• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Call to the Four Lands

J. Alexander

First Post
Request

Guys been doing a lot of thinking and unless your character can offer a very valid reason or it is core to his class i am going to put the nix on animal compiaons and cohorts for some time....we have a large party and such additions are not warranted at this time i feel and it will be way easier for me to keep track...so far we have 8 pc's a rather large party and things may go slow at times....the campaign will be very combat driven so expect lots nasties.........

Rhun

First Post
J. Alexander said:
Guys been doing a lot of thinking and unless your character can offer a very valid reason or it is core to his class i am going to put the nix on animal compiaons and cohorts for some time....we have a large party and such additions are not warranted at this time i feel and it will be way easier for me to keep track...so far we have 8 pc's a rather large party and things may go slow at times....the campaign will be very combat driven so expect lots nasties.........

I'm good with no animal companions. Even as a player I generally dislike them.

Dracomeander

First Post
I'm fine with no animal companion. I usually take the Variant Ranger Ability Distracting Attack anyway since a Ranger's Companion is limited to half the effectiveness of a Druid's companion.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
I had planned to take a familiar for Katherine - was thinking of a Raven but was also considering holding off for the 'Improved Familiar' feat so I haven't posted it yet. This is a pretty big deal for Katherine, as the familiar is the only special ability sorcerers get as they level up.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Evil advice

Get faerie dragon.

Reasons:
1. party will freak with fey creature in their midsts that is companion to magic user whose gift comes from the light :)

2. faerie dragon gets wish 1/day and is CN, think of fun we could have with I wish we were there already *poof*you're there or worse I miss those winter days without this scorching sun *poof* there is blizzard all around you (with time passed or returned or just improbable summer storm ;)) etc.

... :\
of course, you'd be giving DM another instrument of torture :uhoh:

J. Alexander

First Post
Tsk Tsk

Read the post gentlement i said unless it was part of your core class..geeze...ask the players not to go wandering around with 300 different animal types and i get a lot of griefs

Good news.....EXpected Start Date is next Friday..let me know if this works....

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Andor (Neurotic)

Works for me.

You'll have plenty of time to consider items and spells for neurotic half-vampire delusional priest of sun :)

I'll send you suggestion for Radiant Fire first thing monday morning (GMT +1)

Leif

Adventurer
Mowgli

Mowgli said:
I had planned to take a familiar for Katherine - was thinking of a Raven but was also considering holding off for the 'Improved Familiar' feat so I haven't posted it yet. This is a pretty big deal for Katherine, as the familiar is the only special ability sorcerers get as they level up.
You already got a Yes answer to your concern, but I just wanna know which edition of the PH you have if Sorcerers in your universe don't get any special abilities besides a familiar? Spells and Metamagic Feats don't qualify? I think those are pretty darned special myself.

And one more general question for the group: Back in the day, if a wizard's (magic-user's) familiar was slain, said wizard (magic-user) took some pretty serious hp damage. But I can't find that in the current incarnation of the rules. Does anyone know why that was dropped? I mean, I presume the "rule logic" justification for that was the trauma caused to the magic-user by the death of a creature to which he was psychically bonded, and the psychic bond is still present, as witnessed by the ability of wizards to speak with their familiars. So why the change?

Rhun

First Post
Leif said:
You already got a Yes answer to your concern, but I just wanna know which edition of the PH you have if Sorcerers in your universe don't get any special abilities besides a familiar? Spells and Metamagic Feats don't qualify? I think those are pretty darned special myself.

Spells, yes. Sorcerers don't get bonus feats; you are thinking of wizards. Besides spells, the familiar is their only class feature, though I believe PHB2 has some optional class features.

Leif said:
And one more general question for the group: Back in the day, if a wizard's (magic-user's) familiar was slain, said wizard (magic-user) took some pretty serious hp damage. But I can't find that in the current incarnation of the rules. Does anyone know why that was dropped? I mean, I presume the "rule logic" justification for that was the trauma caused to the magic-user by the death of a creature to which he was psychically bonded, and the psychic bond is still present, as witnessed by the ability of wizards to speak with their familiars. So why the change?

It wasn't dropped, just modified slightly:

SRD said:
If the familiar dies or is dismissed by the sorcerer, the sorcerer must attempt a DC 15 Fortitude saving throw. Failure means he loses 200 experience points per sorcerer level; success reduces the loss to one-half that amount. However, a sorcerer’s experience point total can never go below 0 as the result of a familiar’s demise or dismissal. A slain or dismissed familiar cannot be replaced for a year and day. A slain familiar can be raised from the dead just as a character can be, and it does not lose a level or a Constitution point when this happy event occurs.

Remove ads