem paying for the insider tools back when i was playing 4e.

tomservo999

Explorer
This may be a good sign that Wizards may be developing its own generator

Hopefully it turns out better than Master Tools did...what a turd that turned out to be.

I don't claim to understand copyright/IP laws, but I fail to see how this generator was a threat to WotC/Hasbro any more than any of the fan created material here on ENworld is. Like the material here it generates interest in a game/hobby that in this age of constant electronic stimuli is sorely needed. As was mentioned earlier, you still had to own all the books to make use of it.

Even if they are within their legal rights, it just seems very short sighted and bad PR to me.

fireinthedust

Explorer
5e is a great edition. The tools were very handy, and being free allowed me to get a number of new gamers to buy into RPGs in general and 5e in particular. Like having a friendly cousin who'd help you get your sheet right, or tie your skates on before you get onto the ice.

I would welcome something similar on the WotC site, even with ads on the pages so they get marketing value (ie: every time we go to make new characters, or update them, we see ads for their products). Even without that, Ed's site was a helpful model, and something the industry needs in some form or other. I need something I can use to convert new gamers BEFORE they pay money. The basic rules are a great start, but something to help me "bean count" new characters on the fly? Handy.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Its this kind of crap that makes me wary of converting my stuff. I don't know if I will ever be able to let people see it since they refuse to release information about an OGL or fan content. Wizards, get your crap together. If you don't want to let people do this, then TELL US before we go to all this work. Release your fan content license please!

Remove ads

Remove ads