D&D 5E Can 5e Be Mythic?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Then give the fighter legendary actions instead of Action Surge. 1 at level 2, then 1 more every time they gain an additional extra attack.
Something of that sort could be a possibility which is why I feel the core fighter needs improvements ... Note with 5 minute rest variant and real reactions an offensive fighter could have riposte maneuvers or if they are a defense mode using the reactions like a sentinel or with adjustments to allow parry to protect an ally or self.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I’ve started running a game similar in style to traditional European fair tales. It’s heavy on the morality tale angle and more sinister than any of my previous games.
Russian fairy tales are a pattern I have used for my daughters solo adventuring. Where along the journey you gather allies from potential enemies or from acts of mercy and the like all needed to finish the finale in style it suits her personality.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Then give the fighter legendary actions instead of Action Surge. 1 at level 2, then 1 more every time they gain an additional extra attack.
Make this a change to the extra attack ability it benefits the fighter more but yes situationally. Let any class that gets it potentially make an additional extra opportunity attack. One could also alter various things like the BM fighter riposte or even parry to count as an opportunity attack. Arguably make it any maneuver that uses your reaction can be done as though it were an opportunity attack.

Like the Cleave Action above it benefits multiple type of weapon wielding combatants but that is a feature of the stories too.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Make this a change to the extra attack ability it benefits the fighter more but yes situationally. Let any class that gets it potentially make an additional extra opportunity attack. One could also alter various things like the BM fighter riposte or even parry to count as an opportunity attack. Arguably make it any maneuver that uses your reaction can be done as though it were an opportunity attack.

Like the Cleave Action above it benefits multiple type of weapon wielding combatants but that is a feature of the stories too.
What I’d do specifically is, you have Heroic Actions per day equal to your proficiency mod, and gain more as you level. You can use it to do anything you could do in place of an attack as part of the attack action, make a single attack, or do something you could normally do as a reaction without spending your reaction.
You can also use 2 Heroic Actions to take any Action you can normally take, after your or another creature’s turn.

And then yeah I’d also make pretty much all reaction attacks read such that they are opportunity attacks so stuff synergises better.

Might give more Heroic Actions per day, but the above reflects how many additional attacks Action Surge gives already, but allows a more diverse set of tactics with it.

Also, I’d rewrite the Protection Fighting Style. Firstly, it would reduce damage, so it’s never wasted. If you reduce the damage to 0, the attack misses, and the ally can move 5ft without provoking. You can do this 1/round without using your reaction.

I might also add a tank style where the space within 5ft of you is difficult terrain for enemies, and allies don’t provoke when moving within 10ft of your space, or soemthing.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
What I’d do specifically is, you have Heroic Actions per day equal to your proficiency mod, and gain more as you level. You can use it to do anything you could do in place of an attack as part of the attack action, make a single attack, or do something you could normally do as a reaction without spending your reaction.
You can also use 2 Heroic Actions to take any Action you can normally take, after your or another creature’s turn.
A replacement for Action Surge?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Demigod/Dragon/Sidhe/Daemonic aka Mythic Bloodlines.
Your attributes may exceed 20 (perhaps only if by boosts from your bloodline?). Choose a Primary and secondary attribute representing your aspects and divine heritage. At level 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19 you gain a +1 to your primary and secondary attributes. Bonuses from some magic items such as to hit and damage may be reduced by 1 if an associated attribute exceeds 22 or 2 if it exceeds 24 or 3 if it exceeds 26.

Mythic Heritage Boons Essentially you gain early boons throughout your early career these are like epic boons these however interfere with your ability to attune magic items it could be as simple as each boon reduces the number of magic items you can attune by 1 (maximum 3 default). These should be flavored according to the style of ones bloodline. These might show up somewhere around levels 6 11 and 16.

Optional General Competence (Mythic) : Add +1 to all attributes at levels 5 10 15 20 - not really needed but it adds a symmetry of taking attributes up to 30 without being a Barbarian :p and while one could instead allow a barbarian like boost to other classes this also represents overall awesomeness that is not entirely focused on your aspects.

Last edited:

Demigod/Dragon/Sidhe/Daemonic aka Mythic Bloodlines.
Your attributes may exceed 20 (perhaps only if by boosts from your bloodline?). Choose a Primary and secondary attribute representing your aspects and divine heritage. At level 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19 you gain a +1 to your primary and secondary attributes. Bonuses from some magic items such as to hit and damage may be reduced by 1 if an associated attribute exceeds 22 or 2 if it exceeds 24 or 3 if it exceeds 26.

Mythic Heritage Boons Essentially you gain early boons throughout your early career these are like epic boons these however interfere with your ability to attune magic items it could be as simple as each boon reduces the number of magic items you can attune by 1 (maximum 3 default). These should be flavored according to the style of ones bloodline. These might show up somewhere around levels 6 11 and 16.

Optional General Competence (Mythic) : Add +1 to all attributes at levels 5 10 15 20 - not really needed but it adds a symmetry of taking attributes up to 30 without being a Barbarian :p and while one could instead allow a barbarian like boost to other classes this also represents overall awesomeness that is not entirely focused on your aspects.
You know supernatural gifts are already in the DMG and Theros. And epic boons too.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You know supernatural gifts are already in the DMG and Theros. And epic boons too.
I do not have access to the Theros book. What kind of gifts are they granting?

Epic boons only occur in the over 20 range according to the DMG. These are specifically part of your normal advancement not end game treats. Somebody wants to feel Mythic you might want it earlier... you want that to feel like it has a price? And can fit in the relatively normal balance have it replace attuned magic items. (kind of like how the 1e Paladins abilities were "supposed to" )

And supernatural gifts in the DMG look to be utterly out of the players control and achieved whenever it fits the story, ie rewards much like receiving a magic item but having no impact on attunement. And these would be above and beyond anything else acquired they are because of your bloodline and a standard level acquired thing. Kind of like a supremish racial ability that awakens as you discover your heritage.

Boons seem bigger and more awesome than those gifts and these bloodline ones would need to be worth an attunement slot. Is that an assumption I am making? Hmmm looks them up again, some boons are pretty cosmetic in a game context (like the immortality one I see that as a take 2 it is minor effect with zero impact for most people's games I would say add the Perfect Health boon to be the physical manifestation of this immortality).

The flavor premise is the truly powerful are powerful independently not because of magic items.

Some boons if taken directly from the boon list might have level limits I suppose as the benefits are likely to be obnoxious at level 6.

Last edited:

Remove ads