• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a Grabbed Target Make Attacks?

The_Universe

First Post
I'm sure this has already been determined by numerous others, but I'm not having any luck.

Based on the way I'm reading the effects of the Grab action, a grabbed target is Immobilized...but still able to freely attack the creature that grabbed it, or even other, adjacent creatures. Is that right?

If so, is there really any beneft to grabbing somebody?

mattdm

First Post
Based on the way I'm reading the effects of the Grab action, a grabbed target is Immobilized...but still able to freely attack the creature that grabbed it, or even other, adjacent creatures. Is that right?

Right.

Sure — they can't move! That can be huge.

I think it's deliberately meant to not be a general-case representation of unarmed combat, specifically to avoid the debacle that was 3.xE grapple. It's there to represent what happens in cases where you do want to hold someone for whatever reason. (My players used it to keep an enemy scout from running away.)

Also, some monsters (crocodiles, for example, or mind flayers) have powers that work specially on grabbed targets.

Shroomy

Adventurer
There was a lot of benefit to those bleeping stirges that grabbed my character the other night. 5 extra damage every round and a +5 bonus to Reflex and AC; luckily, I fey step'd out of there before it got too hairy.

frankthedm

First Post
I think it's deliberately meant to not be a general-case representation of unarmed combat, specifically to avoid the debacle that was 3.xE grapple.
I also think it's deliberately meant to not be a "screw over the lone foe" effect grapple rules far too often are.

babinro

First Post
The target is essentially only denied their move action and needs to make use of it to get out of the grab. I personally don't care for the new grab simply because it seems too forgiving.

I don't really see how a grabbed for could still attack accurately with a longbow without any penalties...or a maul. Grab should probably also apply penalties to attack roles (standard -2 would probably suffice)..or possibly limit the weapons that can be used. I agree that the 3.x rules were unnecessarily confusing though. A happy medium would probably be best.

The_Universe

First Post
Alright. That's what I thought. Unfortunate.

I agree with those who feel that the Grab is too forgiving (and far too easy to escape from)! My players attempted numerous time to Grab their enemies last night, and, even when and if they were successful, the enemies were able to Escape unharmed (and not even seriously inconvenienced) immediately upon their turns.

It seems statistically strange...characters must make a strength attack to initiate the Grab, but the Grabbed target gets to use a skill (and the accordingly higher modifier) to escape! Unless you simply accept that you've been Grabbed, it seems there's almost no circumstance where someone or something could be Grabbed for more than half a round!

I agree with those who feel that the Grab is too forgiving (and far too easy to escape from)! My players attempted numerous time to Grab their enemies last night, and, even when and if they were successful, the enemies were able to Escape unharmed (and not even seriously inconvenienced) immediately upon their turns.

It seems statistically strange...characters must make a strength attack to initiate the Grab, but the Grabbed target gets to use a skill (and the accordingly higher modifier) to escape! Unless you simply accept that you've been Grabbed, it seems there's almost no circumstance where someone or something could be Grabbed for more than half a round!

Grabbing is mostly useful if you really don't want your foe to escape, or if you have special abilities keyed off from grabbing/immobilizing.
Anyone not trained in Athletics or Acrobatics will still have a hard time escaping, even front-line fighters - for example a "Protecting Paladin" build.

Overall, grabbing is as weak or strong as Bullrush, I think. Maybe that is too forgiving? Maybe we just need a few more powers or feats keyed off grabbing/immobilizing.

It is a big shift from 3E, where Grapple was the uber-combat option for larger foes and it seemed as if every second monster or more had Improved Grab.

Nebulous

Legend

Agreed that it's a little weak. And what happens when 4 zombies grab the same person? I guess it's just a +2 modifier to the DC per zombie.

I think though as 4e expands, more powers will start to stack onto the relatively simple "base grab" to make it more complex...maybe even as tricky as the 3.x grapple was.

But yeah, as written, you basically just lose a move action, although that can be pretty devastating in the right circumstances.

Nail

First Post

Yep.

"Exception-based design", remember? If it doesn't say it, it ain't so.

For PCs? Not really.

For monsters - like minions - grabbing might allow the rest to surround the PC.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Grabbing is pretty bad, UNLESS you have a power to boost it. The rogue powers stab and grab and garrotte make grabbing a lot better.

Personally I'm glad that characters never stop being able to play even when grabbed, restrained and swallowed by gelatinous cubes.

Remove ads