• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can a multiclassed Rogue/Wizard use spells to sneak attack?

Tom Cashel

First Post
Not sure about this one, and don't have my PHb with me (at work) to check the Sneak Attack description on page 47.

So...could a multiclassed Rogue/Wizard use a spell to sneak attack? Do the rules specifically speak to this question or will it be a matter of how the rules are interpreted?

Thanks in advance, folks...
Tommy

Li Shenron

Legend
I'd say yes, though the spell MUST be an attack spell, such as a Touch attack spell or Range Touch attack spell, and must deliver damage (a spell that would require an attack roll, possibly score a critical, etc.).

I think you'll still be restricted to SA rules: for example, you must be within 30ft if it is a ranged touch attack.

Antikinesis

First Post
I believe it was Monte who pointed out that the rules as written allow sneak attacks with spells that require an attack roll, but it might be unbalancing for the game since it's MUCH easier for a rogue to make a touch attack than to try to beat a target's AC.

SA damage applies to HP only (not level or ability drains), the spell must actually do HP damage, the SA damage is of the same type as that done by the spell (cold, acid, fire, etc.), can't be more than 30 ft away, etc....

-AK

IceBear

Explorer
The full rules are in Tome and Blood. The above posts pretty much summarized the rules - must cause damage, must require an attack roll. One thing to add, if the spell creates multiple missles then treat the spell as shuriken for sneak attack damage.

IceBear

Noman

First Post
Antikinesis said:
SA damage applies to HP only (not level or ability drains), the spell must actually do HP damage, the SA damage is of the same type as that done by the spell (cold, acid, fire, etc.), can't be more than 30 ft away, etc....

-AK

Actually, a weaponlike spell (according to T&B, p.79 Weaponlike Spells; Sneak Attacks) doesn't have to cause HP damage. It specifically stated a spell's "damage may be normal damage, subdual damage, ability damage, or energy drain" for the purpose of critical hits and sneak attacks. The SA bonus will be "of the same type as the spell deals."

So if a 1st level Rogue/7th level Wizard scores a critical SA with Enervation, you will bestow 2d4 negative levels + 1d6 points of negative energy damage.

Too bad it won't work with Bestow Curse, it'd be fun to do SA damage in addition to -6 Con.

I wonder how it would work with Vamperic Touch. Would you get temporary HP from the SA damage inflicted as well?

FANGO

First Post
I had a rogue3/sorc9 (i think thats what she was at the time, at least) who once did 12 points of damage to a red dragon with a ray of frost. It was pretty rad.

Darklone

Noman said:
I wonder how it would work with Vamperic Touch. Would you get temporary HP from the SA damage inflicted as well?

Sure it works. But it still sucks since you don't do more damage with the spell + SA than a single class wizard of the same characterlevel with the spell alone. Plus: you have to be able to deliver a sneak attack to the target.

Darklone

FANGO said:
I had a rogue3/sorc9 (i think thats what she was at the time, at least) who once did 12 points of damage to a red dragon with a ray of frost. It was pretty rad.

Harhar. What did the dragon do? Died from laughing? Accidently stepped on her *squish*?

Someone call the B.A.D.D. for annoying a dragon!

Remove ads