D&D General Campaign Setting Contest: Should We Do It Again?

Aldarc

Legend
Not need for such defensive, insulting hysteria; I just don't need to like what you like, and vice versa, which is, okay. *said like Stuart Smalley*
Then perhaps refrain from insulting things that others may like and respecting the fact that others like what you don't.

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
Then perhaps refrain from insulting things that others may like and respecting the fact that others like what you don't.

That's a load of dishonest, embarrassing codswallop.

It's obvious to read what happened, I was asked what I didn't like about Eberron, and I gave my reasons, prefaced that they were just my opinions/experiences, and does not mean I'm right, but for some reason you just decided to go on some whacky, semi-belligerent, defensive rampage.

You like Eberron, I don't, and I gave my reasons when asked; there is nothing insulting about that.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Given, these are valid reasons not to like the setting.

In fact, as I'm typing this, I'm realizing that my Eberron is not at all the Eberron.

Dinosaur-riding Cannibal Halflings indeed!

I think you got a little Dark Sun in your Eberron there buddy.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
You can’t yuk someone’s yuck, and he was pretty clear that it was a preference.

It’s also good to respect others’ preference, which can include not liking something.

All good points, all true. It's just pretty rich considering who it's coming from :p

Which reminds me, my latest Eberron campaign had a Gnomish Warlock who thought he was a Paladin, does that count?

Aldarc

Legend
That's a load of dishonest, embarrassing codswallop.

It's obvious to read what happened, I was asked what I didn't like about Eberron, and I gave my reasons, prefaced that they were just my opinions/experiences, and does not mean I'm right, but for some reason you just decided to go on some whacky, semi-belligerent, defensive rampage.

You like Eberron, I don't, and I gave my reasons when asked; there is nothing insulting about that.
The guy literally said he didn’t like Eberron, was asked why, and provided his reasons.
He literally said that he detested it, which seems to transgress normal bounds of dislike, and then accused it of being adolescent, goofy, unoriginal, and dull for reasons that seem that do not seem particularly well grounded. I think that it's fine to dislike Eberron. It's not to everyone's taste. The aesthetic can be off-putting. Some may prefer other setting elements more. But you can dislike these things without engaging in typical name-calling behavior. Imagine, for example, if he had simply said, "I dislike halflings riding on dinosaurs." That's fine to me. However, saying the setting seems adolescent because it features halflings on dinosaurs and saying that it seems like something a 14-year-old would come up crosses the line.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
He literally said that he detested it, which seems to transgress normal bounds of dislike, and then accused it of being adolescent, goofy, unoriginal, and dull for reasons that seem that do not seem particularly well grounded. I think that it's fine to dislike Eberron. It's not to everyone's taste. The aesthetic can be off-putting. Some may prefer other setting elements more. But you can dislike these things without engaging in typical name-calling behavior. Imagine, for example, if he had simply said, "I dislike halflings riding on dinosaurs." That's fine to me. However, saying the setting seems adolescent because it features halflings on dinosaurs and saying that it seems like something a 14-year-old would come up crosses the line.

I agree, to an extent.

But, then, am I not allowed to express my feeling that certain settings (like LotFP's) are puerile?

I don't actually agree with Mycroft, but I think he/she/they should be allowed to express their feelings.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases