• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Calm Emotions; how would you rule this?

Palskane

First Post
I am currently building a BBEG whose whole schtick is that he is built around Law. Anyways, I was considering giving him an aura. One that acts as a permanent Calm Emotions spell.

In this instance, once he attacks someone, assuming they failed the initial save, the effect is broken. I would think that, on that enemies next turn, they would get another save. If they fail, they would still not be able to attack.

Would this be correct? Does this ability seem too powerful?

Obviously, it could really mess with plans of melee combatants, but spellcasters could still cast at him, from beyond the effect of the aura. I don't want to totally screw over the players, but this guy should also put the fear of Law in them... so to speak.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Palskane said:
I am currently building a BBEG whose whole schtick is that he is built around Law. Anyways, I was considering giving him an aura. One that acts as a permanent Calm Emotions spell.

In this instance, once he attacks someone, assuming they failed the initial save, the effect is broken. I would think that, on that enemies next turn, they would get another save. If they fail, they would still not be able to attack.
For the spell itself, once you attack the effect would be broken for everyone. I guess your idea is that the BBEG could then raise it again on his next turn? Would that be a free action or what? (And I guess the BBEG himself is supposed to be immune to the effect?)

It's pretty strong ability... being able to cast a decent 2nd level spell at will as a free action is pretty good. Whether it is too strong depends on his level, the save DC, and what other special abilities the character has.

If you want to tone it down, make it a standard action to reactive the aura... imagine the character having to take a little time to tell everyone to settle down and stop fighting. Or maybe leave it a free action, but say he can't activate it in any round that he also makes an attack of any kind?

Bad Paper

First Post
You should make this a "this aura affects creatures once per 24 hours" effect, like a dragon's Frightful Presence. Otherwise, how you worded it makes it more like a constantly refreshing sanctuary effect, and possibly not the flavor that I would envision for this kind of guy. YMMV.

Palskane

First Post
jaelis said:
For the spell itself, once you attack the effect would be broken for everyone. I guess your idea is that the BBEG could then raise it again on his next turn? Would that be a free action or what? (And I guess the BBEG himself is supposed to be immune to the effect?)

It's pretty strong ability... being able to cast a decent 2nd level spell at will as a free action is pretty good. Whether it is too strong depends on his level, the save DC, and what other special abilities the character has.

If you want to tone it down, make it a standard action to reactive the aura... imagine the character having to take a little time to tell everyone to settle down and stop fighting. Or maybe leave it a free action, but say he can't activate it in any round that he also makes an attack of any kind?

Yes, it would work like the aura of a Dragon Shaman, and he could reactivate the aura as a swift action. As a quasi-deity he would be immune to the effect.

He would mainly use it as a device to force people to listen to him. But, it could be a devastating combat ability as well if used properly.

I'm just wanting to be prepared in case the scenario turns to combat. I think a save every round would be called for. I just want to get some other opinions.

moritheil

First Post
Bad Paper said:
You should make this a "this aura affects creatures once per 24 hours" effect, like a dragon's Frightful Presence. Otherwise, how you worded it makes it more like a constantly refreshing sanctuary effect, and possibly not the flavor that I would envision for this kind of guy. YMMV.

Or like an archon's. Which makes sense on several levels.

Palskane said:
As a quasi-deity he would be immune to the effect.

Unless your campaign is epic, I strongly recommend not using divine ranked villains. Your players are going to want to kill the villain, and they are going to be wholly unable to do so without a great deal of tactical ineptitude on the villain's part.

Palskane

First Post
moritheil said:
Unless your campaign is epic, I strongly recommend not using divine ranked villains. Your players are going to want to kill the villain, and they are going to be wholly unable to do so without a great deal of tactical ineptitude on the villain's part.

Yes, it is epic, and the PC's know this guy is a quasi-deity. They are on the cusp of DR0 themselves, and if they can beat this guy it will push them over the edge.

Whimsical said:
Compromise and make it a gaze attack instead of an aura. Therefore, players have some options.

Good idea. I might roll with that.

moritheil

First Post
Palskane said:
Yes, it is epic, and the PC's know this guy is a quasi-deity. They are on the cusp of DR0 themselves, and if they can beat this guy it will push them over the edge.

Ah, sounds neat. I only ask because the last guy whose plot involved a DR 0 BBEG had a campaign at level eight. :uhoh:

Palskane

First Post
Level 8?! Yeesh!

Yes, the PC's (many levels ago) were all slain and found themselves upon the Fugue Plane, where they were scooped up by their respective deities. Meeting their deities was a great experience in and of itself, but retaining their memories and powers was even more unusual (thanks Blackdirge, for the idea).

They were soon sent back to the Material Plane, whole. Before they went they had to accept back their souls, a glowing mote of light that would return them to physical bodies and deity-gifted equipment.

Proceed through the next twelve levels, righting wrong and kicking evil's a$$ when they find out that, in truth, they had been duped.

The glowing mote of light they had been given was not, in fact, their souls, but a deific spark given to them by their dying gods. They are the successors to the current pantheon, which is slowly dying and/or being slain by some unimaginable and immensely powerful evil.

So, they have begun to "grow" into deity-hood. This is their first real challenge since attaining this knowledge and this guy is the lackey of an even bigger BBEG who they know about but have only heard of.

Remove ads