Campaigns in a nutshell. Adventures in a sentence.

Loonook

First Post
Well... This could be difficult. Or easy; either way. Most of these will be Modern, as I figure it would just be easier to give highlights of my last 3 years or so and not run down all of the campaigns.

Legends of the Three-and-a-Half Samurai: A game without a group, still think this one will play well. Mid-level, Small PCs only, a setting that is to Asia what Tomorrowland is to the Future. A fun one to run... we hope.

Riders of the Plains: Horsies and Hijinx. One player dies 18 times in 15 sessions due to poor play/negligence. A lot of setting, but most people wanted to hack and slash. Campaign called on account of scattered group before 'plot' comes into play. I blame this one on alcohol and the prison cell atmosphere of our then gaming room.

Year of the Pretender: Thirteen leaders attempt to take over a large city with some large problems. Players back one of the Pretenders to the throne, and hilarity ensues. Doppelgangers, Shadows, and the occasional Celestial dominate. Big ending in a battle between two demigods. Day is won by a young housewife who happens to be carrying the true heir. A Wyrm is defeated by a paladin performing shield bashes... I still don't know how it happened.

Hit the Road to Dreamland (D20 Modern): Post-WW2 US, a bunch of plots; 1st game ended due to apathy. 2nd game currently being staged; we're wondering how it's to come out.

A Hard Rain (D20 Modern): 1964. Watch as college students get involved in affairs of the heart and fight against madness, only to prevent the coming apocalypse as brought on by three young fiends trying to make their way in this work-a-day world. Characters include a painting turned soldier, a folk-singer turned revenant, and a girl and her dog.

Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine (D20 Modern): 1976. On the eve of the Bicentennial, a group of questionable ethics stops the opening of a Gate to Heaven. Almost. A ghostly wannabe mafioso, a former gun-runner, and an itinerant magus come to the show.

Waiting for My Man (D20 Modern): 1984. Sex, Drugs, and Dwarven Punk. Death isn't just a reality; it seemed to be a PC all on its own. Three runs, 27 character deaths . . . extremely unlucky for all involved.

As Yet Untitled Game (d20 Modern): 1990s. The family of Aasimar who pray together slay together. Homeless holy warriors, a guy who is too 'in love' with electronics to be trusted, a Fisher King in the making, a young ectomancer with hormones rivaling arcana, and a strung-out fairy as possible lynch-pin to the whole deal. Yeah; even as the DM I'm just as confused as you are on how this one's coming out.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Record of the Logos War

In a time before memory, powers unknown have created a world in which all was designed for physical recreation. Certain adventure scenarios were acted out between live beings and androids (or homonculus or fully humanoid Warforged, for a true fantasy setting).

Then the creators died. The planet's AI, however, lived on, and sought out inspiration for new scenarios, dispersing probes throughout the universe. When it found Earth through its remote drones, it scoured the planet's fantasy fiction for ideas.

Now, the planet is dotted with cities plucked from the works of a variety of writers- Haven, Tanelorn, Lankhmar, Sanctuary, Ankh-Morpork and others dot the world...all rully populated with androids (including the heroes).

Now the world just needs players, and it has reprogrammed its drones to make teleporter rings to bring them to the game...

(PCs may be either be androids, homonculi/Warforged, or sentient beings from whatever race that stepped through a T-port ring.)

I can't take credit for this next one- it was originally proposed by a mod (Umbran, as I recall) who posted it in a thread about games centered around animals rather than humanoids.

He proposed that you could run a campaign in which the players PCs are all animals that we would normally consider to be supporting NPCs- familiars, animal companions, special mounts, etc.

One of their number is "The Annointed One" and they have all been called to gather around these humanoids in order to achieve their goals. Essentially, the humans become the companions.

<Edit>

I found it!

(From this thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=225107&page=1&pp=15 )
Umbran Post #29
He's still young, and doesn't know it yet, but the kitten is actually The Golden Cat, a prophesied cat hero who has his own quest, and will save the world for all catkind. There will be a string of events throughout the campaign that the party will thoroughly misunderstand, where the cat's adventures impinge upon the human world.

Just like a human hero, along the way he'll pick up his own companions that start showing up and hanging around (these may include any mounts or Animal Companions the PCs may have - they think they have Human Companions...). You get the idea. One always talks about how the PCs are not the only adventuring party in the game world, right? Well, in a magical world, why do they all have to be human?

Read Tad Williams' Tailchaser's Song, or Gabriel King's The Wild Road and The Golden Cat for references.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Lifted from Simon R. Green's Haven stories (featuring Hawk & Fisher):

On the Street of Gods

The city of Haven has a street that is only a half mile long on the maps, but cannot be traversed end to end in less than a week...Its spacially warped length is devoted entirely to temples dedicated to the worship of otherworldy beings- Gods? Demons? Only the beings themselves know for sure.

You don't care. You're here because you have a job to do.

You are a member of the city's Watch, but in a division especially formed to patrol this most dangerous of wards, namely the God Squad or S.W.A.T. (Special Wizardry And Tactics).

The GS is composed of at least one arcane spellcaster, a divine spellcaster and "muscle"- a warrior of some type. S.W.A.T. members may be arcane or divine casters, but their emphasis is on magic meant to be used in the tight spaces of buildings or in crowded city streets- "crowd control" you might say.

Unfortunately, things have been getting rowdier on the Street of Gods, and the City's council has decided that the ranks of the GS need beefing up, at least for now.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Conquistodors

The PCs are part of a group of intrepid adventurers and explorers who have set out to find and settle a new continent to the west. Each has his o her own reason for joining in this dangerous undertaking.

When landfall finally occurs (after many adventures at sea*), the survivors of the arduous journey set up camp and begin to build a permanent settlement.

And then the discovery comes that the new world is inhabited by beings just as intelligent as any they left behind.

Some in the expedition seek to conquer these new cultures, others seek to befriend them.

Which are you?

*fill in the blanks!

LostSoul

Adventurer
A campaign of Burning Empires, distilled:

Tannhauser Gate was a glittering jewel adrift in space. Cheb, an inhuman man with dreams of glory and power, wanted it for himself.

But he fell in love.

And so he died.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The Nancy Drow Mysteries

(D20 Modern/Urban Arcana/Forgotten Realms, PC lvl 3-5)

The PCs are all newly hired investigators at Nancy Drow Investigations, a mid-sized but highly reputable agency. While all relatively new to "the game" they all have excellent recommendations.

On their first day on the job- just after orientation, actually- one of the agency's executive partners' kids is kidnapped. A ransom demand is made, a timeline is set, a dire penalty is threatened. The PCs are tapped for the investigation since- as newbies- they're unlikely to be recognized as NDI agents, and even if they are, their sheer newness may lead the kidnappers to underestimate them.

Can they bring the villains to justice? Can they rescue the little girl?

Can they do so in time?

nerdronomicon

First Post
Twisted Fairy tales

I had an idea for a campaign based on a series of twisted fairy tales. Basically take a fairy tale and switch something up, swap gender roles so brave princesses are saving handsome princes, evil orphans are terrorizing good hearted witches, that sort of thing. I started the thread here and was told I ought to post a link in this thread. So here it is.

I'm still working on it, have some new ideas for it. I'll probably beef it up and post it in my blog eventually.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Draconibone

Michael Moorcock's Melnibonean environment, with a 4Ed twist.

Substitute Dragonborn for the Melniboneans (I know, I know- what about the Eladrin? See below.). After eons of global domination and many wars with the Tieflings, the Draconibonean Empire is in decline, so they've sealed their borders nearly completely. Their True Draconic ancestors slumber in an extradimensional space, waiting for release. Modern Dragonborn adventurers are extremely lassaiz faire, and make their way through the world as if they still ruled it. (If you have the linguistic chops, use Latin as their language.)

Use Tieflings as Pan Tangians. To challenge the Draconibonean Empire, Pan Tiefians made infernal pacts to improve their sorcery. However, their repeated clashes ruined both empires. Both nations are still powerful, but neither is as ascendant and dominant as once they were. Play up their infernal nature.

Now, merchant kingdoms rule the world, run by humans. Most powerful is a confederation of allied island city/states.

Elves? Forget 'em for the most part- especially the half-elves- but choose one kind of Fey to represent the Winged Folk. Eladrin with wings might work.

For additional fun, represent the barbaric races of the savage lands with Dark Sun style feral Halflings. You could also use Hobgoblins.

Warforged, if you want to use them, could be the remnants of arcane forces from both the Draconibonean and Pan Tiefian empires. They would also make excellent Agents of Law.

Similarly, any shapechanging race- Shifters, Changelings, Doppelgangers and Lycanthropes- would make fine Agents of Chaos.

Minotaurs could be the failed experiments in Pan Tiefian infernal pacts, exemplars of what could go wrong...or they could be a brutish but desired effect of an infernal pact, making them the martial equivalent of the more sorcerous Tieflings. IOW, Tieflings and Minotaurs are magical "close cousins," and could arise in the same family.

Oni could be the "secret masters" behind the Pan Tiefian empire.

Last edited:

Weregrognard

First Post
My next 4E campaign's hook:

The PCs wash up on the shores of an island, remembering very little. Can they survive the dangers of the Isle of Dread and remember their forgotten mission in time to complete it or will they fall prey to the machinations of the isle's Yuan-ti masters?

Note: It is ironic that a horrible movie like 10,000 B.C. can inspire ideas for a cool campaign :D

Remove ads