• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Calling Guilt Puppy, Jemal, Buzzard and Victim: 4 vs. The Dragon

Guilt Puppy

First Post
buzzard said:
Also as an aside, who would ever make a cleric with an 8 charisma? They do have to turn things after all. Let's not try to be too obvious that we're min-maxing dragon killers here.

I have. Half-Orc Cleric of St. Cuthbert. He was a warrior of justice, more pleased to smash undead than to turn them. (Although you'll note that you still can make turning attempts with an 8 Charisma.)

(Edit:) And I hope no one objects to dragon min-maxing, as I was planning to do a full-on, dedicated dragon-slayer (partially to test whether or not the Ranger's Favored Enemy is really worth anything at higher levels)

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
Is the ranger going to be an archer or melee character?

I could take Chain Spell, so we could GMW and Magic Vestment tons of items. An archer would go through tons of arrows, especially if the dragon has minions.

We could use a wizard or sorcerer. Teleport would help alot, as would Mord's disjunction. There'd be no faster way to neutralize all the dragon's buffs. Fortunately, an enemy White dragon can't cast the level 7 wiz/sor Energy Immunity. Arcane spells are pretty cool all around.

Actually, I think something approaching the standard 4 man party would be nice. If part of the goal is to test the CR, then a lop sided party might skew the results. Also, since we might have to fight through the dragon's lair, trap detection would come in handy. But I don't want to constrain anyone's choices.

I think we ought to be able to counter the dragon's fast movement, be able to fly, deal with unusual environments, shut down the dragon's spells, and counteract cheesy or deceptive tactics. I'm sure everyone's heard about the white dragon that turned out to be another dragon polymorphed or something.

buzzard

First Post
I have my archer ready. I'm just waiting on the HP number. However I can post him as is:

Fred, M Elf Fighter6 Bard2 Arcane Archer9 Shadow Dancer3 CR 20; Size:M Type Humanoid; HD (6d10)+(2d6)+(9d8)+(3d8); hp 104; Init +15 (+11 Dex, +4 Misc); Spd Walk 30'; AC 22 (flatfooted 22, touch 17), *Longbow +5 (+1 Mighty/Composite/Flaming/Holy/Shock) +37/+32/+27/+22 110'/P (1d8+8 20/x3 Neither M +1d6 fire damage, +2d6 holy damage vs. evil, 1 negative level bestowed to evil wielder, +1d6 electric damage) or ; SA: Immunity to sleep,save +2 vs enchantment spells,Automatic Search check if within 5' of secret/concealed door,Bardic music 2/day,Bardic knowledge,Imbue Arrow,Seeker Arrow,Phase Arrow,Hail of Arrows,Enchant Arrow +5,Hide in plain sight,Evasion,Darkvision,Shadow Illusion,Summon Shadow,Uncanny Dodge (Dex bonus to AC); Vision: Low-light AL: NG; Sv: Fort +17, Ref +32, Will +14; Str 12, Dex 32, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 12

Skills and Feats: Climb +6, Craft (Weaponsmithing) +7, Hide +64, Jump +8, Listen +15, Move Silently +44, Perform +6, Ride +15, Search +3, Spot +14, Tumble +21; Armor Proficiency (Heavy),Armor Proficiency (Light),Armor Proficiency (Medium),Combat Reflexes,Dodge,Exotic Weapon Proficiency,Far Shot,Improved Initiative,Lightning Reflexes,Martial Weapon Proficiency,Mobility,Point Blank Shot,Precise Shot,Rapid Shot,Shield Proficiency,Simple Weapon Proficiency,Weapon Focus (Longbow (Composite)),Weapon Specialization (Longbow (Composite))
Possessions: 5.0 Alchemist's Fire (Flask), 3.0 Arrows (50), 1.0 Belt of Spell Resistance, 1.0 Boots (Winged), 1.0 Bracers of Archery, 1.0 Chain Shirt +1 (Mithral/Cold Resistance/Fire Resistance/Silent Moves), 1.0 Cloak of Displacement (Major), 1.0 Crowbar, 1.0 Gloves of Dexterity +4, 1.0 Helm of Vision, 1.0 Heward's Handy Haversack, 1.0 Longbow +5 (+1 Mighty/Composite/Flaming/Holy/Shock), 1.0 Manual of Quickness of Action +5, 5.0 Piton, 1.0 Portable Hole, 1.0 Potion (Aid), 5.0 Potion (Cure Serious Wounds), 1.0 Potion (Endurance), 3.0 Potion (Gaseous Form), 2.0 Potion (Prot. from Elements/Cold), 1.0 Potion (Remove Blindness/Deafness), 1.0 Ring (Blinking), 1.0 Ring (Chameleon Power), 1.0 Robe of Blending, 1.0 Rope (Silk/50 Ft.), 1.0 Rope of Entanglement, 1.0 Universal Solvent, 1.0 Vest of Resistance +5,
Spells: Bard: /1 1-Protection from Evil

Much of my gamble is based on the dragon not being able to hit him. Not through armor class however (poor odds of that with +41 to hit) since that is expensive. I have stacked blink and displacement. Also if I can get away with hiding I should be OK. The blindsight might be a problem however.

buzzard

Victim

First Post
Make the bow Mighty +4. STR buffs will take of 6 points you're missing. Also, Blindsight does defeat Displament and hiding, IIRC, but not Blink. Also, do you need the arcane archer levels since GMW is available?

We don't exactly need self contained characters.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Victim said:
Is the ranger going to be an archer or melee character?

Melee. With some flight. And a big scythe.

Haron
Half-Orc Ranger 20
Follower of Bahamut, dedicated slayer of the servants of Tiamat

Str 28 (14 +2 Rac, +2 Lev, +4 Inh, +6 Enh)
Dex 22 (14 +2 Lev, +6 Enh)
Con 24 (14 +1 Lev, +3 Inh, +6 Enh)
Int 8 (10 -2 Rac)
Wis 14 (14)
Cha 8 (10 -2 Rac)

(Stat bumps: 4 - Dex, 8 - Dex, 12 - Str, 16 - Str, 20 - Con)

AC: 40 (+6 Dex, +9 Armor, +7 Shield, +4 Defl, +4 Nat)
34 (touch), 44 (hasted), 45 (dodge, hasted)

HP: 276 (20d10 + 140)

Saves:
Fort: +26 (+12 base +7 Con +5 Cloak +2 Comp)
Refl: +21 (+6 base +6 Dex +5 Cloak +2 Comp +2 feat)
Will: +17 (+6 base +2 Wis +5 Cloak +2 Comp +2 feat)

Attacks:
(+20 BAB + 9 Str + 4 Enh + 1 WFoc = +34)
+4 Keen Hunting Holy D-bane Scythe: +34/+29/+24/+19
Damage:
(2d4 scythe + 13 Str + 4 Enh = 2d4 +17)
+4 Keen Hunting Holy D-bane Scythe: 2d4+17, 18-20/x4

Attacks vs. Evil Dragons, with potion of heroism:
(+20 BAB + 9 Str + 6 Enh + 1 WFoc + 2 Comp = +38)
+4 Keen Hunting Holy D-bane Scythe: +38/+33/+28/+23
Damage vs. Evil Dragons:
(2d4 scythe + 13 Str + 6 Enh + 10 Favored Enemy + 2d6 Holy + 2d6 bane)
+4 Keen Hunting Holy D-bane Scythe: 2d4+29+4d6, 18-20/x4

Feats:
W.Foc Scythe
Dodge
Iron Will
Lightning Reflexes
Power Attack
Quick Draw
Imp.Crit Scythe

Skills: (69 pts)
Animal Empathy +3 (4 ranks)
Escape Artist +10 (8 cc-ranks)
Heal +7 (5 ranks)
Hide +12 (6 ranks)
Knowledge (Dragons) +5 (12 cc-ranks)
Move Silently +12 (6 ranks)
Spot +10 (8 ranks)
Tumble +11 (10 cc-ranks)
Wilderness Lore +12 (10 ranks)

Equipment:
Manual of Bodily Health +3 82.5
Manual of Gainful Excercise +4 110
Bracers of Health +6 36
Belt of Strength +6 36
Gloves of Dex +6 36
Boots of Speed 8
Amulet of Natural Armor +4 32
Ring of Evasion 25
Ring of Protection +4 32
+5 Animated Lg Stl Shield 49.17
+5 Mithral Shirt 26.1
+4 Keen Hunting Holy D-bane Scythe 200.318
Bead of Summons 50
Cloak of Resistance +5 25
Potion of Heroism x3 2.7
Oil of Slipperiness x2 1.8
Potion of Fly x3 2.25
Potion of Cure Serious x3 2.25
Potion of Haste 0.75
Potion of Remove Fear x4 0.2
(759.838k gp)

Slots:
Left Ring - Evasion
Right Ring - Protection +4
Boots - Speed
Belt - Giant Strength +6
Armor - +5 Mithral Shirt
Bracers - Health +6
Amulet - Natural Armor +4, w/ Bead of Summons
Cloak - +5 resistance
Gloves - Dexterity +6

Lost some int for AC. Sad, but cats... I'll have plenty of skills at this level, and there's no reason or need for this Half-Orc to have above-average intelligence for his race.

Last edited:

buzzard

First Post
Victim said:
Make the bow Mighty +4. STR buffs will take of 6 points you're missing. Also, Blindsight does defeat Displament and hiding, IIRC, but not Blink. Also, do you need the arcane archer levels since GMW is available?

We don't exactly need self contained characters.

I'm not having my character own a bow which he can't use without help.

Now granted, I could easily make a more munchkin archer, but this one is fairly effective. Also with spell casting, if Mr. Dragon dispells the GMW, I'm at a major loss. With AA, I always have +5 arrows.

In any case I haven't tried an arcane archer yet and I am curious.

buzzard

Janos Audron

Explorer
Just roll HP. I trust you guys...a little :)

And I don't think the Vampire thing is a really good idea: the cohort would betray you (finally controlling the one who outshines him).

Victim

First Post
I don't recall anything that prevents you from shooting a mighty bow when the maximum bonus is higher than the strength. It sets a ceiling on the strength bonus provided, not a minimum.

Dragon caster level: 13: maximum result from greater dispel=33
Cleric caster level: 24 or 26. Dispel DC=35

Even with 20th level scrolls, the chances aren't that great for the dragon's dispel. Disjunction is more dangerous, but not as likely.

There's a +1 weapon property called Hunting in MotW that doubles favored enemy damage bonuses. It might be useful.

I'm just thinking that we should operate more as a team, and less as a collection of powerful individuals. But if you want to play something, go ahead. I've got some class combinations and stuff that would be cool to test out - but they aren't allowed.

buzzard

First Post
Well we certainly would function better as a team. However since we're only taking on a CR 20 critter, I doubt it will be necessary (famous last words).

If people would prefer I could cook up a Deepwood Sniper or Order of the Bow Initiate that could probably do appreciably more damage. I just did the Arcane Archer for the ssake of change, and because initially this thread said core only.

buzzard

Guilt Puppy

First Post
For flavor reasons, I was thinking of going with a Scythe, but figured it couldn't possibly be worth it (considering how many feats TWF costs).

However, decided to test some damage calcs:

Code:
+5 Keen Holy D-bane Scythe: +36/+31/+26/+21 18-20/x2
2d4+22+4d6, 18-20/x2
On crit: 8d4+88+4d6

Avg damage: 41
Avg crit: 41+81

vs. AC 41
+36: (.8)  32.8  + 9.72 (x2, for haste)
+31: (.55) 22.5  + 6.625
+26: (.3)  12.3  + 3.645
+21: (.05)  2.05 + 0.2025

+4 Keen Hunting Holy D-bane Scythe: +35/+30/+25/+20 18-20/x2
2d4+27+4d6, 18-20/x2
On crit: 8d4+103+4d6

Avg damage: 46
Avg crit: 41+96

vs. AC 41
+35: (.75)  34.5  + 10.8  (x2, for haste)
+30: (.5)   23    + 7.2
+25: (.25)  11.5  + 3.6
+20: (.05)  2.3   + 0.24

If Hunting from MotW is allowed (and it does what is described), I'll probably take that... This bumps it down to 4 rounds of full-attack to slay said dragon (important, considering I'll have trouble surviving that long anyway, and I don't want to burn too many rounds of haste.)

...Note that this also carries a benefit of extra feats, and frees up gold from the second shortsword. Might up my Str another +2 and up the damage even more (although I have a feeling all this is moot; that dragon is going to kill us all :) )

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads