D&D General Campaign Setting Contest: Should We Do It Again?

I'm glad you are approaching this from a close-minded perspective since that spares you any discomfort of engaging in any good faith dialogue.
He never claimed to want to engage in a discussion. As stated, he simple, and respectfully answered a question and made it clear it was his opinion and one that others would not, and should not, agree with.

Then perhaps refrain from insulting things that others may like and respecting the fact that others like what you don't.
He never insulted anything. Just because someone does not like something you do, does not mean it is an insult. Just because you personally don't think agree with critical negative comments does not make them insulting.

He literally said that he detested it,
EDIT: Delete this part, I was wrong; No he did not. Go re-read what he actually said and READ it, don't just ass-u-me what it says because you think it is insulting something you value.

which seems to transgress normal bounds of dislike, and then accused it of being adolescent, goofy, unoriginal, and dull for reasons that seem that do not seem particularly well grounded.
Your opinion. But not one that is shared widely.

I think that it's fine to dislike Eberron. It's not to everyone's taste. The aesthetic can be off-putting. Some may prefer other setting elements more. But you can dislike these things without engaging in typical name-calling behavior. Imagine, for example, if he had simply said, "I dislike halflings riding on dinosaurs." That's fine to me. However, saying the setting seems adolescent because it features halflings on dinosaurs and saying that it seems like something a 14-year-old would come up crosses the line.
Calling something adolescent is not naming calling. It is using descriptive language to communicate a specific connotation. You should not be offended for liking "adolescent" things. In my 5th decade of life their are many things I enjoy and value that are decidedly "adolescent".

If you are going to get so emotionally upset and respond in such an aggressive manner, you should really consider stepping back from the thread and perhaps from the forum entirely for a day or two and return when you can not be offended at others opinions.

Last edited:

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
He literally said that he detested it, which seems to transgress normal bounds of dislike, and then accused it of being adolescent, goofy, unoriginal, and dull for reasons that seem that do not seem particularly well grounded.
Matters of like and dislike or detesting something do not have to be well-grounded. It's a matter of subjectivity. Not objectivity. Somethings just rub people the wrong way.

For example, I really like the Eberron Setting. But I just can't get past the incredibly "stupid" time line. Age of Demons 1,000,000 years? Age of Giants 80,000 years ago? Etc., Etc. It just totally took the setting and kicked it right in the teeth for me. Even a race that lives for a 1000 years gonna have a hell of a time remembering what happened 1,000,000 years ago. And the Orcs are the guardians against the demon incursion. A race that lives 80 years? Really? Hell, they don't even appear in the time line until 30,000 years ago. 70,000 YEARS after the end of the age of demons. AAAaaaargh!

Others have explained it, but it still just ruins the whole thing for me.
I think that it's fine to dislike Eberron.
But not if they give reasons you don't like.
It's not to everyone's taste. The aesthetic can be off-putting. Some may prefer other setting elements more. But you can dislike these things without engaging in typical name-calling behavior. Imagine, for example, if he had simply said, "I dislike halflings riding on dinosaurs." That's fine to me. However, saying the setting seems adolescent because it features halflings on dinosaurs and saying that it seems like something a 14-year-old would come up crosses the line.
No. No, it doesn't. It's his opinion. Is it a tad insulting? Yup. But, in my opinion, he can state it however he likes as long as he doesn't break the forum rules. The fact that you don't like the way he said it and it hurt your feelings for some reason in no way "crosses the line."

From the bleachers, you're the one who looks like the one who is crossing the line by attacking him for not sugar-coating his opinion that he was ASKED FOR.

If you reeeeally think he went over the line, why don't you just report him instead of attacking him?

I wouldn't mind another contest, if WotC are looking to bring something new to the table to the extent Eberron, Darksun, and Planescape did. I'm not interested in another bog standard Tolkienesque euro-fantasy world. If they want to go that route they already have Birthright, Dominaria, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Mystara, and Nentir Vale sitting in the docks.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
No he did not. Go re-read what he actually said and READ it, don't just ass-u-me what it says because you think it is insulting something you value.
He did. It's in post number 5: "I detest Eberron." Still... that his feelings towards it and he has every right to feel that way towards something... er... fictional.

Aldarc

Legend
He never insulted anything. Just because someone does not like something you do, does not mean it is an insult. Just because you personally don't think agree with critical negative comments does not make them insulting.

No he did not. Go re-read what he actually said and READ it, don't just ass-u-me what it says because you think it is insulting something you value.
I hope not, as I would like attention paid to other existing settings, and I detest Eberron.
This was his first post in the thread.

Calling something adolescent is not naming calling. It is using descriptive language to communicate a specific connotation. You should not be offended for liking "adolescent" things. In my 5th decade of life their are many things I enjoy and value that are decidedly "adolescent".
I'm fairly certain that someone calling something 'adolescent' in the context of why they dislike said thing is meant to disparage said thing.

For example, I really like the Eberron Setting. But I just can't get past the incredibly "stupid" time line. Age of Demons 1,000,000 years? Age of Giants 80,000 years ago? Etc., Etc. It just totally took the setting and kicked it right in the teeth for me. Even a race that lives for a 1000 years gonna have a hell of a time remembering what happened 1,000,000 years ago. And the Orcs are the guardians against the demon incursion. A race that lives 80 years? Really? Hell, they don't even appear in the time line until 30,000 years ago. 70,000 YEARS after the end of the age of demons. AAAaaaargh!
I definitely would have preferred a tighter timeline for Eberron, though I could buy into the age of demons more if it described the primordial state of the world, though it would be more difficult then to say why dragons were there, though that could have been because of the three primogenitor dragons. But I chalk most of this stuff up to unreliable narrator and people of the world having an imperfect grasp of time.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm glad you are approaching this from a close-minded perspective since that spares you any discomfort of engaging in any good faith dialogue.

He stated an opinion. That is a legitimate thing to do.

He specifically *didn't* ask for you, or anyone, to try to persuade him otherwise. You are not entitled to an opportunity to do so. Don't get on his case for not accepting a thing he didn't ask for.

If he wants to be fixed in his idea, that's fine, so long as he doesn't barrage people with it and significantly interrupt a conversation. Are we clear? If not, please take it to PM or e-mail to discuss.

Mycroft

Banned
Banned
I wouldn't mind another contest, if WotC are looking to bring something new to the table to the extent Eberron, Darksun, and Planescape did. I'm not interested in another bog standard Tolkienesque euro-fantasy world. If they want to go that route they already have Birthright, Dominaria, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Mystara, and Nentir Vale sitting in the docks.

Mystara is actually pretty exotic and different. You got subterranean Aztec elves, a Japanese moon you can fly to, the whole planet is hollow with a sun suspended in the middle, with all sorts of interesting races and cultures inside (Black Lore/nonmagical elves, Aussie-Outback style Orcs).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases