Critical Role Call of the Netherdeep playthrough commentary [spoilers]

When I read Call of the Netherdeep I couldn't decide if I thought it was a good, bad or in between, largely because I was uncertain how some of its moving parts would function in actual play. But my players are Critical Role fans, so I am going to try running it, starting tonight. So I thought I would report back on how it goes. This is aimed at using my experiences to help fellow DMs with the adventure, it's not a narrative.

There are six players, and we are running the game on Roll20. I am using milestone levelling, but because of the large number of players they will be a level behind in certain parts of the adventure for balance reasons, and to help me fit in extra content.

1. Preparation for chapters One and Two

Minor niggle: the person who drew the Jigow map doesn't know what a dodecahedron looks like from the top!
Larger niggle: The Emerald Grotto map expects the rival party to swim through a tunnel that is 3 feet wide and 5 feet high. Since one of them is a 12 foot tall ogre this could be difficult! I have decided that the elders will provide that character with a potion of diminution as well as a potion of water breathing. I would do the same for the PCs if one of them wouldn't be able to fit through that space (e.g. a centaur).

The unmarked player map for chapter two seems a bit pointless. there is no information on the marked map that they wouldn't know from consulting in game maps. There is no included battlemap for chapter two random encounters, and I couldn't find a generic badlands map that I liked. They all were either too green or too sandy. There was a map for the caravan stop, which seems redundant, since the is no fight likely to occur there, unless the PCs start one.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
One moment that jumped out at me early on is that the writers assume the adventurers will kill the shark at the bottom of the first dungeon, and that it will break through the wall into the (plot-vital) secret chamber in its death throes. However, the goal of the mission is to get the thing the shark is carrying, and I can see many groups doing that without actually killing that shark. Curious to hear how that plays out in your game.

The other thing I'm very curious about is the rivals, because the writers devote a LOT of ink to them, but my conclusion after reading about half the book was that the whole thing would play much smoother without them - especially if they end up as allies of the party (which seems likely). Seems like there would be a recurring extra job for the DM in figuring out why 5 NPCs aren't helping the party in a bunch of encounters.

The party includes a druid - I suspect they will befriend the shark and pull out the spear, in which case I will have it smash the wall in gratitude. But we will see. What could happen is the rivals get there first, kill the shark and take the McGuffin. Which might make things more interesting.

jgsugden

Legend
I'd have the PCs roll a perception role when they enter the chamber. Who gets the highest roll would be told there is a crack in the back of the chamber (with more detail for a higher roll) through which a little light can be seen. I might even have the McGuffin call to them somehow. Then, if the shark is evaded without combat, and there is no reason for the pillar to break, you can remind them of the crack and let them figure out they can knock the pillar into the wall to open it up.

This is not the approach I'd normally used in a dungeon design, but when you run someone else's dungeon you have to adapt. I would not put something in a dungeon that has to be found for the story to continue.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I'd have the PCs roll a perception role when they enter the chamber. Who gets the highest roll would be told there is a crack in the back of the chamber (with more detail for a higher roll) through which a little light can be seen. I might even have the McGuffin call to them somehow. Then, if the shark is evaded without combat, and there is no reason for the pillar to break, you can remind them of the crack and let them figure out they can knock the pillar into the wall to open it up.

This is not the approach I'd normally used in a dungeon design, but when you run someone else's dungeon you have to adapt. I would not put something in a dungeon that has to be found for the story to continue.

Totally - there are lots of ways for the DM to solve it, but it's a pretty glaring design flaw and I'm surprised it survived playtesting.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Larger niggle: The Emerald Grotto map expects the rival party to swim through a tunnel that is 3 feet wide and 5 feet high. Since one of them is a 12 foot tall ogre this could be difficult!
I would imagine that because the ogre would be horizontal while swimming... it's the ogre's width rather than height that would be the potential issue in a tunnel 3' x 5'. And I would have to think that even at 12' tall... an ogre's width (say at that their shoulders, probably their widest part) would certainly fall within the 3 to 5 foot range (and in actuality even gets a bit more room if it can rotate slightly and swim on the diagonal.) I'm 6' tall and my shoulder blades are about 18" across... so you double me up and the ogre would just make it in without even needing to swim on its side.

So a potion of diminution would certainly be helpful to the ogre overall, but I don't know if it'd be completely necessary.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
As mentioned if the party does not find it the Rival Party finds it instead.

The book describes the passage being opened by the death of the shark. There are many ways the encounter could reasonably end without the shark dying. It's a flaw. The shark could be taken out with a sleep spell, or pacified by magic, etc.

The writers describe the rivals claiming the jewel if the players refuse to touch it or if the rivals kill the shark and get in there first, but as written the story would dead-end if the adventurers, say, charm the shark or just take the prize off it and leave - or even if they lure it into another area and kill it there, which they can potentially do even before the rivals reach the final area.

The DM can fix it, but even a casual read will spot the problem.

Remove ads